Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
Royal Eagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Red Lot/Oil District/Jurassic Park/Maple Leaf Square

No matter the team or the sport, its great to see to see huge crowds of passionate hockey/basketball fans cheering outside the arena after their team scores or wins the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Crosby is gonna remember that pass by Iginla, what a MFing pass by Iggy.

Last edited by Royal Eagle; 05-16-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Royal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't think that Oil Stain watch party holds a candle to Red Lot or Jurassic Park/Maple Leaf Square. Flames have done well building that party up - to the point it may be out of control and outgrown itself. But agree, great to see.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames will burn the Oil Pit to the f***ing ground!!!
Old 05-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Don't think that Oil Stain watch party holds a candle to Red Lot or Jurassic Park/Maple Leaf Square. Flames have done well building that party up - to the point it may be out of control and outgrown itself. But agree, great to see.
You'd almost think that maybe opening up the grandstand might be a good idea. They have bathrooms and concessions. They can drive some food trucks onto that side area beside the stage. Keep it general admission and allow people to stand up front or sit in the stands. I'd assume capacity there could be more than 5000.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
You'd almost think that maybe opening up the grandstand might be a good idea. They have bathrooms and concessions. They can drive some food trucks onto that side area beside the stage. Keep it general admission and allow people to stand up front or sit in the stands. I'd assume capacity there could be more than 5000.
Now there's an idea
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 03:18 PM   #6
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when the Oilers sold tickets to stand on the concourse at Rogers Place while the game happened? Because that was... no good.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3375070/s...rse-pass-plan/
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 03:22 PM   #7
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oil district is going to be 'the poop deck' soon.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:25 PM   #8
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Eagle View Post
No matter the team or the sport, its great to see to see huge crowds of passionate hockey/basketball fans cheering after their team scores or wins the game
No. No it is not a good thing.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:44 PM   #9
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

I wonder if you could do something at McMahon. Just think how many people you could pack into Calgary Next if it was a thing. Lol.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:27 AM   #10
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the record, the Red Lot is awesome. All those other gatherings are awkward corporate marketing attempts. LAME.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:32 AM   #11
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the red lot. It allows some of our best fans to feel like they are at the game. When I was 20 years old in 2004 I would have tried to go down to that venue a bunch if they had it. When I see it on TV I see mostly young fans who bring a ton of energy. The fact it looks like a mosh pit when the Flames score is awesome.

The red lot is great
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:36 AM   #12
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I love the red lot. It allows some of our best fans to feel like they are at the game. When I was 20 years old in 2004 I would have tried to go down to that venue a bunch if they had it. When I see it on TV I see mostly young fans who bring a ton of energy. The fact it looks like a mosh pit when the Flames score is awesome.

The red lot is great
It was what I dreamed of having in 2004. Basically created a mini version myself because I wanted exactly that so bad.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #13
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its already out of control...

People were paying to park on the grounds and then setting up in a truck drinking outside of the Red Lot...but still watching the game.

Seems a bit nuts to do that but I wasn't surprised when I heard it...
Old 05-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #14
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I thought there was another non sticky new arena thread.

It shows how important the Flames are to this city. Look at all the economic spin-offs currently with the Flames in the playoffs. It’s the same for the regular season.

Just approve and build the arena already. It’s public infrastructure that we really need just like the library or the new green line.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #15
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I thought there was another non sticky new arena thread.

It shows how important the Flames are to this city. Look at all the economic spin-offs currently with the Flames in the playoffs. It’s the same for the regular season.

Just approve and build the arena already. It’s public infrastructure that we really need just like the library or the new green line.
9 nights, and counting, of busy pubs doesn’t justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars to help a billionaire make more money off of his sports franchise which itself is worth over half a billion.

The real winners are the flames and ticketmaster, who are charging insane prices for tickets and making good coin on all those $10 beer sales at the red lot.

Flames are winners way more than the city. So why isn’t your post about how much the flames success is an economic boon for the flames owners and pressuring them to stop being cheapskates and pony up the money?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:13 PM   #16
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Flames are a business too and have to make money especially after the last couple years.

The roundup centre is currently under construction and expanding, that’s actually looking pretty good. A new arena will be very beneficial and even complimentary to this addition and have events outside hockey season.

You don’t think people aren’t making money from projects like the green line or the library or the ring road to name few.

Calgary needs this new infrastructure in my opinion. I’m sure there’s a good deal available for everyone. Plus you have something to show for tax dollars.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 01:17 PM   #17
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
9 nights, and counting, of busy pubs doesn’t justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars to help a billionaire make more money off of his sports franchise which itself is worth over half a billion.

The real winners are the flames and ticketmaster, who are charging insane prices for tickets and making good coin on all those $10 beer sales at the red lot.

Flames are winners way more than the city. So why isn’t your post about how much the flames success is an economic boon for the flames owners and pressuring them to stop being cheapskates and pony up the money?
As you said yourself though. 9 games doesn’t generate hundreds of millions of dollars. That’s probably the answer.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #18
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Flames are a business too and have to make money especially after the last couple years.

The roundup centre is currently under construction and expanding, that’s actually looking pretty good. A new arena will be very beneficial and even complimentary to this addition and have events outside hockey season.

You don’t think people aren’t making money from projects like the green line or the library or the ring road to name few.

Calgary needs this new infrastructure in my opinion. I’m sure there’s a good deal available for everyone. Plus you have something to show for tax dollars.
The city already agreed to a very generous deal.

The Flames decided that the cost to upgrade from the current building wasn't worth the benefits of upgrading from the current building.

In other words, it isn't a NEED at all - it's a WANT. If it were an existential issue, they wouldn't have dragged their feet for over a decade and would have sought a different path of compromise instead of giving up. If they can be patient, so can we.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote