Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2022, 11:45 AM   #1361
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

In Okotoks, Windy City Pizza is combined with White Elephant Thai. The restaurant is split down the middle between Chicago and Thai decor.

They make thin crust and Chicago Deep Dish in the authentic way, if you like it that way. It takes 50 minutes (like in Chicago).

http://www.windycitypizzaco.ca/?fbcl...5etQa9J041fV8Q

Quote:
What makes Windy City pizza such a unique experience is the combination of a made fresh – flakey thin crust, mounds of mozzarella, fresh meats and a hand crushed and seasoned tomato sauce. Assembled in this order and baked for 45 minutes creates a pizza that tastes like nothing you have ever tasted… unless you’ve taken a trip down the Magnificent Mile.

Last edited by troutman; 05-13-2022 at 11:47 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:51 AM   #1362
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This is the fallout that a lot of these anti vax places will be suffering. They feasted on the media attention and subsequent support of hundreds of anti vaxers online and dozens packing their restaurants in defiance.

I could see owners being in the middle of that hoopla and thinking they had it made with their new found supporters. Many of us warned that those people won't be there once the social media firestorm dies down and you'll have lost a good percentage of your non anti vax customer base as well.

No sympathy, this is the end result of smiling through your defiance with a bunch of dumbasses mucking it up in your restaurant shouting empty promises about supporting you.
POW was the same owner as WIthout Papers so pretty happy to see it go down
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #1363
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post

The guy was also a psycho, sending creepy and threatening messages to Julie Van Rosendaal at CBC.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #1364
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

After months of hands on market testing I have determined that Noble Pie is my favorite pizza place and would like to replicate their recipe at home if possible. Does anyone have a good dough recipe that will be most like Noble Pie? Thinking airy/bubbly, crispy outer edge that's still chewy. Looking closely at pictures it's like the dough creates many small bubbles of crispy goodness.

Thanks in advance
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:22 PM   #1365
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
After months of hands on market testing I have determined that Noble Pie is my favorite pizza place and would like to replicate their recipe at home if possible. Does anyone have a good dough recipe that will be most like Noble Pie? Thinking airy/bubbly, crispy outer edge that's still chewy. Looking closely at pictures it's like the dough creates many small bubbles of crispy goodness.

Thanks in advance

hey kcin

being that i live in kelowna i can tell you i've never had noble pie pizza. however, i've been making my own pizza forever. this is recipe i use and it's awesome - crispy on the outside, but still chewy on the inside....

Spoiler!

another great pizza must is home made pizza sauce - suuuuper easy and so good....
Spoiler!
Old 07-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #1366
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't believe that it took me this long to try Noble Pie. It has taken the mantel of best pizza in the city for me. You need to plan ahead if you're wanting to do take out, as they do pre-orders for the day, but so worth it.

I'd say closest to NY style. Big 18" pizza with great dough. I think they ferment the dough for 3 days(?). I will most certainly be going back!
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #1367
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
might be getting a rebranding?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com..._as_pow_pizza/

if true, same rule applies, get Detroit style from Connie & John instead
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 06:30 PM   #1368
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insufficient Funds View Post
I can't believe that it took me this long to try Noble Pie. It has taken the mantel of best pizza in the city for me. You need to plan ahead if you're wanting to do take out, as they do pre-orders for the day, but so worth it.

I'd say closest to NY style. Big 18" pizza with great dough. I think they ferment the dough for 3 days(?). I will most certainly be going back!
Only downside I have found with Noble Pie is the requirement to plan your pizza night in advance. Definitely my favorite spot and want to try dine in one day.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #1369
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to the Blackbird Pub in Auburn Bay last night and had the Meat Sweats pizza. Lived up to its name - would order again - very good.

As an aside, the day Meat Loaf died, knowing I was a huge fan a few friends took it upon themselves to send a couple orders of Blackbird's Kobe Beef Meatloaf to the house - also very good.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #1370
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have always wondered why a good beef like kobe or wagyu would ever be ground and used for meatloaf. I mean, the sentiment is nice and it sounds good on a menu, but… does it make much difference? I’d rather save a prime piece of beef for something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 10:04 AM   #1371
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Went to the Blackbird Pub in Auburn Bay last night and had the Meat Sweats pizza. Lived up to its name - would order again - very good.

As an aside, the day Meat Loaf died, knowing I was a huge fan a few friends took it upon themselves to send a couple orders of Blackbird's Kobe Beef Meatloaf to the house - also very good.
Hey my local!

There is some good food spread out over their menu.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:11 PM   #1372
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Had noble last week and it was awful. Burnt to a crisp on take out.

I had it at 88 3 years ago and it was fantastic, then take out and was good, this time we threw a bunch out it was burnt.

For 2 pizzas at $100 bill it really made me PO

Second, for dough look up Robertas pizza dough recipie on google. I use that and My pizzas are way better than Noble.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 12:30 AM   #1373
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
might be getting a rebranding?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com..._as_pow_pizza/

if true, same rule applies, get Detroit style from Connie & John instead

Further in the reddit thread there are some posts regarding the new owners saying there is no association between themselves and the POW / WOP.

Should be worth a try then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #1374
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd highly recommend the Portland Street Pizza out of 88 Brewing.

Also, page 69 in the pizza thread? Nice...
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #1375
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks in advance
IMO, the best home-made pizza doughs that I've made/had are made using long, slow proofing times - such as the Serious Eats recipe or the NYT recipe (Roberta's pizza dough)

I like proofing the dough for 2-3 days in the fridge, which gives it lots of time to build flavour and generate lots of those little air bubbles without overfermenting the dough (which will cause it to deflate and get too sticky). Also because I've baked a lot of sourdough over the pandemic, I've done the same using sourdough starter instead of commercial yeast and a long cold proof with good results (here's a sourdough pizza recipe that's pretty good).

The other key for home pizzas is to be able to get heat up your pizza as quickly as possible to try to match what happens in restaurant ovens - I've found having a pizza steel to be a gamechanger. I just got a $50 one from Canadian Tire, but they have much thicker ones that you can get online that are a bit pricier. When I am making pizza at home, I crank up the oven as hot as it will go (550degF for me, though many ovens top out at 500) and preheat the baking steel on the top rack (or maybe second to top depending on your oven) for 30 mins, then switch it to broil and toss in the pizza. Then the pizza gets cooked quickly both from the bottom (with the pizza steel very quickly dumping heat into the crust) and the top (from the broiler), and it only takes 6-8 mins depending on the size of the pizza. You can get an amazing tasting crust with a crispy bottom and a soft interior with a bit of practice.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to delayedreflex For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2022, 03:28 PM   #1376
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not the best pizza but Papa John's is 50% off until Sunday with the coupon code "CA50".
Old 08-28-2022, 12:21 AM   #1377
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I like Papa John’s. I know pretentious disclaimers are always needed when talking about big chain shops, but I’ve always found them to be a decent option for late night eats and whatnot.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #1378
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One of the strengths of pizza is it has a higher floor than any other takeout food. Chain fried chicken or burgers can get really grim, but chain pizza is still satisfying unless they really screwed up.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 06:08 PM   #1379
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I like Papa John’s. I know pretentious disclaimers are always needed when talking about big chain shops, but I’ve always found them to be a decent option for late night eats and whatnot.
For chain stuff I do as well. Problem is they've gotten more out of hand than most chains for pricing. They rarely have single pizza deals and a medium pepperoni is like $22 now. It's ridiculous.

At least Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Pizza 73 all typically have some kind of $8-$12 deal going on for a single pizza. If I'm spending $22 I'll just spend a couple buck more and get a good neighbourhood or local pizza.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2022, 06:09 PM   #1380
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Hell Crispy Crust in Woodbine is one of the better pizzas in Calgary and costs $20 for a medium pepperoni.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: