Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-20-2022, 10:02 AM   #1
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brady Tkachuk appreciation thread

So everyone knows and has seen Brady crushing it so far in the playoffs. It’s been a pretty hot topic lately, but I’m pretty sure most people think it’s awesome.

Francis actually had a good article yesterday about it, with some interesting nuggets:

Quote:

High-fiving fans, posing for selfies and unabashedly enjoying the ride his brother’s team and city are on right now, Brady is every bit as popular in Calgary right now as his big bro.

“I guess the fans have been liking the energy I’m bringing,” smiled Brady.

“It speaks to how close a family we are. We’re all having fun with it. The most exciting thing is how pumped and much better (Matthew) is getting.”

He admits he was unsure how open he should be with his support, originally bristling at dad’s suggestion he take to the outdoor stage.

“I got in around 3 o’clock and they weren’t going to tell me, but he said, ‘I’ve got a surprise for you – I’ve got you doing shirts for Red Lot,” said Brady, whose family has long understood they’re in the entertainment business.

“I said, ‘ah geez, I play for another team. I probably shouldn’t.’ But they talked me into it.

I didn’t expect the reaction.”

People ate it up.

Keith Tkachuk had a viral moment of his own Wednesday when he was shown refusing to give up the hat from his cherished bar, O’B Clark’s, to celebrate his son’s hat trick.

“I’m not throwing my hat – we’re 3-0 when I wear that hat, and the net was there anyway,” he scoffed, when asked about fans pressuring him.

“I don’t listen to anybody… except Chantal (his wife).”

In the meantime, Brady is content to continue shouldering the load as Matthew’s biggest supporter — literally.

“The kid was sitting in front of us and as everyone was getting nervous for overtime in Game 7 I said to everyone, to make my family laugh, ‘when we score you’re going on my shoulders,” he explained.

“I completely forgot I said it, and then he turned around after Johnny scored and I said, ‘what the heck,’ and hoisted him up there. It was pretty funny.
Worth a read: https://www.sportsnet.ca/article/as-...ow-in-calgary/
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really a shame the Kings couldn't beat the Oilers in round 1.
He would have jumped into the King's bench and beat up Lemeiux after 6 beers!

But seriously, BEST mascot ever!!!!

Old 05-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's a beauty. I understand the hesitation when it comes to the optics of it all, but I don't think anybody should have a big problem with it. Ottawa will only benefit from him soaking up a playoff atmosphere ... I'm sure he'll lead them there at some point in the future.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have no issues with Matthew doing the same if the Sens went on a run like this. Hockey needs fun stuff like this. This is great exposure for the Sens too. I'm sure the PR guys from both teams have done their homework to make sure no lines are crossed.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 10:25 AM   #5
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should add, it sounds like Brady will be heading back to St Louis after Game 2, so he won’t be going to Edmonton:

Quote:
His brother’s Flames are 3-0 with boisterous Brady in the bunch.

“I know my dad is starting with, ‘you might have to come for Game 5…’ but I put my foot down,” laughed Brady.

“I’m excited to get home (to St. Louis) after Game 2, it’s almost been too much fun. It’s been a whirlwind. There wasn’t any return date but now there is after the fun we’re having. It’s almost a vacation here for me, as it’s a period after the season guys relax and get their bodies healed before starting summer training. I don’t have to deal with the stresses of the playoffs.
There were also some good quotes about how Brady is 100% all-in for the Senators (which is why he won’t wear any Flames gear). It’s also clear that the Tkachuk family are fiercely and unapologetically loyal to each other, and that includes Big Walt. Pretty cool to see.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #6
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brady and Matthew were celebrating with Robert Thomas when the Blues won in 2019

Would be awesome to see the Blues and Flames in the next round. The Tkachuk's are loved in ST. Louis
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #7
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So. How do we make him ours?
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foofighter15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 10:29 AM   #8
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If nothing else, the Sens will have my support in the playoffs in the future unless they are playing the Flames.

The flames and sens have never had a lot of animosity towards each other so I don't think I'd be angry if the shoe was on the other foot. However, if Brady played for the Lightning/oilers/canucks and Matthew was cheering, I might feel differently about it-but would probably get over it.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Brady and Matthew were celebrating with Robert Thomas when the Blues won in 2019

Would be awesome to see the Blues and Flames in the next round. The Tkachuk's are loved in ST. Louis
I never thought of that angle, that would actually be awesome.

Oh man, I really hope that happens now…
Old 05-20-2022, 10:30 AM   #10
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As usual, the fun parts of playoffs are organic, not forced. And, this is family, there are 10-15 other sets of Flames players parents in the crowd with no focus (until Guy Gaudreau enters). Mark Stone had back surgery but my guess is he may come to a game if the Flames get further to watch his brother, but camera won't be on him if he does attend.

Brady and the whole family seem great. Supporters of their brother/son and getting swept up in the atmosphere. Good on Brady for ignoring any conflict, too, with Sens.

Media will jump on this and expect more antics these playoffs and expect Matt to be at Sens game or Brady to be back here next year...but that's when it becomes less organic and more contrived from a media standpoint.

Will be interesting to see what the family does for the next 2 games after tonight; having myself been to Edmonton for Flames games when the Flames weren't cool (2000) through to 2006, Keith's hat will get stolen from him, beer poured on it or his and his families jacket, and him and Brady will be egged on to fight, if they sit among the mouth breathing unwashed masses.

Hopefully the Flames get them a box.

Last edited by browna; 05-20-2022 at 10:32 AM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:31 AM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
We don't.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 10:34 AM   #12
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll definitely be rooting a little more for the Sens now. I hope he gets to experience on the ice the same thing is brother is experiencing.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:52 AM   #13
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am wondering how he had 2 unopened beers in his back pockets during the game. The staff always open mine. He's a beauty but I draw the line at contravening Alberta liquor laws lol
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:55 AM   #14
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofighter15 View Post
There is actually a better chance they both end up in Ottawa, simply because Matt is a UFA in a year.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #15
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I am wondering how he had 2 unopened beers in his back pockets during the game. The staff always open mine. He's a beauty but I draw the line at contravening Alberta liquor laws lol
I've pulled this trick before. Just take a large sip out of each before putting them in the pockets so they don't spill over
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #16
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
There is actually a better chance they both end up in Ottawa, simply because Matt is a UFA in a year.
Matt is an RFA

he'd have to sign a 1 year deal to be UFA next year
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do Ultras really count as alcohol in Alberta? I thought they were just part of a complete breakfast.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:07 AM   #18
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Matt is an RFA

he'd have to sign a 1 year deal to be UFA next year
As I said, he's UFA in a year.

Players can always sign long terms contracts until then.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:20 AM   #19
teeschaber
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
It seems as if the families have access to their own bar under the stands so wouldn't doubt if its free reign
teeschaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:47 AM   #20
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is any coincidence that Matt has 4g and 2a in the three games since Brady arrived?

The Flames need to do whatever it takes to keep Brady and the Tkachuk family in the stands supporting him.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post: