Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2024, 06:51 PM   #341
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
You're talking about the Ivor Strong bridge. Calf Robe bridge is further north, by Bonnybrook / Peigan Trail.
Good catch, that is correct.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 09:58 PM   #342
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Really weird how much emphasis they're placing on the temporary Strathcona access road here. It's always been labeled as temporary, and I don't think the city will want to give anyone the indication they might keep it if an interchange is built. Hopefully the Rocky Ridge access to Crowchild saga is still top of mind with city staff right now.
I think part of it is the little strip mall right there...it would be pretty hard on those businesses if that closed. I can't think of many strip malls that are tucked so deeply into a community (Discovery comes to mind, but I don't even know what's there - just a restaurant and physio I think?)

I've never fully understood the logic of single entrance/exit communities, beyond avoiding non-residents cutting through as a shortcut. The south end of Strathcona has a bus-trap road that I don't think ever even saw a bus. In that case there are about a dozen townhouses that would be affected if it became a busier route. Now with the LRT you wouldn't want to add a left turn mess to get on to 17th EB, but it wouldn't have been crazy to make it a NB one way or something. It's kinda crazy to think ab out the amount of gas that has been used over the years by the ~hundred houses at the bottom of Strathcona over the last 40 years to climb up to 69 St every time they come or go.

As for Sarcee/Bow, IMO an interchange is completely unnecessary at this point, and probably never needed. If it occasionally takes two light cycles to get through at the very peak of rush hour as might be the case now, I'd say that is right-sized.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:32 AM   #343
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
As for Sarcee/Bow, IMO an interchange is completely unnecessary at this point, and probably never needed. If it occasionally takes two light cycles to get through at the very peak of rush hour as might be the case now, I'd say that is right-sized.
A year ago, even knowing the RR was opening, I'd say you're mad. But the ring road has changed things so much that I agree the intersection is right-sized currently. Honestly it just needs some timing tweaks as the NB/SB Sarcee green time is way too long now given the reduced volume at peak times there.

My only thought is that I'd still prefer they build an interchange and future-proof it - instead of waiting until we're back in the situation we were in a year ago.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 08:36 AM   #344
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What are they doing on the Deerfoot between McKnight and around beddington? They have been working there for a while and have no idea what they are planning.

Lane expansion?
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:55 AM   #345
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm on my way to work this morning aaand...is there really much of a point to washing Ogden Road at this juncture?

Ogden Road is like post-war downtown Kosovo at this point.

Half of it is blocked off and the other half is literally sinking into Hell.

Ogden Road was never designed to accommodate this much traffic sneaking into the downtown core and certainly not to accommodate this much heavy industrial and construction traffic and she's coming apart at the seams!

But seriously, you're going to send a few trucks to wash Ogden Road and then construction trucks are going to spend the rest of the day undoing all of that work hauling dirt and construction debris.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:59 AM   #346
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never fully understood the logic of single entrance/exit communities
The CoC would really like you to stop driving in cars by yourself.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:42 AM   #347
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So I'm on my way to work this morning aaand...is there really much of a point to washing Ogden Road at this juncture?

Ogden Road is like post-war downtown Kosovo at this point.

Half of it is blocked off and the other half is literally sinking into Hell.

Ogden Road was never designed to accommodate this much traffic sneaking into the downtown core and certainly not to accommodate this much heavy industrial and construction traffic and she's coming apart at the seams!

But seriously, you're going to send a few trucks to wash Ogden Road and then construction trucks are going to spend the rest of the day undoing all of that work hauling dirt and construction debris.
Sounds like you're saying Ogden Road washing is on its last legs.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:46 AM   #348
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
The city LOVES to build communities with only 1 access road for whatever reason, especially on the west side. See Crestmont, Valley Ridge, Discovery Ridge, and that whatever name it is called at the end of Nose Hill Dr past Home Depot...
It's not just communities but malls as well. Beacon Hill Center is a disaster although I'm not clear where the fault lies for that one.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 11:22 AM   #349
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
What are they doing on the Deerfoot between McKnight and around beddington? They have been working there for a while and have no idea what they are planning.

Lane expansion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCarpenter View Post
So they started work on the Calf Robe bridge by Bow Bottom. Does anyone know where I can see the plans for the change? Curious what the final alignment is going to look like.

They have shifted traffic to the north side of the bridge and have demoed a lane off the bridge already.
Some information here.

https://www.deerfootimprovements.ca/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 11:28 AM   #350
lambeburger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The city has opened public engagement on the Saree/Bow Trail interchange. Taking in feedback until April 29th.

https://engage.calgary.ca/SarceeBowStudy
Who here put pins at every major road entering town suggesting that the city put in a toll for the parasite communities?
lambeburger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lambeburger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 12:05 PM   #351
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Too bad there's zero info on what they're going to build at the Ivor Strong bridge construction. Both the Alberta government and the City have been very cagey handing out more detailed info for some reason, and the website in general isn't up to date at all.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 12:14 PM   #352
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I think part of it is the little strip mall right there...it would be pretty hard on those businesses if that closed. I can't think of many strip malls that are tucked so deeply into a community (Discovery comes to mind, but I don't even know what's there - just a restaurant and physio I think?)
I would love to know what the developer of Strathcona put in the title caveats about that strip mall...if anything. Surely there was some strongly worded language about the temporary road in the approval for that strip mall.

Quote:
It's far too early to say that a Sarcee/Bow interchange is unneccessary. It's more likely that induced demand will take that intersection well over failure soon enough, so making sure they have a plan in place for when it's needed is a good idea.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:18 PM   #353
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Too bad there's zero info on what they're going to build at the Ivor Strong bridge construction. Both the Alberta government and the City have been very cagey handing out more detailed info for some reason, and the website in general isn't up to date at all.
Ya, really weird how things were about to start during covid (would have been perfect timing) and then UCP put a hold on it for 2 years to restudy it, now we have no clue what's going on.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:18 PM   #354
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.deerfootimprovements.ca/...ottom-trail-2/

Looks like they're just eliminating weaves. I wish you could see Southland better in that plan though, I'm curious where exactly you exit SB deerfoot to get to Anderson or bow bottom, and if Southland traffic can still get to SB deerfoot. Is that weave gonna still exist, but just not on deerfoot itself?

Edit: oh did you mean just the ivor strong bridge itself? You can kinda see it there, which is odd because it's more than the page for the bridge itself shows. I think that's just twinning the bridge and adding more lanes, nothing else

Last edited by btimbit; 04-25-2024 at 12:24 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:08 PM   #355
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
https://www.deerfootimprovements.ca/...ottom-trail-2/

Looks like they're just eliminating weaves. I wish you could see Southland better in that plan though, I'm curious where exactly you exit SB deerfoot to get to Anderson or bow bottom, and if Southland traffic can still get to SB deerfoot. Is that weave gonna still exist, but just not on deerfoot itself?

Edit: oh did you mean just the ivor strong bridge itself? You can kinda see it there, which is odd because it's more than the page for the bridge itself shows. I think that's just twinning the bridge and adding more lanes, nothing else
I feel that just got updated? Because I could've sworn yesterday that the page should only construction notice for the Anderson/Bow Bottom segment. Unless I'm going crazy.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 01:27 PM   #356
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I feel that just got updated? Because I could've sworn yesterday that the page should only construction notice for the Anderson/Bow Bottom segment. Unless I'm going crazy.
I went through the whole website yesterday and didn't see that plan. I'm glad it's finally available!
Old 04-25-2024, 01:31 PM   #357
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Ya lots of new stuff finally.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:37 PM   #358
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I've never fully understood the logic of single entrance/exit communities, beyond avoiding non-residents cutting through as a shortcut.
That is the one and only reason why it's a 'thing': keeping non-residents out. "Traffic calming" by eliminating the possibility of "cut-through traffic" in the first place. You can't cut through a neighbourhood if all roads circle back to the one entrance.

It's part of why urban planners moved away from street grids to "curvilinear" street patterns with crescents and culs-de-sac: if you live on a crescent or cul-de-sac there shouldn't be anybody driving on it other than your immediate neighbours living on the same street.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:58 PM   #359
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I think you're completely right. I found that link through the city site and had a big rant typed out here that I had to find it through a backdoor like that, because it definitely wasn't on that deerfootimprovments site when I checked a few days ago.

Then I checked it too and sure enough there it is now,haha
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:05 PM   #360
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it was just updated this morning:
Quote:
<meta property="articleublished_time" content="2024-04-25T15:05:54+00:00" />
<meta property="article:modified_time" content="2024-04-25T17:07:43+00:00" />
K, leaving the smiley as is.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote