Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default GAME 18: Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs STAMPEDERS

Winnipeg Blue Bombers at Calgary Stampeders
McMahon Stadium
Friday, Nov. 3
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. MDT
TV: TSN

Stampeders already booked the Western Final home game while Winnipeg is still trying to book a home game of their own for the Western Semi-Final. A win against the Stamps or a lost by the Eskimos gives the Bombers the 2nd place finish in the West.

Stamps are looking at resting some of their key players whether not being in a lineup and just play a few quarters.

OFFENSE:

Canadian QB Andrew Buckley will be making his first career start in the CFL. Bo Levi Mitchell last week did not start well in the first half but played a lot better in the second half. I would have thought they would have start Buckley last week and start Mitchell this game but I guess DD have other ideas.
Look like Buckley will be throwing the balls to Jorden, Daniels, Parker, Begelton, Brescacin and others but to Marken Michel who will sit out to rest his hamstring injury and also Marquay McDaniel(game-time decision). He will also be handing to ball to Jerome Messam, the league leading rusher will try to win the rushing title vs Bombers. Roy Finch who'll be back in the lineup after missing a few games due to injury will probably give Messam a rest once in a while.

DEFENSE:

Sackmaster Charleston Hughes will be trying to win the CFL quarterback sack competition and also record his 100th and an all-time team record breaking sacks. This time he will be chasing QB Dan LeFevour instead of the Matt Nichols who got injured last week.
MLB Alex Singleton, Stampeders triple nominees (MOP, MOC and Defensive Player) will try to add more tackles to his record. I am pretty sure he won't be playing the whole game as DD will rest him early.
Secondary was full of holes last week against the Eskimos and I am sure they are looking for a rebound on their performance tomorrow night.

SPECIAL TEAM:

Stamps really missed returner Roy Finch. Their return game was pretty much non-existence with his absence. Finch is always a threat every time he returns a punt.

ROSTER MOVES:

IN:
RB/RET Roy Finch, DB Tay Glover=Wright, DT Michael Kashak, DB Patrick Levels, LB Dwayne Norman, DL Mike Rose and OL Quinn Smith,

OUT:
DB Ciante Evans, LB Riley Jones, WR Julan Lynch, DL Danny Mason, OL Justin Renfrow, DB Brandon Smith and RB Dominique Williams.

GO STAMPS GO!!!
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Randy Ambrose really needs to bump the season up by a month. This game's attendance will be dismal tonight.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #3
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Randy Ambrose really needs to bump the season up by a month. This game's attendance will be dismal tonight.
Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure why this hasn't been done already. Going h2h with the SCF be damned. Grey Cup could be as early as the 2nd to last weekend in October. That way it never falls on Halloween and is always after thanksgiving. It would also mean that thanksgiving playoff games would be a thing. And I think that's a great idea.

Yes, it would mean smaller crowds in hockey markets for their first few games but would mean way bigger crowds everywhere in Oct/Nov.

I think it is totally possible we see a sub 10k crowd tonight.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure why this hasn't been done already. Going h2h with the SCF be damned. Grey Cup could be as early as the 2nd to last weekend in October. That way it never falls on Halloween and is always after thanksgiving. It would also mean that thanksgiving playoff games would be a thing. And I think that's a great idea.

Yes, it would mean smaller crowds in hockey markets for their first few games but would mean way bigger crowds everywhere in Oct/Nov.

I think it is totally possible we see a sub 10k crowd tonight.
Its a pretty even trade off for the CFL. Small crowds for the end of the season/playoffs or small crowds for meaningless games at the start. Pick your poison CFL.

As I get older the desirability to go to the colder games are less and less. Its a pretty easy decision for me to pick my couch and a warm environment.

Also I hate seeing games dictated by cold weather.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I suspect low attendance more because the game has no implications for the Stamps, the Bombers have their backup QB, and thus it has all the makings of a lot of 2 and outs - than because of the weather.

Cold weather CFL games are a true Canadian experience. I'm still thinking of going just for that reason. Who doesn't like slushy Molson Canadian?
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go stamps go ))))

go buckley go )))
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #7
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Its a pretty even trade off for the CFL. Small crowds for the end of the season/playoffs or small crowds for meaningless games at the start. Pick your poison CFL.

As I get older the desirability to go to the colder games are less and less. Its a pretty easy decision for me to pick my couch and a warm environment.

Also I hate seeing games dictated by cold weather.
I don't even buy that argument that CFL attendance numbers would be down during the Stanley Cup playoffs. Most of the matchups are American teams, not drawing in big Canadian viewership. And even if there's a Canadian team (or two), outside of the city where the teams are based out of, that doesn't mean fans won't still attend a game.

CFL needs to desperately draw people into watching the game live. They need to take advantage of patio season, and have games during warm weather season as much as they can. Then for playoff games, the games will be during weather that's still relatively comfortable, possibly drawing in big crowds for the most important games.

Beside, if the CFL should be afraid of conflict with a league, it should be with the NFL since that's it's direct competition. Once NFL season comes around, casual attention on CFL is moved away to that. They should reduce the amount of weeks the season competes with that.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Ya, I’m in full agreement that the season should be moved up.... that being said, I’ll be at the game tonight and am looking forward to it. Cold weather games are a fun experience. And it will be good practice for myself for the West Final.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

And a reminder that tonight is the Salvation Army Coat Drive, bring new or gently used coats for donation!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so choked I can't go to the game. Love the cold weather Stamps experience once or twice a year. Go Stamps.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Couldn't pay me to be out there tonight. Just finished shoveling the walks and that was enough.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to move the season up. It looks like a University game up there attendance wise
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks great on tv! Wouldn't want to be there though. There might be 2500 people there right now?
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #14
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup. My seats are empty. We'll be there snow or shine in two weeks though.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #15
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buckley isn’t good.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #16
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No CIS QB should ever get a sniff at the CFL. I’m not saying Canadians shouldn’t if they have Division 1 experience, but the CIS isn’t at a high enough level. A good US high school program would absolutely pound a regular CIS team. I really hope they give Stanzi some reps today just in case Mitchell got hurt. We cannot win with Buckley at this level.

That said, no one wound look good in this type of weather. This is one of the biggest problems with the CFL. A lot of time weather takes the skill right out of the game ah the end of the Season. In weather like this, no one can perform. We need to start the season earlier.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #17
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can’t give my seats away in the summer when I can’t make it, I didn’t even bother trying today.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #18
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
And a reminder that tonight is the Salvation Army Coat Drive, bring new or gently used coats for donation!
Wow. Such an unfortunate night to have such a good drive.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #19
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wtf is the Calgary PAs problem? Calling the yardage as Harris breaks free
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #20
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weather is obviously not helping Buckley but he has no arm and stares at his receiver for several seconds before passing. That is a recipe for disaster.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bombers , finch , last game , stamps