Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's talk: Electronic Razors

I've been using the same electronic razor since I was about 16....but after almost 30 years of loyal service, it has finally kicked the bag.
So I'm in the market for a new razor and look to the collective expertise of CP to help guide me.
I will preface this by saying I have no interest in shifting to manual shave. It doesn't work for my skin.

The key elements for me are
- Day to day use. I'm not looking to trim or maintain a stache or beard. I just need to shave.
- I want a close shave
- My skin is sensitive
- I'm open to spending more for something that will meet the above and last a while.

Any recommendations based on what you all use? Where is the best place to buy in Calgary?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Braun. Check out Costco. Make sure you get one that you can rinse with water.

I used to use a Philishave (the ones with three pivoting heads), I found the Braun worked much better at getting at the odd angles on my face.

I switched to a DE safety razor after my Braun's battery finally stopped working properly after 17 years.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Phillips oneblade is the best electric razor I've ever used for a close shave.

EDIT : You can also get the basic one for 40$ if you want to test drive it.

Last edited by indes; 06-23-2019 at 05:14 PM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree and disagree. Yes to the suggestion for one that can be rinsed but my Braun beard trimmer no longer holds a charge. My Phillips shaver is old and works perfectly. Personally, I’d avoid Braun. Maybe I just got a lemon.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #5
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any opinions on rotary v. foil? It seems like most the top reviewed ones are foil. I've always used a rotary but perhaps the foils are truly better
Old 06-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Braun 9293s is pretty good. Check out this Wirecutter article. Note, when this article was written the 9293 was $400+, it now can be had around $200. (Costco is 299 but Amazon is $210)

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-electric-razor/

I should note that I have tried some of the better rotary and foil ones, and I prefer the shave of the foils.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I know you specifically mentioned this, but I switched to a straight blade because my skin is so sensitive. For the first time ever I could shave everyday.

It’s more effort, and you have to keep it sharp, but it is an option for sensitive skin. Just mentioning it as you grouped manual shave in with having sensitive skin.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philips rotary coils do a really nice job. I've used them for years and just got a fancy one for Christmas last year, really really enjoy it. I think it's the 9000
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My electric razor died a couple years ago. So I grew a beard.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ll second the Braun 9 series. Have always hated shaving anything more than a couple day’s growth, but picked one up on a Black Friday deal. It’s easily the best razor I’ve ever owned and does a much better job than my previous middle of the line Braun. It also has a stand for cleaning, and the cartridges last longer than I expected (there are ways to make your own cleaning solution if you wanna save a buck).
Flames0910 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #11
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I highly recommend ditching the electric and going to safety razor. I used an electric for years and found that my neck in particular would get very raw and itchy. When you read up on what an electric does to your skin and hair it’s kind of terrifying.

Safely razors make shaving enjoyable and the blades are so ridiculously cheap. It’s also amazing for sensitive skin, you just need to pay attention to how your beard grows.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:46 PM   #12
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the advice everyone
I went with the Braun series 7 with cleaning dock for just over 2 hundred at Walmart
Costco only had the series 5 with no cleaning dock for 99
Only one shave in but impressed so far
Old 06-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Great choice! I've had my Series 7 for 6 years now and still going strong. Recently replaced the foil head and it's like brand new. Battery life is still great as well, lasts a good 2 weeks when used every morning.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

This got me thinking: what’s the difference between “electric” and “electronic,” as I’d never heard it called an “electronic razor” before (always an “electric razor”).

So I went ahead and learned something interesting that I, at least, didn’t know:
Quote:
Electrical devices take the energy of electric current and transform it in simple ways into some other form of energy — most likely light, heat, or motion. The heating elements in a toaster turn electrical energy into heat so you can burn your toast. And the motor in your vacuum cleaner turns electrical energy into motion that drives a pump that sucks the burnt toast crumbs out of your carpet.

In contrast, electronic devices do much more. Instead of just converting electrical energy into heat, light, or motion, electronic devices are designed to manipulate the electrical current itself to coax it into doing interesting and useful things.
https://www.dummies.com/education/sc...rical-devices/

Maybe this was common knowledge, but I at least found it interesting!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 01:58 AM   #15
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would highly look into using a old fashion safety razor or a straight blade. I got into that trend many many years ago, probably when I was 18/19 (I am 34 now) and before it became the new trend and hipster thing to do.

The shave can't be beat, the level of quality products available is very fascinating and I think it's overall a healthier, better option. It does take more time and you have to think of things like airplane travel if you don't check your bag etc.

The issue with the razors like the Mach 3 or Mach 1000 or whatever the hell they sell now for $50 a blade, is that they claim to protect your skin but in a lot of ways they cause the irritation. You don't need all those blades and high tech to shave some whiskers, it's facial hair, not a forest of thick redwood tree's.

I just restarted my shaving regiment after 5 years of having a Euro style beard, my mother hated it and it was her mothers day gift after hearing her nag for 5 years. I do miss it and I think it's a great shave along with some nice shaving cream and a good brush!
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #16
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
The Phillips oneblade is the best electric razor I've ever used for a close shave.

EDIT : You can also get the basic one for 40$ if you want to test drive it.
I have a OneBlade Pro and I quite like it for trimming or the occasional shave when my growth is minimal but it's nowhere near as close a shave as a quality foil razor as I could spend 5 minutes going over and over on my face and still not get as close as 30 seconds with my Braun 7865. I had a Philips rotary once and ditched it as it just doesn't do as close a shave as a Braun foil. Not even sure why people buy the rotaries.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-24-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #17
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I've been using the same electronic razor since I was about 16....but after almost 30 years of loyal service, it has finally kicked the bag.
So I'm in the market for a new razor and look to the collective expertise of CP to help guide me.
I will preface this by saying I have no interest in shifting to manual shave. It doesn't work for my skin.

The key elements for me are
- Day to day use. I'm not looking to trim or maintain a stache or beard. I just need to shave.
- I want a close shave
- My skin is sensitive
- I'm open to spending more for something that will meet the above and last a while.

Any recommendations based on what you all use? Where is the best place to buy in Calgary?

Kicked the bag? Sounds painful.

And after 30 years of loyalty.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote