Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2022, 08:10 PM   #41
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
All good; good resources for everyone.

It’s funny because I’m actually using the Old Gaming PC you had sold me to run the Retro Emulators and MAME through LaunchBox with an XArcade Stick.

Not sure if this will work or not but here is the basement set up.

https://youtube.com/shorts/H_283eD2cWA?feature=share

Have the Star Wars Arcade running all 30 of the Arcade1Up tables now too, leveraging the A1Pinner mod.

I haven't kept up with X-Arcade but we got an Xtension Sit Down Cabinet frame, not sure if they are related at all but I think Xtension shut down last year.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:46 PM   #42
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I haven't kept up with X-Arcade but we got an Xtension Sit Down Cabinet frame, not sure if they are related at all but I think Xtension shut down last year.
Yeah that’s RecRoomMasters shutting down that I mentioned. Super bummer.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #43
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Matt —- apologies for the hi-jack

So, I somehow missed this Alberta local builder, in Edmonton.
Retroactive Arcade https://retroactivearcade.ca/product...ght-gun-arcade

Decent 4 player build.
And then the 5,000 games list…
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...48440632991318

Further reading… games list is locked. Maybe Jamma, but I fear Pi.

Contacted them for confirmation.
And their reply.

Quote:
Good afternoon Cameron,
Apologies for the delayed response! All Signature Series machines are powered by a PC using our own proprietary frontend. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to answer them for you!

Jaclyne
Customer Service Manager
Anyone have experience with a boutique arcade builders proprietary FE? (smaller volume than an Arcade Legends for ex)

I'd like to check one out in person in the next few weeks. I'll letcha yall know if I do.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:47 AM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anybody looking to actually build their own MAME Arcade set up this is a pretty great deal for this xArcade tankstick.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-video-games-...nel/1607536000
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife: "You should get another Arcade game for your office..."

Um...yes dear!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm having an issue with my Arcade 1 Up where sun from the windows is fading the side art. I'm probably going to have to look at an aftermarket side art company one day. Has anybody done custom side art and applied a big decal to their cab before?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #47
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
My wife: "You should get another Arcade game for your office..."

Um...yes dear!
Put another ring on that one!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #48
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm having an issue with my Arcade 1 Up where sun from the windows is fading the side art. I'm probably going to have to look at an aftermarket side art company one day. Has anybody done custom side art and applied a big decal to their cab before?
I've done a few pinball cabinets, not incredibly difficult if you're careful. Lay the cabinet horizontal on a work bench. Line decal up, orient edges by shining a flashlight through to check for alignment. Weigh down one side and start applying first 8" on opposite end. Get rid of weight, roll up that end and keep going, cut the decal backing away in 8" sections.

Wet method is easy, spray as you go they squeegee away. Water with a small amount or soap or alcohol, get a smooth squeegee that won't scratch and be careful not to stretch decal. Some are made cheap, thin and almost stretchy.

Use a sharp utility knife and steady hand at correct angle to cut away excess decal material.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:49 PM   #49
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the planned Q4 cabinets leaked in the US last week.

- Time Crisis
- NFL Blitz
- Marvel vs Capcom II

I just bought Buck Hunter because I wanted a light gun cabinet but I think I’d have to double dip on a second light gun cabinet with Time Crisis.

If NFL Blitz are the old versions with actually licensed players then that would be tempting as well.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #50
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

We all know it has to be Time Crisis 2 to be worth getting.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:39 PM   #51
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time I see this thread get bumped I click on it hoping to see a house of the dead announcement and every time I’m disappointed.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:33 PM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My High Score on my Star Wars game was shamelessly shattered by an 8-year-old this afternoon.

I appear to suck at video games...who knew?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:07 PM   #53
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
My High Score on my Star Wars game was shamelessly shattered by an 8-year-old this afternoon.

I appear to suck at video games...who knew?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:17 PM   #54
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Yeah that’s RecRoomMasters shutting down that I mentioned. Super bummer.
https://recroommasters.com/
Old 10-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #55
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I just got an Atgames Gamer Mini (don't have the ability to try to modify a full cab yet) and have CoinOpsX running on it with ~1500 arcade games with a nice front end and cabinet art.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-25-2022 at 09:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 10:31 AM   #56
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I just got an Atgames Gamer Mini (don't have the ability to try to modify a full cab yet) and have CoinOpsX running on it with ~1500 arcade games with a nice front end and cabinet art.

I think this set up might be pefect for my needs as I neither have the time nor the skill to build my own cabinet. I just watched the video you posted, thanks for that, a couple quick questions I hoped you might be able to help with.

1.How difficult is it to get the CoinopsX set up on this? Ive built some basic retropie machines and played around with Attract Mode a bit but I like the idea of having some actual arcade sticks and buttons.

2. Any thoughts on the Legends Mini Pro version? I see it's about 250$, worth the upgrade in your opinion?

Anything else that might be good to know? Thank you, much appreciated.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #57
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly check Facebook Marketplace or Kijiji for the Legends Pro - I've seen them as low as $150 on there before. The Brick takes pretty heavy discounts on them occasionally too.

Arcade1Ups have become a bit of an addiction since I started this thread and I'm up to 9 now

TMNT
NBA Jam
Outrun
Star Wars Pinball
Buck Hunter
Marvel vs Capcom (Original)
Golden Tee
The Simpsons
Street Fighter II Yoga Flame

I've been able to get them all on sale, or with heavy discounts second hand, and it's honestly become a bit of an addiction to try to find them for cheap or a discount.

I'm pretty much out of space now though (which is a good thing), with just one last spot reserved for NFL Blitz once it goes on sale at a discount or second hand ($800 is way too much).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-25-2022 at 10:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #58
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
I think this set up might be pefect for my needs as I neither have the time nor the skill to build my own cabinet. I just watched the video you posted, thanks for that, a couple quick questions I hoped you might be able to help with.

1.How difficult is it to get the CoinopsX set up on this? Ive built some basic retropie machines and played around with Attract Mode a bit but I like the idea of having some actual arcade sticks and buttons.

2. Any thoughts on the Legends Mini Pro version? I see it's about 250$, worth the upgrade in your opinion?

Anything else that might be good to know? Thank you, much appreciated.
FlameOn showed me it was on sale at The Brick for $100 CAD at the moment so you might want to check that out. Strangely The Brick seems to be the most reliable place to get arcades machines on sale.

https://www.thebrick.com/products/at...built-in-games

Not quite as good as the $50 USD that it was on clearance for at US Gamestops awhile back but decent enough for a quality wireless stick as well as basically a mini computer that runs everything.

1. CoinOpsX is one of the simplest setups I've done. I'm coming off the pains of trying to build my library in retroarch with emulation station on a hacked Playstation classic and every step is manual. CoinOps and CoinOpsX is a curated library that already has all the games and art and front ends set up for you. Out of the box, an older version of Coinops X was even included and works, but after firmware update, the process changed.

This guide is easy to follow https://wagnerstechtalk.com/al-coinopsx/

Simple summary:

- Download the arcade archive called "Coinops X Arcade Version 5 Is Alive saUCEy Edition" which is on Archive.org, torrents, etc.

- Get an at least 128GB usb drive and set up 2 partitions. One to host the CoinOps X app, and the other data partition to hold all the games

- You get an app from AtGames called AddOnX tool for your computer which you use to build the library onto the USB data partition

- Use the AtGames Core Flash Drive X to format the smaller app partition so it's tied to the device and install the Coinops X application from the internet through the AtGames menu. Then restart

2. After playing with it for 1 day, I do kind of wish I got the Legends Mini Pro because CoinOps X has dedicated categories for spinner games and trackball games and I feel like I'm missing out. It wasn't on sale or in stock at the Brick so I didn't get it. You can also use the two joysticks to play twinstick games. You can also drop the whole thing into into a future arcade cab build. Of course, you'll need this one if you want to play 2 player with a friend. It has a trackball but I wish it had the spinners of the Legends Ultimate cab.

It's much larger so better played on a coffee table or counter. I use the Gamer Mini as a lap joystick on the couch right now and the bigger one might be unwieldy.

---

As far as other things to watch out for, I originally used a 256GB NVME external enclosure on the AtGames core puck to host my games and it possibly drew too much power or something because the puck bugged out a few times and broke my wireless connectivity. After leaving it unplugged overnight it was fine again and I ordered a Samsung fit slim USB 3.1 drive to plug in but I think any general thumb drive will work.

There is a new firmware that was supposed to come out yesterday to remove the need to log into your AtGames account to launch CoinOps X but I don't see it available yet. If that comes out, then it would be perfect as you can set up the system to actually boot to many different things of your own choice - even directly into an installed app like CoinOps X so it always just goes straight to your games.

Finally, there's no way to turn off the puck aside from unplugging it so some people connect a power switch to it, use a powerbar, or use a smart plug so they can voice control or power it on/off with their phone.

The puck itself isn't the most powerful system. It will work with the majority of the CoinOps X library but there are a few games that experience slow down or glitches - I suspect this is because its a work in progress and not every game is optimized. AtGames actually provides tools to build the UCE files for roms and I think I just need to rebuild one or two roms with a different libretro core. That's not a big deal because 99% of the work has already been done by the r/FansOfSauce group and I appreciate having all the games and front end set up nicely which would otherwise take me months of effort.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-25-2022 at 01:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 01:02 PM   #59
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thank you so much for the detailed response and answering all my questions and more. I did order the mini on sale from the brick but I will keep an eye open to see if maybe the pro goes on sale sometime. I like the 2 player option, trackpad for games like centipede, etc. as well as the side pinball buttons. Can't wait to get it and install CoinOpsX and play
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #60
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Thank you so much for the detailed response and answering all my questions and more. I did order the mini on sale from the brick but I will keep an eye open to see if maybe the pro goes on sale sometime. I like the 2 player option, trackpad for games like centipede, etc. as well as the side pinball buttons. Can't wait to get it and install CoinOpsX and play
Side pinball buttons can be added to the Gamer Mini as well, they are $70 at the Brick which seems like a ripoff when the whole unit is only $100.

You can pair other bluetooth controllers to the Gamer Mini for 2 player.

Tags
arcade; retro gaming;