Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #21
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just remember: every day is leg day.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #22
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Just remember: every day is leg day.
Funny you say that; I've actually transitioned from focusing on my upper body to focusing on my lower body... the results have been phenomenal. Not only have my legs grown in size, my upper body still gets a good workout from the compound lifts (deadlifts and squats). You wouldn't think it since most people wear pants most of the time, but people actually notice changes in your lower body as much as your upper body.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #23
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Funny you say that; I've actually transitioned from focusing on my upper body to focusing on my lower body... the results have been phenomenal. Not only have my legs grown in size, my upper body still gets a good workout from the compound lifts (deadlifts and squats). You wouldn't think it since most people wear pants most of the time, but people actually notice changes in your lower body as much as your upper body.
I have been back into the DLs and squats for about six months now and I can't fit into slim fit jeans anymore, which is great.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #24
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I train in a gym, focusing on power lifting. I am definitely not a 'hire a trainer' kind of lifter, but I do see the merits for you. Working out with a group of friends is always the best motivator. I listen to music or podcasts and find therapy in that, so can do it alone or with people.

One thing that I tell everyone, in particular when you want to look in the mirror and see gains, is to follow this program (even with a trainer):

Workout for three months, completing the following sessions per week at a minimum:
*Chest and Triceps
* Shoulders and biceps
* Back and legs
* Feel free to add in a light, medium and heavy squat session into all of the above.

Go to any major website and look for their workouts on the above for building size...for the first three months work on technique with sets of ten that you can complete. Maybe four exercises per group to start, with three sets of ten for each.

After three months, do a light warmup set, do two sets of ten where the last rep is hard to finish, then do a set of five, where the fifth is hard to finish, then a set where you need a spotter. You want to train your muscles to lift heavier, which creates growth. Lifting the same amount makes you really good at that, but doesn't really create growth.

After about three months of that, I like to go from the warmup set to sets of five, where I need a spotter for the whole thing. Then I do a single rep with a spotter to increase my strength. If the above is a real challenge, power lifting isn't your thing. Not all people respond in the same way.

Take protein and consider creatine at the six month mark if you are seeing serious gains. I have worked through maybe 40 people over the years, 75% at least have seen all the results they are looking for. Some should focus on Yoga or something much milder.

This workout builds size, and there is a bit of debate on stuff, but the big guys at the gym are doing a mix of the above. You manage your food, and you can look as cut as you want. How big you are currently doesn't matter, the weights you lift are simply based on what you struggle with at about the 8th rep. If the 8th is easy, raise the weight.

After three months, you can tell quickly who is fast tracking their training using shady stuff.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #25
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Personal trainer for at least 3 sessions. Someone who can show you proper form and technique. Only have them with you on days you’re doing big lifts. (Dead’s, squats, bench etc) Don’t need them to show you machines.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #26
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I have been back into the DLs and squats for about six months now and I can't fit into slim fit jeans anymore, which is great.

Realizing your ass has become too mighty for your jeans is one of the most satisfying experiences life can offer.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #27
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been working out regularly (at least 3 times a week) for more than 10 years now and I stick to a routine that works for me that includes a mix of cardio, weight training and stretching. I'm by no means in it for the gainz and simply enjoy staying in shape and trying new routines every few weeks. The biggest thing about the gym and sustainable fitness is finding that zone where you want to go as opposed to feeling obligated to go. It's great that people decide to start working out and want to stay fit, but if you don't find your own routine/motivation that works for you, it simply will never stick.

I personally have a problem with anyone suggesting people who are new to working out should immediately go get a personal trainer. It is intimidating enough to make that step into adding a gym routine to your life let alone signing up for something you know little to nothing about. Most gyms offer no charge orientations with employees who are typically extremely knowledgeable on weight training and fitness. Start there and ask questions so you at least have an idea of how the equipment works and so you don't hurt yourself. Even machines can cause significant injury if you're overloading yourself or not using proper technique or range of motion etc. There's no sense spending a bunch of money or hiring the wrong type of trainer right off the bat. There are a lot of bad trainers out there and even good ones can ruin your experience by pushing you way too hard or if they're not on the same track as you are.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-19-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Hot_Flatus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #28
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I currently have a pretty good routine. 3 days weights, 3 days cardio. It's nice that my work has a gym. Not the best for weights, and hence why I bought myself a squat rack for my house so that i could still do heavy lifts on the weekends. On the weekdays, it's more body weights, cable machines, and jump roping.

If you're looking into cardio, I totally recommend jump roping. For me, I find it better than a treadmill. I picked it up a couple years ago. Admittedly, part of the reason was cuz I wanted to look cool like some of those boxers. But it really is a good workout, plus trying to learn new tricks is fun and keeps it interesting. Just something to consider.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #29
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just as a reminder, the nice thing about gyms is they have staff so don't bother cleaning the equipment after use, the staff will get to it for you. Also you never know when you might change up your routine half way through a workout so take not only the weights you need but any other weights that might be useful even if there's little chance of you using them. And again, there's staff there so don't worry about placing them back on the racks.

Finally, if you aren't making a lot of noise you aren't working out to your full potential. Grunt hard, drop down those weights.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #30
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

You don't necessarily need a personal trainer. But you do need someone knowledgeable to show you the basic routines, exercise forms and correct techniques if you're unfamiliar. Goal #1 is don't get hurt.

Don't be intimidated, people are generally friendly and there for a purpose, and no one is judging. These days I personally don't care much about gaining muscle mass and focus on flexibility and range of motion.

It is better if you have a plan and realistic goals. If going to the gym becomes a chore, you will soon stop going.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #31
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
May work for you but doesn't for a lot of people.
There's a reason all that equipment is on Kijiji, people stop using it.
Home gym's are great...if you commit to using them and have relevant equipment. I have a pretty sweet home gym. Before, I was a member at the JCC and they have a pretty nice gym too. I invested in my home gym when I moved out of that area and the drive became too long. But if I had to pick one, I'd pick the membership every time. Real gyms have full equipment and staff to help out. But what can't be replicated at home is the lighting and atmosphere. When I'm at a gym, I'm focused. I'm around other people doing the same things I am, so it motivates me to work harder. The music is pumping, and there's something satisfying about leaving the building and feeling like I've invested in my health.

At home, I don't have giant mirrors to check out my pump after each set. The lighting in my basement is poor. I can be distracted if someone calls my phone or rings my doorbell.

Truthfully, I actually have to motivate myself to workout at home a whole lot more then if I have a gym membership. With a membership, I'm paying money for it so I better use it. And when I'm at the gym, I've taken the time to drive there so I better be committed. Some days at home...the couch just looks a whole lot comfier then working out.

For a beginner, I would totally recommend getting a membership and physically going to a gym. Save the home gym for when you have a routine down pact and you know what you're doing. In my experience, it's a whole lot easier to be lazy at home then it is at an actual gym.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #32
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
You don't necessarily need a personal trainer. But you do need someone knowledgeable to show you the basic routines, exercise forms and correct techniques if you're unfamiliar. Goal #1 is don't get hurt.

Don't be intimidated, people are generally friendly and there for a purpose, and no one is judging. These days I personally don't care much about gaining muscle mass and focus on flexibility and range of motion.

It is better if you have a plan and realistic goals. If going to the gym becomes a chore, you will soon stop going.
Not getting hurt was the most important thing to me to start. Getting hurt would kill getting into the routine for me.

Also, do what you need to do to achieve your goals. What other people may or may not think of you is irrelevant. What other people may be lifting is also irrelevant. This was the other thing that I realized that ended up keeping me going to the gym.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #33
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with everything Huntingwale pointed out about the gym and motivation. It's really easy to get yourself motivated when you're actually at the gym and in that environment. It's a whole lot harder getting yourself pumped up when you're by yourself at home. If you can afford it and it's convenient to get to, a gym membership trounces home gyms everytime IMO.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:15 PM   #34
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's important to train for your body type too. If you're a long, skinny endurance type you can plow through heavy squats all you want and you'll still have skinny legs but also very likely some injuries too. And you have to change it up often. I find four or five trips through the same work out and I'm done with it. I have to change it up.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #35
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I would definitely get a certified professional. A lot of people love to say they know how to workout and can teach others. However, whenever I look around the gym, I rarely see people doing a proper squat. People probably look at my squat too and see all sorts of deficiencies.

I do agree, that there are a lot of bad trainers out there. I would stay away from generic trainers and look into a beginners power lifting course.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no gymrat but in my experience:

- join a 24 hour gym, or at least one with very generous open hours. Sometimes the best workout is one after a late evening nap, getting there at 11pm when the place is pretty empty and staying until 1am. Easy access to all machines and weights, and if you get anything resembling gym anxiety like I sometimes have at peak hours, it's really calming to know the gym isn't packed. YMMV.

- if there's an exercise you can do with either free weights or cables, you might save yourself a lot of setup time going the cable route. I personally don't enjoy setup time but some people consider it a vital part of the routine, like wiping off a vinyl record.

- join a gym with a basketball court (or other rec activities you enjoy). I used to go to Gold's and loved being able to get a few dozen jumpers up before a workout. Unfortunately I had to change gyms a couple years back and my current gym doesn't have any courts. I'm waiting for my membership to expire so I can re-join Gold's.

- Certainly no harm in a personal trainer, but if there's an exercise you're unsure about, youtube a reputable channel with "________ proper form". Good form is the most important thing when lifting weights because otherwise you will be overcompensating with the wrong muscles or joints and thus risking injury. Even if it means starting with a weight that's well below something that would intensely push you, it's better to do your reps as properly as possible. A gym buddy is always nice too, someone who you're comfortable with criticising your form rather than a total stranger.

- on that note, a gym buddy is a great way to stay motivated. There are days when you're just not in the mood (me: 99% of days) but just getting a text to go hit up the gym can make you change your mind

- try to be balanced in your goals. I have been guilty of being too fixated on cardio before and neglecting weights, or vice versa. Lately I've really neglected core and need to fix that. The problem for me is that when I neglect one area it becomes really hard to get back at it. Just make a schedule with balance and follow it as well as you can.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #37
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I've been working out regularly (at least 3 times a week) for more than 10 years now and I stick to a routine that works for me that includes a mix of cardio, weight training and stretching. I'm by no means in it for the gainz and simply enjoy staying in shape and trying new routines every few weeks. The biggest thing about the gym and sustainable fitness is finding that zone where you want to go as opposed to feeling obligated to go. It's great that people decide to start working out and want to stay fit, but if you don't find your own routine/motivation that works for you, it simply will never stick.

I personally have a problem with anyone suggesting people who are new to working out should immediately go get a personal trainer. It is intimidating enough to make that step into adding a gym routine to your life let alone signing up for something you know little to nothing about. Most gyms offer no charge orientations with employees who are typically extremely knowledgeable on weight training and fitness. Start there and ask questions so you at least have an idea of how the equipment works and so you don't hurt yourself. Even machines can cause significant injury if you're overloading yourself or not using proper technique or range of motion etc. There's no sense spending a bunch of money or hiring the wrong type of trainer right off the bat. There are a lot of bad trainers out there and even good ones can ruin your experience by pushing you way too hard or if they're not on the same track as you are.
I personally have a problem with someone recommending that a novice not seek the highest level of knowledge available. User name checks out.

People are intimidated because they lack knowledge. So how does one most quickly climb the knowledge curve? Through trial and error after an orientation by some rando club employee or from someone credentialed in the subject matter?

Without meaningful reference points, most novices don't even know what questions to ask. That's why you pay a professional to educate you. While a PT isn't the only track, and not all of them are good, it isn't a life-long contract. Like anything else, you assess the fit and benefit against your goals, commitment and budget and go from there. I've been month to month for nearly three years.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:33 PM   #38
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

- if there's an exercise you can do with either free weights or cables, you might save yourself a lot of setup time going the cable route. I personally don't enjoy setup time but some people consider it a vital part of the routine, like wiping off a vinyl record.
Free weight and cable exercises are totally different. Cables are great for isolating, but not much else. Free weights, particularly compound exercises, work a much larger part of the body, as they require the user to stabilize the weight while lifting.

For example, a Smith Machine, is great for leg presses. You'll be able to lift more weight, as you don't have to worry about balancing the weight or supporting the weight on your body. You will, however, get a much better workout and build much better core and functional strength from a free weight squat. The Squat and the Smith machine work entirely different muscle groups, despite being essentially the same motion.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #39
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Where in the city are you?

Surely someone from CP is in your area you are and is willing to get you in to do the basics?

I would be happy to take you to a gym, but I'm a Crossfit guy in the Foothills Industrial at lunch Mon-Fri.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:29 PM   #40
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My advice:

1) Do some core work every single session (knee/leg ups, ab wheels, work your obliques etc.)
2) Guys are really bad about working out with heavy weights and then completely disregarding mobility. You're really limiting yourself and inviting injury. I see so many dude bros with crap shoulder and hip mobility. Look up how to properly use a lacrosse ball and foam roller before each workout. Things like windmills and cossack squats can help mobility and strength.
3) Just try to have fun. In my experience, most people are really helpful in the gym and are willing to answer any question you might have.
4) Change it up. You're not a professional athlete, so mix up your exercises and just play around with things. I really like doing supersets of some exercise and then sprints on a ski erg or regular rowing machine for example (I.e. deadlifts/pull-ups/kettlebell stuff/whatever then a minute of aerobic sprinting. 5 sets total). It's killer.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote