Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #21
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

not at all since hockey happens on the ice in a game I'm not a participant in, so nothing i do has any impact on the outcome whatsoever
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #22
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Most playoff runs we get into I get to about a 8. It would be a 10 but I am sometimes slow to realize the manifestation of what brings good/bad luck.

2004 - Could not listen to 'In the Dome' on game days. Of course my school would play it on the PA on game days, so I had to plug my ears which got me a couple weird looks until I explained that it was a playoff superstition.

2015 - We had a perfect winning home record both rounds when I watched on a dinky little 17" CRT TV in the kitchen.

2018 - Canadian airspace. Had to travel overseas for a wedding. Things seemed to unravel rapidly as soon as I stepped off the boarding tunnel and onto the plane during Game 2, where they tied it with a couple minutes left then MacKinnon pulling a MacKinnon in OT.

2020 - The Cursed TV. Friend had a somewhat dated 55" flatscreen from the early 2010s. We lost every single game that playoffs watching on this TV. Including the one L to the Jets during the play-in. I only clued in after we lost Game 5 but my friend did not believe in the curse. I told him ok fine, if we win this game I'll drop the schtick but if lose this series to this curse... I'm never coming over to watch another playoff game on this TV.

So Game 6 starts, we go up rapidly 3-0, friend goes "See? There's no curse, this superstition stuff is bull". Swear to God almost right that moment that Hintz or someone made it 3-1 and then we proceeded to get dummied by the hockey gods that he mocked so egregiously, another 6 unanswered goals going in past Talbot/Rittich.

2022 - Trying to figure out what works so far still. But I'm wearing the same Flames t-shirt I had on when we won Game 4. Games 1-3 was the Reebok Home Red jersey.
And people think superstitions aren't real? This is undeniable proof right here.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:05 PM   #23
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very Superstitious for Playoffs. Everything from Attire, X # of Beers, Arrival time inside the dome ect. The list is long and I'm lazy to type it out.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:08 PM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
not at all since hockey happens on the ice in a game I'm not a participant in, so nothing i do has any impact on the outcome whatsoever
heathen
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #25
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Being a Flames, Coyotes, Suns, Dbacks fan.. i've learned the hard way that superstitions are STUPID
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #26
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Zero.

I would never allow myself to be so illogical and narcissistic to believe anything I do can effect a hockey game.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #27
MikkaVernon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Superstitious enough that I will be eating salmon as I did Monday and also wear the same shirt. I would say that makes me moderately superstitious. Strictly for playoffs.
MikkaVernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:28 PM   #28
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not religious or spiritual at all. I subscribe to the religion of physics if anything. But.... I still have pregame rituals and any clothes weve lost while i wore watching the game I wont wear again to watch the game. Stupid I know, but just in case my world view is completely wrong I dont want to leave it too chance that Ive caused a negative effect.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:29 PM   #29
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I try and stay out of the E=NG thread on gamedays.. I find poking too much fun at the Oilers results in karma later on. Though it's really tempting.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #30
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too own a cursed TV. Watched game 2 and 3 with my kid downstairs on the family TV and well we know what happened. I watched game 4 up here in my office thru the cbc feed, and sure it was almost a minute behind but......

So guess where I will be watching game 5
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #31
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a Monahan jersey that was good luck for a few years it seemed. Don't know if it ever really stopped being good luck, but I stopped wearing it as it was the Reebok cut and I prefer the fit of the new Adidas jerseys.

My dad passed away a few months ago and when I've been at games in person I've been wearing his watch and it's been perfect so far at the Dome.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 01:43 PM   #32
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I had a Monahan jersey that was good luck for a few years it seemed. Don't know if it ever really stopped being good luck, but I stopped wearing it as it was the Reebok cut and I prefer the fit of the new Adidas jerseys.

My dad passed away a few months ago and when I've been at games in person I've been wearing his watch and it's been perfect so far at the Dome.

So very sorry for your loss, keep wearing his watch and watch the game with him.
midniteowl is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 01:48 PM   #33
Ullr
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If I wear my Gaudreau jersey we win. If I wear my Tkachuk jersey we win. If I don't wear a jersey, we lose.
Ullr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:52 PM   #34
Lonestar
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Back in the baseball days I was a 10. I'd show up exactly 2 hrs before, get dressed in the same order, listen to the same playlist, warm-up in the same way right down to the amount of time on each stretch and movement...

Now I wear red on game days. So still a 10.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #35
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not true and you know it.

Given the username it's a good thing you are not participating.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:04 PM   #36
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not at all. Used to do playoff beards in college, but haven’t even done that for ten years.

That said, I was more engaged with the last 5 minutes of game 4 than any Flames game since game 6 against the Canucks in 2015.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:08 PM   #37
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
That's not true and you know it.

Given the username it's a good thing you are not participating.
It's definitely true. Johnny doesnt care what order you put your socks on and it has zero tangible effect on the outcome of the game

I mean the franchise has been in town since 1980 and has 1 cup. If superstitions actually mattered then based off of this thread, they should have more championships than what tron spends on one period in beer

If anything the playoff futility the flames have had over the last few decades should be signs that you should stop doing these things if you really cared
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:15 PM   #38
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Somewhat superstitious.

I didn't wear a jersey up until I came to CGY for the Dec 11 game against Boston that they lost and the whole organization got Covid. I haven't worn a jersey since then.
I do, however, make sure that I'm not wearing a shirt the same colour as the opposition.

Playoff wins this year have come by trash talking the Flames. They may never score again!
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #39
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's definitely true. Johnny doesnt care what order you put your socks on and it has zero tangible effect on the outcome of the game

I mean the franchise has been in town since 1980 and has 1 cup. If superstitions actually mattered then based off of this thread, they should have more championships than what tron spends on one period in beer

If anything the playoff futility the flames have had over the last few decades should be signs that you should stop doing these things if you really cared
Or...

maybe the fans of the other team are doing a better job of it
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #40
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Or...

maybe the fans of the other team are doing a better job of it
We might another Cup or two if people like stone hands would pull their weight...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote