Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #161
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington needs his security blanket tanev back.

Kylington is probably our fastest skater but I’m always amazed at how poor his balance is. He loses it a lot and not always at the most opportune time.

If I were managing the oiler’s bench I’d be getting mcdavid out as much as I could against Kylington
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #162
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Kylington, rightfully so, is getting the least amount of ice time this series as a defenseman. Stone is getting more time, and Zadorov has been getting 6-10 more minutes per game.

Kylington was responsible in some regard for some top quality chances against last night. Having him on the ice more against McDavid would be big trouble. Hannifin is fine but is playing a bit scared. He, and the team, need Tanev back to chew up minutes.
Kylington has played 8 less mins even strength than Zadorovin this series. Kylington has been on the ice for 1 goal to zadorov 4. Kylington been on ice for 9 high danger chances to zadorov 14. Flames d have been out to lunch a lot in this series not just kylington. Zadorov was out to lunch twice so far leaving McDavid alone in front of the net. Once when McDavid slide it 5 hole game 1 and then on tying goal. I think kylington and gubbranson would give the 2nd unit size and speed which is needed vs McDavid
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:06 PM   #163
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tanev is only 70% right now ( just making up a number) im not sure you want him in right now. 90% Tanev is an upgrade on almost all our D defensively. But a hurt Tanev may not be an upgrade. Its not like a forward position where you dont need to be at your best.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:14 PM   #164
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
If Tanev is only 70% right now ( just making up a number) im not sure you want him in right now. 90% Tanev is an upgrade on almost all our D defensively. But a hurt Tanev may not be an upgrade. Its not like a forward position where you dont need to be at your best.
I agree. I only consider him in a situation where he’s not 100% or close to it when we are actually down on series. Maybe even in an elimination situation
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:55 PM   #165
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

id take 80% tanev to get shilly doing better . we need a shutdown D to stop letting them walk right to the net and score
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames_Gimp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 01:02 AM   #166
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
id take 80% tanev to get shilly doing better . we need a shutdown D to stop letting them walk right to the net and score
The amount of walking down mainstreet to the net was driving me bananas.

That lane should not be vacant. Tanev would be in there angling players to the outside and poking pucks off of sticks, followed by an efficient exit pass or a patient corraling of the puck / turn away from danger until a route out of the zone is determined.

Miss ya Tanev.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #167
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Kylington needs his security blanket tanev back.

Kylington is probably our fastest skater but I’m always amazed at how poor his balance is. He loses it a lot and not always at the most opportune time.

If I were managing the oiler’s bench I’d be getting mcdavid out as much as I could against Kylington
Yup - OK's straightline speed is unbelievable, but he's not particularly maneuverable at any speed. If we're chasing 97 through zones then we're in trouble no matter what.

Z is also a bit of a pylon, but a much bigger pylon who might at least disrupt him with his reach. He got burned badly, but I don't think it was a terrible idea. Ideally we'd have a Trouba prowling the D-zone who can close quickly and throw surprising hits - he's caught Crosby & MacKinnon (though they aren't as shifty/slippery) - I bet most forwards play a much simpler game when Trouba's on the ice.

Even if you have a skater who can shadow him like PrimeTime Deion Sanders, 97'll just flail his arm back and get a BS call.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #168
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
In this series I’d prefer Kylingtons speed on McDavid over Zadorov size. As much as I’d love to see zadorov lay out McDavid it’s probably not happening and he’s more likely to get burnt by it

Tanev playing sound positionally is killing us so far.

It’s a series of our d falling asleep vs their terrible goalies. Smith settles down we desperately need our d to as well

That’s fair but it was Kylington who was giving the puck away that led to chances against. They kept giving the puck away on the oilers blue line.

I may be wrong but other than over playing McDavid with that hit on the first goal I thought Zadarov was fairly steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #169
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Steinberg was on the podcast yesterday saying that he watched Tanev in the optional practice and he can’t even shoot the puck. A defence man who can’t handle the puck is a liability. It sounds like he’s done for the year.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:13 AM   #170
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
Steinberg was on the podcast yesterday saying that he watched Tanev in the optional practice and he can’t even shoot the puck. A defence man who can’t handle the puck is a liability. It sounds like he’s done for the year.

Streinberg isn’t an expert on player injuries. He should keep his trap shut unti the Flames say something. Kinda like the Avalanche did with Girard last night.

Last edited by NOISIA; 05-24-2022 at 11:48 AM.
NOISIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:19 AM   #171
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

His job is to attend morning skates and report what he sees. Of course he may be wrong and Tanev may suit up today and he’s not in the doctor’s room or the coach’s office. He’s just reporting what he saw, which is the most information we have to date on him. It sounds like fans may be disappointed but he doesn’t sound close to ready to return.

Old 05-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #172
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISIA View Post
Strindberg isn’t an expert on player injuries. He should keep his trap shut unti the Flames say something. Kinda like the Avalanche did with Girard last night.

No he's not an expert....this is true. BUT he's around the team way more than any of us so keeping traps shut should automatically go to those who don't know at all so ....give it a try.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 10:26 AM   #173
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Good ol Strindberg.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 10:27 AM   #174
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'll never forget when Glen Healy was doing the Flames/Red Wings series in 2004, and was clearly all in for Detroit.

He started off a telecast analyzing Flames injuries specifically.

Was so off side from an impartiality stand point.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #175
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brodie was our anti-McDavid skating defenceman.

Kylington might replace that some day, but it's also clear that Tanev is somehow buoying Kylington's play, allowing for an effective pairing where both guys can play to their strength.

Shows what Tanev does for the D core here though too, like, everything is out of whack all of a sudden with him gone. Stone's great and we all love what he brings, but he's no Tanev.

I kinda feel like the team just figured they'd own Edmonton again in game 2, and got a little casual. I think even without Tanev the defence is good enough to block things up and take away chances. But giving up multiple breakaways and having a serious lack of communication and positioning.... that's gotta go away or this series is gonna get ugly fast.

Looking forward to a slightly more humble Flames team tonight.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:36 AM   #176
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

And like I said in the game story it's not just filling Tanev's minutes and role. It splinters everywhere.

Without Tanev the second pairing is no longer a second pairing, as Kylington isn't the same player without him, and Stone isn't Tanev.

But additionally the top pairing is getting a greater share of the tough matchups and they're not holding serve either.

The Tanev injury has pretty much changed the Flames d corp from two top pairings, and an excellent third pairing to a 2nd pairing, and two 3rd pairings.

Huge issue in this series, but you wouldn't know it because Nurse and Draisaitl are hurt.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2022, 10:37 AM   #177
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

The gamesmanship going on is so weird. Is Tanev out for the season? Is he close to returning? Who really knows.

On the other side does anyone here really believe Pissy has a high ankle sprain? Seems like misinformation from Edmonton media. The way he skated in his breakaway suggests to me he is fine.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #178
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
Brodie was our anti-McDavid skating defenceman.

Kylington might replace that some day, but it's also clear that Tanev is somehow buoying Kylington's play, allowing for an effective pairing where both guys can play to their strength.

Shows what Tanev does for the D core here though too, like, everything is out of whack all of a sudden with him gone. Stone's great and we all love what he brings, but he's no Tanev.

I kinda feel like the team just figured they'd own Edmonton again in game 2, and got a little casual. I think even without Tanev the defence is good enough to block things up and take away chances. But giving up multiple breakaways and having a serious lack of communication and positioning.... that's gotta go away or this series is gonna get ugly fast.

Looking forward to a slightly more humble Flames team tonight.
The Flames thought the game was over in game 1 as well and the all started trying to pad stats. They better wake up soon or tee times will be in their near future. I have a feeling they will be better prepared tonight.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #179
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And like I said in the game story it's not just filling Tanev's minutes and role. It splinters everywhere.

Without Tanev the second pairing is no longer a second pairing, as Kylington isn't the same player without him, and Stone isn't Tanev.

But additionally the top pairing is getting a greater share of the tough matchups and they're not holding serve either.

The Tanev injury has pretty much changed the Flames d corp from two top pairings, and an excellent third pairing to a 2nd pairing, and two 3rd pairings.

Huge issue in this series, but you wouldn't know it because Nurse and Draisaitl are hurt.

Would it be worthwhile to put Mackey in and running with 7 defence just to get a little extra rest for the defence and settle them down a touch? Or is the worry of a rookie in their first playoffs getting a steady diet of McDavid on last change.

Old 05-22-2022, 11:11 AM   #180
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
Would it be worthwhile to put Mackey in and running with 7 defence just to get a little extra rest for the defence and settle them down a touch? Or is the worry of a rookie in their first playoffs getting a steady diet of McDavid on last change.

Not in Edmonton they would do everything to pair Mackey with McDavid
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote