Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default NYC Hotels / Recommendations

Hello CP brain trust.
Recommendations for a hotel in NYC, preferably Manhattan (my guests request)?
Preferably close to transit and in a great spot to walk, so far thinking in and around Empire State (of course).
Would really like to keep it around the $200ish mark, I'll be travelling in April and that seems like it might be tight.

Further to that, any budget tips? I'll be getting a metro pass and likely eating pizza or air, I'd rather use my $ on shows and events (catching a Yankees game for sure).

Any and all advice very welcome.

Ps. Yes, the clubhouse is full,
Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just saw this posted today. If you didn't buy a ticket yet:
https://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-...tGnN90tQYKEhRs

Can't help otherwise. Good luck
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Years ago my wife and I stayed the The Jewel facing Rockefeller. Nice and close to some of the tourist spots, we upgraded to a room with a balcony. Pretty neat to have that. I don’t remember the price though.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
JBR
Old 12-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Years ago my wife and I stayed the The Jewel facing Rockefeller. Nice and close to some of the tourist spots, we upgraded to a room with a balcony. Pretty neat to have that. I don’t remember the price though.
Agreed. Been to New York a dozen times and the Jewel was always the best... value, location, clean etc.
JBR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

My New York where to stay qualifications list:
1. Do not, I read do not stay in Times Square. You’ll regret it. Those hotel rooms have had more turns than Fotze’s mom. Just cause you’re a tourist doesn’t me you have to do as the rest of the tourists do.
2. Subways are everywhere and it’s difficult to be anywhere far from one, but that doesn’t mean the one by your hotel gets you where you want to go easily without going a distance and switching lines.
3. Murray Hill/Kips Bay is a sweet spot. South of Grand Central, east of Bryant Park, north of Union Square. Great for being central to walk lots of places. The further east you go the more it becomes local neighborhood. Head west and you’re at 5th Ave, Macy’s area with everything you could ever need.
4. We’ve stayed in a different hotel every time we go because prices are always all over the place and all have been good
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #6
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

When I went to NYC in may, we used Hotwire to book! It was great 4 1/2 star for $200 CAD/night... you can pick your area too. You just don’t get to pick the exact hotel.

We ended up I the Financial district, a block from Fulton Station, 3 blocks from WTC. MetroCard and your golden!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:28 PM   #7
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stayed here last time we went and were quite happy with it: www.roxyhotelnyc.com

Reasonable price and easy train access to wherever you are going. It's not in as much of a touristy location, but we personally liked that as it was nice to get out of the chaos when back to the hotel.

Good live music in the hotel and lots of good restaurants/coffee shops in walking distance.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last time I was there, I stayed at the New Yorker. It's a block away from MSG and Penn Station, a short walk from the Empire State Building. It's an old art deco hotel that was built in the 20s. It also turns out that Tesla lived the last few years of his life in the hotel and actually died there (there's a plaque outside commemorating him).

The price was decent for Manhattan, but the room was barely big enough for to walk around the bed. The room was nice for what it was and the bed was comfortable.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last time I was there we stayed at Hotel Edison

https://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

it is half a block from TS. I really liked the hotel, and is has a Rum bar right beside it.

I've stayed at the New Yorker and those rooms are very small, they're all small in Manhattan, but these were the smallest. Also, fun fact, we had to buy some air freshener since the bathroom has no fan or window that opens.

Also stayed in Korea town, which wasn't bad, forget the hotel there but it was decent and a decent price and had a roof top bar.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I stayed at Yotel in Hell's Kitchen. Good price, good location and great views from the drink patio outside.
Johnny199r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fairfield Inn by World Trade Center is pretty great. It runs around $200 a lot of the time and is a brand new hotel.

Lots of Subway lines run through WTC and there's a lot to see in the general area around there, including the Occulus.

In general in New York, if you don't mind staying on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights you can find a room for around $200 almost anywhere in the city. It usually gets way jacked up on the weekends, though.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is not your first time in NYC and you don't need to be right in the middle of the tourist spots, I recommend giving the The Pod Hotel in Williamsburg a try. The rooms are small, but modern and clean (which I prioritize, as it minimizes the chances of roaches, bedbugs, etc), you're in the hoppingest part of Brooklyn, and you're close to the L train (which despite it being across the river, gives you quick and easy access to all the train lines in Manhattan).
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #13
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I stayed at Yotel in Hell's Kitchen. Good price, good location and great views from the drink patio outside.
We also stayed here back about 6 years ago and liked it. It is still walking distance to Times Square and Central Park. Plus bonus points for having a baggage robot.

We were in NYC last month and stayed at BW Harolds Square, and at over $400/night Canada, I would compare it to a Motel 6 in some small town, very not worth it.

I would consider staying off the island and commuting into the city next time we go.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I was very impressed with James Hotel in Chicago.

They are also in SoHo.
https://www.jameshotels.com/new-york-soho/rooms-suites/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #15
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Another vote for the pod hotels. If you are in NYC, get a small room and spend your time enjoying the city!
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #16
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I always stay near Herald Square for work (which is near MSG, that big ass Macys and the Empire state bld.) It's relatively affordable, and generally gear to business travelers. I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, The Marriott Springhill Suites and the Marriott Courtyard. I prefer the Springhill Suites, as it has been the quietest. I mean you don't spend a ton of time in the hotel usually, so having a quiet, comfortable place to sleep is huge for me.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #17
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out the Kitano. Possible to find good deals on hotels.com Good location.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #18
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
If this is not your first time in NYC and you don't need to be right in the middle of the tourist spots, I recommend giving the The Pod Hotel in Williamsburg a try. The rooms are small, but modern and clean (which I prioritize, as it minimizes the chances of roaches, bedbugs, etc), you're in the hoppingest part of Brooklyn, and you're close to the L train (which despite it being across the river, gives you quick and easy access to all the train lines in Manhattan).
First time - I'd much rather stay somewhere hip, but the date is a bit of a square in that regard.

Thanks for suggestions everyone, will check them all out.

Side note: I tend to romanticize cities in my kind and be let down in reality. I assume Brooklyn/Harlem/Bronx as the best bet to be able to stroll out and find a rad local show or something unique. How do y'all avoid that whole 'symbolizing gentrification' thing when strolling around, or is that kind of just a given now?
Old 12-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well you're not going to get more hip than Brooklyn! Williamsburg has always been the heart of hipsterdom, but it's gentrified quite a bit over the years as Wall Street types have swarmed in to buy condos. But it's still interested and has lots of cool stuff to see.

Having said that, if it's your first time to NYC, you're probably better off in Manhattan, and just make a trip out to Williamsburg/Greenpoint. If you can, go on a weekend and check out this https://www.smorgasburg.com. Also, I recommend taking a the NYC Ferry at some point to get across the river. It's like a really cheap river cruise...although perhaps not as fun in the winter.

Don't worry about "symbolizing gentrification", NY is home to all kinds of people and its constantly changing. The only thing you should be worried about is not being one of those dweebs who walk backwards while taking a photo.

Last edited by Table 5; 12-03-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #20
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Last time I was there we stayed at Hotel Edison

https://www.edisonhotelnyc.com/

it is half a block from TS. I really liked the hotel, and is has a Rum bar right beside it.
Another vote for Hotel Edison, we stayed there recently as well and liked it. Quick walk over to Hell's Kitchen for food and pretty much everywhere in midtown is walkable from there.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: