Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2022, 12:18 PM   #21
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think they have got caught up in the whole BOA hype and are not playing their game. Goals are fun and all but this fire wagon hockey plays into the Oilers hands. They could take a page out of the Stars playbook and slow down the pace of the game, waiting to capitalize on Oilers mistakes.
You can only play the Stars game if you have a goalie

Imagine defending 1 goal lead with Markstrom the way he is playing
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #22
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t have a problem with Markstrom last night. Two breakaway goals (and two breakaway saves), leaving McDavid wide open are 3 of 5.

D has lost confidence for sure. And playing without Tanev, are racking up minutes.

Special teams messes up Flames bottom 6 line superiority like it did 4 on 4 vs Dallas.

Flames still have a ton of chances but seem lackadaisical in finishing; Backlund figuring it’s still warmup and not getting a shot on net is embarrassing.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #23
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder had Backlund not had that puck roll of his stick in alone to make it 3-0, and he does so, how that game would have ended up flowing?
Old 05-21-2022, 01:21 PM   #24
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I wonder had Backlund not had that puck roll of his stick in alone to make it 3-0, and he does so, how that game would have ended up flowing?
To be totally honest just more penalties starting sooner against the Flames.
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlindMilwaukee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 01:36 PM   #25
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I think you burn the tape from the first game, but not from last night's. Flames cant defend like that when Mcdavid is on the ice or you will lose more games than you win. Tim Hinter nailed it with comments last night saying when playing McDavid 1 on 1 you cant be too aggressive by attacking him and instead try and maintain position between him and the net. That Zadorov play where McDavid just took the bump then left Zad in his dust was prime example.

This is it — go at him and he’ll make you look foolish, either by spinning away or with a quick lateral move, which is maybe his primary superpower. Keep him outside and force him to make a play — still dangerous, but lesser so.

Flames confidence has to have taken a hit last game. Here’s where Sutter and the vets have the make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 02:01 PM   #26
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
I keep saying this, but if McDavid crashes the net hard like he does, Markstrom has every right to stand his ground. I mean just stand there at the top of his crease, and take the hit. If he runs markstrom once, I think we have licence to go after him until he stops doing it. the refs can't ignore it either.

The gameplan has to be to keep him to the outside, and if he runs markstrom, make him pay. I mean literally knock his teeth out.
The problem is the NHL is setting the table with tons of pp's and 4on4 to get McDavid the most open ice possible. They are stacking the deck in his favour to drive marketing of his star status. He proved over the years he can't get it done 5v5, so the league has chosen to go this route. Next stop is moving to 3 minute pp's a d a third period that's played 4 on 4.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:08 PM   #27
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the fancy stats has the Flames losing this series. Going to be interesting how Sutter and the analytics set try and spin this.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #28
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
The turning point for me was the penalty Tkachuk to make it 4 on 4 resulting in McDavid's goal. It's 3-1 at that point and it looks like Nurse is taking a penalty to put the Flames back on the PP. The Flames had huge momentum at that point and wouldn't have been surprised to see them make it 4-1. Instead Tkachuk takes the unneeded penalty and McDavid drags the Oilers back into the game. I think Darryl mentioned this as his turning point in the game as well. Hopefully being on the road will let the Flames to play more structured game.
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #29
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

While I agree a big momentum killer on the Tkachuk call there.. Nurse was never gonna get a penalty called against him.
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #30
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

The product that we saw last night, with the sloppy hockey and the PPs....that's the product that the nhl WANTS to put on the ice.

They are horrified by the series that Dallas/Calgary had.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #31
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
The product that we saw last night, with the sloppy hockey and the PPs....that's the product that the nhl WANTS to put on the ice.

They are horrified by the series that Dallas/Calgary had.

That is sad. I much preferred the Dallas series.

NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #32
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
All the fancy stats has the Flames losing this series. Going to be interesting how Sutter and the analytics set try and spin this.
No.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:06 PM   #33
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pre-series was the same narrative as it is ahead of a big game 3:

Disciplined hockey, no after the whistle BS, no headhunting, no tough guy stuff especially from anyone not named Lucic, and stay out of the penalty box.

5 on 5 the neutral and defensive zone coverage needs to be tighter and more consistent.

Markstrom must be above a .910 save percentage

Old 05-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #34
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little positivity. In 120 minutes of this series Flames have been ahead or tied for 110 minutes. Series is tied. Best of five. Get the split snd we are in good shape.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 06:13 PM   #35
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindMilwaukee View Post
While I agree a big momentum killer on the Tkachuk call there.. Nurse was never gonna get a penalty called against him.
When he hooked Toffoli around the neck on the flyby? The league used to come down hard and that and it’s probably been a decade since I saw anyone get a penalty off that. No surprise it was Nurse.

We could also get rid of flybys, that’s a Junior/AAA hockey thing that’s long wore out its novelty.

Last edited by browna; 05-21-2022 at 06:15 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:41 PM   #36
sarge
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone else here think that in Sutter's presser he should have mentioned all of the stick grabbing that McHobo has been doing and getting away with? That, and all of the intentional offensive zone pick plays? These two things may end up greatly increasing the chances of the Coilers winning the series. It's so blatantly obvious, but if he brings it up, I think it could start a groundswell of more fans league wide complaining about clear officiating favoritism the Coilers are getting. Hopefully, it would embarrass the NHL, and have more non Coiler fans questioning the legitimacy of the officiating, especially at a time that all of the sports betting is being pushed on us.
sarge is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarge For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #37
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge View Post
Does anyone else here think that in Sutter's presser he should have mentioned all of the stick grabbing that McHobo has been doing and getting away with? That, and all of the intentional offensive zone pick plays? These two things may end up greatly increasing the chances of the Coilers winning the series. It's so blatantly obvious, but if he brings it up, I think it could start a groundswell of more fans league wide complaining about clear officiating favoritism the Coilers are getting. Hopefully, it would embarrass the NHL, and have more non Coiler fans questioning the legitimacy of the officiating, especially at a time that all of the sports betting is being pushed on us.

I think you can be sure that he would mention it if he thought it would help the team win. He’s never been afraid to call out refs and it seemed like he was close in this press conference. Perhaps he’s worried that it will result in reprisals more than help the team.

NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NegativeSpace For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 11:32 PM   #38
Rising_Oil_Prices
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Oilers are +24, in the playoffs so far, as a team, the flames are even. Please explain how the flames are the much superior team 5 on 5 and the oilers only score because of garbage penalties and their power play, in these playoffs? Also in this series, you’ve outscored the oilers on the pp 2-1. I’ve read a lot on here about the refs, and how it’s lopsided to favour the oilers, and yet the stats in the actual playoffs so far, don’t match up with this narrative. 5 on 5 hockey favours edm thus far and by a considerable margain. At some point the regular season stats lose their validity if they continually don’t match up with what’s happening on the ice in the current playoffs.
Rising_Oil_Prices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:37 PM   #39
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Oil_Prices View Post
Oilers are +24, in the playoffs so far, as a team, the flames are even. Please explain how the flames are the much superior team 5 on 5 and the oilers only score because of garbage penalties and their power play, in these playoffs? Also in this series, you’ve outscored the oilers on the pp 2-1. I’ve read a lot on here about the refs, and how it’s lopsided to favour the oilers, and yet the stats in the actual playoffs so far, don’t match up with this narrative. 5 on 5 hockey favours edm thus far and by a considerable margain. At some point the regular season stats lose their validity if they continually don’t match up with what’s happening on the ice in the current playoffs.
In the 2nd round

5 on 5 GF% Calgary 52.94 Edmonton 47.06

In the playoffs as a whole

5 on 5 GF% Calgary 54.29 Edmonton 53.33
Old 05-21-2022, 11:40 PM   #40
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Oil_Prices View Post
Good thing you’re not a lawyer. Uh objection your honour, totally irrelevant.

If the Flames had played the same (essentially non-playoff team) in Round 1 our numbers would be even more skewed although we would likely have disposed of the Kings in four.

But thanks for showing up.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post: