Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #1
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:
Default Places to get help for mental health

I'll take whatever help I can get. I need these episodes of depressionto stop. Free suggestions would be great.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

And DO NOT say the Army
Old 08-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Igniter
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

http://cmha.calgary.ab.ca/find-help/

I haven't used them, but I understand what you are going through.

If your are in immediate need:
http://www.distresscentre.com/get-help/counselling/

They have a 24/7 distress line. Free too.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #4
Igniter
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://psychologytools.com//

Also, free CBT worksheets and exercises.

These take a lot of commitment though to work through.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I know you take a lot of crap on here and Join the Army has become a bit of a gag (humor through repetition) but sincerely good on you for reaching out. I don't really have much to offer as I haven't been down this path. It's not easy to do this and genuinely hope you find some answers.

All the best.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I hope that you get the help that you need.

Igniter's links are good. If you are currently attending post secondary they probably have some sort of cheap or free counselling programs. Or if you are employed your benefits package may include a similar type thing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call 211. That's what they do.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #8
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Calgary Counselling Centre is a great place to go. Plenty of good resources and counselling is priced on a sliding scale based on your income. I found it super helpful there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stazzy33; 08-13-2017 at 11:44 PM. Reason: forgot a word
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you in Calgary?

I thought you are overseas.

If you are a post secondary student, there are likely resources and counselling services offered through your student's union.

Is there an addiction issue? Would something like AA help?

If you are a professional, there are often resources and counselling services offered through your professional organisation or regulator.

Perhaps your employer benefits package has counselling or mental health support offered under your benefits package.

If you are a religious person, your religious leaders can be a good resource to help through the tough times. And they can also be an essential piece to solve the larger long term puzzle, along with your health providers, to provide stable long term support.

If not, consider going to your doctor and asking for a referral, explaining that you do not have benefits or other financial support available to you. There may be Alberta Health Service options.

Kudos for you for starting to reach out. Depression has treatment options available and deciding to get help is an important step.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most medical centres will be able to refer you to a counsellor or psychologist of some sort, and mine provides 4-6 sessions at no cost. They'll give you meds if you need them, but they are also there to talk things out with you if that's what you need.

Also, high-cannabidiol marijuana will do you good. You can get a prescription from a place like Natural Health Services and get set up with oils that you don't need to smoke and don't get you high, but do make you feel less awful. And if it's something you're into, never sell short the ability of THC to reduce the bad thoughts.

I've gone through some dark moments the last twelve months, sometimes it just helps to talk to someone. If you need an ear to bend, PM me. All the best, sir.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #11
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, if you are in IMMEDIATE need, due to thoughts of self-harm...call 911.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #12
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Talk to your family doctor is an option as well, they'll guide you through things, refer you where you need to go, prescribe anything if needed. They'll know you and your history.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Access mental health 403-943-1500
Like WhiteTiger said though, if it's an emergency call 911
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #14
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

First, good for you for recognizing you are not doing well and may need guidance/immediate help/long term coping mechanisms. Myself, I was able to isolate from friends and alienate my wife so well that I'm now single, and haven't had a friend even come to my new residence. I knew I was feeling messed up, and after our sons stillbirth I was able to use that situation and my wife's (rightfully so) devastation to continue to avoid an honest self assessment.
Feelings and emotions can manifest in strange ways, so it is important to be able to discuss all matters freely and honestly with anyone. If you're the enlightened type, that could be done solo through meditation type activities (which is a dedicated practise in itself), pen-to-paper reflection, or deep thought. But its very easy to get into your own head, but I find it damn near impossibly hard to get out. This is where professional guidance can really be helpful.
As I understand, 'depression' can be physiological for many people, in which case medication might actually be needed. I personally think exhausting other solutions before looking in a medicine cabinet is more suitable, particulary if there's some real, tangible loneliness/sadness/stress you can attribute to your feelings. It's not a quick cure, if that's anywhere near an appropriate word, but if nothing else can help you lead a healthier overall life, physically and mentally.
There is apparently good research indicating an increase in activity and social behaviour improves preceived levels of depression. From experience, I have found it to help, truly. Also not being so hard on yourself is important. It's easy to pile on reasons why you shouldn't feel a certain way, but that doesn't mean you don't. And that is okay, being human comes with an array of emotions and we are rarely as in control of them as we'd like to think. I've been actively working on myself for a while now, and I still can't truly say I've found peace of mind. But, every day I can accomplish something, experience some happiness and plan for the future is a hell of a lot better than crying on the floor and cursing everything about where I am, literally. And don't underestimate loneliness. I know from lurking you've expressed that w/ women in the past. I'm honestly probably lonely as ####, but sex and companionship with anyone but my now ex-wife has honest to goodness never actually made that feeling go away. That needs to be internally mended first.

Sorry for the overly personal ####, but I feel it's important for you to be aware everyone has their struggle, but no one has yours. How you handle the task of improving your life reaps its greatest consequence on your life alone. It's work and uncomfortable, to make a phone call, or go to an appointment and have to bare your soul many times and discuss hard things. But you've taken one solid step, so put the other foot in front of the other. After a while, the road doesn't seem so long.
Best wishes.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #15
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Like someone above said, speak to your physician. I think you can also call health link or goto the emergency at any calgary hospital (if you're in calgary) if you feel immediate need for assistance where mental health professionals can come and help assess you and get you the help you need. there are short term and longer term programs in place for this sort of thing.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #16
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/...Page11443.aspx

Take Care of yourself.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot_Smooth View Post
Like someone above said, speak to your physician.
Thirded. Get a referral. Also, I don't know what you do for work, but see if there's anything they have in place as a launching pad for this stuff.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ if you are employed does your employer have an employee assistance program? If so you can access that on a confidential basis, and potentially get some short term help.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #19
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah employee assistance program is good if you have it also my family doctor has a counselor that comes in once or twice a week and most would although the booking is really far in advance. Don't be afraid to speak to your doctor also they have many resources. Depression/Anxiety isn't something you can "man up" and get through and the stigma on it is mostly gone. Get the help it's a life changer.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #20
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Dr. Ernest McCrank helped me a lot in 2005. I'm not sure if he's retired.

If you want a great audiobook: The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama puts a lot in perspective.

Good luck, and accept that it will not be something overnight. Have patience with yourself.

Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote