Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 AM   #41
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Dude in a pickup towing a trailer in morning traffic today, is in the right lane and needs to get into the left turn lane. Manages to get himself stretched across all 3 lanes. Left turn lane is open, he has lots of room, just needs to pull forward, but doesn't drive forward to get out of the other two lanes until the light turns green and all traffic in all 3 lanes in front of him has cleared. Presumably because he doesn't have a lot of comfort with the dimensions of his trailer.

That was mildly irritating.
I wonder if his half assed, lazy driving, resulted in a line of cars spilling out on to another thoroughfare. He probably never thought of that, and I'm sure he's at home feeling justified in his habit of accumulating plenty of space before moving his foot from the brake to the gas.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #42
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Those people would only have had to wait another 30 seconds for rush hour to end.
Haha I know it does sound silly but when a city only has one main road, it gets busy as all hell. Throw in terribly timed lights and a traffic circle that the locals don't understand how to use and you get a legit rush hour ####show
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #43
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Driving along 16th ave NE in the right lane last night, I come up to a red light by North Hill, and I notice that there's a car two lanes over, sharply cutting across into the center lane (no signal, of course). I figure she's probably trying to get all the way over in to my lane, so I stop. She does come over in to my lane, never even looking over her shoulder to see me until I'm well into my lane. Light turns green and she starts out right on the bumper of the car infront of the car infront of her, and then lane-changes back into the center as soon as she's cleared the car in the center lane... again, not signaling.
So as she's working her way up through the traffic, a truck decides that he's going to do the same to her. He starts trying to work his way up through our cluster of vehicles, but doing exactly what she was doing, cutting in front of others without signalling, as though cutting off other non-offending vehicles was . And then a third vehicle, an SUV, starts doing the same, I'm not sure if because he was cut off by the car, by the truck, or just saw everyone else doing it and wanted to do the same. It was absurd, as though all regular rules of the road had broken down for a few blocks. I slowed down and hung back, some other vehicles did as well, and another one of these and I just looked at each other and shook our heads.
Eventually, just past 10th street the truck finally made his way in front of the car, slammed on his breaks to bring her to a stop, and then sped off.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #44
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In the span of roughly half an hour just now I've seen 3 separate vehicles trying to drive down 7th Ave SW.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #45
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Eventually, just past 10th street the truck finally made his way in front of the car, slammed on his breaks to bring her to a stop, and then sped off.
Ah yes. The "I'm going to teach you a lesson" driver. They're often times worse than the original traffic offender.

Kudos to you and the others for just hanging back while this unfolded.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #46
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Ah yes. The "I'm going to teach you a lesson" driver. They're often times worse than the original traffic offender.

Kudos to you and the others for just hanging back while this unfolded.
I witnessed something similar a couple years ago. I'm on a residential road (two-way traffic, no painted lines). I was halfway through a playground zone going 30 when a car passes me on my left going at least 60. It was pretty upsetting. Right after the playground zone (like, 2 houses later) is my destination, and I need to turn left into a driveway. I signal, slow down, no oncoming traffic - but just as I'm about to turn, a second car passes me on my left again going at least 60. A split second later he would have plowed into my turn. I was pretty angry by this time.

I pull into the driveway, get out of the car and look down the road where the two cars sped by. I see the second speeding car coming back, so I flag him down. He stops, and tells me he raced after the first speeder to try to get his license plate for driving recklessly through the playground zone. Incredible.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #47
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love it when people flip you off for beeping the horn at them when they were playing on their phone and didn't notice the light turn green in front of them. You have a nice ####ing day too, #######.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #48
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I love it when people flip you off for beeping the horn at them when they were playing on their phone and didn't notice the light turn green in front of them. You have a nice ####ing day too, #######.
That's my second highest reason for honking. If you're staring at your lap and not paying attention, you get a honk. If you're glancing down multiple times while going slowly etc, you get a honk. I'm not an ass about it and lay on my horn, I usually give a quick couple honks to catch their attention.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #49
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another random thought - have distracted driving laws been successful?

The only change in behavior seems to be that instead of being obvious about using their cell phones, they're staring into their crotches and driving like sloths. Would the people who are distracted by their cell phones drive better if they were not trying to be sneaky about it?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #50
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
My purely anecdotal observation on the matter: I would guess probably not, as the level of enforcement likely isn't there. I'm in the camp of people who didn't need such a law to make me pay attention while driving a large mass of metal combined with speed, but there's definitely a large portion of people out there who could do with some enforcement of that particular law. Someone may provide you with some real stats though.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:36 PM   #51
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The only change in behavior seems to be that instead of being obvious about using their cell phones, they're staring into their crotches and driving like sloths. Would the people who are distracted by their cell phones drive better if they were not trying to be sneaky about it?
I'm reading this on Deerfoot so I'm guessing now.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #52
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

SB on Sarcee this morning approaching Richmond Road. Light turns yellow and the guy two cars in front of me brakes to stop, which was no problem as he had plenty of time. Buddy behind him (and directly in front of me) punches it, swerves left into the turning lane, cuts off the last car turning left, and blows the by then red light - accelerating through the intersection as he goes.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #53
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
SB on Sarcee this morning approaching Richmond Road. Light turns yellow and the guy two cars in front of me brakes to stop, which was no problem as he had plenty of time. Buddy behind him (and directly in front of me) punches it, swerves left into the turning lane, cuts off the last car turning left, and blows the by then red light - accelerating through the intersection as he goes.
There could be a thread dedicated to this intersection.

Yesterday, a car in the outside turn lane from WB Richmond Rd > SB Sarcee inches through the intersection on a yellow, as traffic on Sarcee is backed up, thereby blocking both EB lanes on Richmond Rd.

Now, it's a gear grinder that people run yellows to squeeze into a backed up road and block traffic (can't ya just wait for the next light cycle?)... The extra grinding of gears in this case came from the vacancy in the inside lane. Instead of cutting a tighter corner and moving to the inside lane where there were several car lengths, from the outside lane, this driver chose to just stay in her lane, where she remained backed up and blocking the intersection through the EB light cycle.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #54
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh man, I hate those total dopes so much. The worst is when you're on the highway preparing to pass a struggler and they drift over into the shoulder to "allow" you to pass. No thanks, you struggle along in the lane and I'll pass when it's safe. I'm not going across the double solid while you flail along in the shoulder.
Growing up, this was the common thing to do. At least in the country. I remember my father getting angry if someone didn't pull over onto the shoulder to let you pass. Not justifying it, as it's silly in hindsight. Old habits.....
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #55
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on the road, it can be quite dangerous too. Soft shoulders can pull you in pretty quick.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #56
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it helped give the person a clearer view ahead. Not a good idea when there is gravel on the shoulder or there is no passing allowed anyway.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:13 AM   #57
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yup, definitely happened regularly back in the day. I remember in my not so bright driving youth, playing a game of passing with a friend in another car. I'd pull over to let him pass, he'd pass and then would pull over to let me pass. Went on for about 15 minutes. Yes, we were idiots.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #58
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary Drivers and Traffic Stories

This morning on Peigan and Barlow this GMC is stopped in the left turn lane, no hazards or anything (maybe the battery died). The driver just gets out and walks away. Driving on my way back it’s still there, cars still pulling up behind it. What a cluster fata. Not so bad now, but gees.

edit: looked like a tow truck came by at around 10 and finally took it away.

Last edited by Wormius; 06-20-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #59
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Insurance companies are jacking the rates on people with distracted driving convictions, the fines might not deter people but when they renew their insurance they will start to think twice if they can even afford it.

Edit: Also apparently you may not qualify for collision coverage anymore either.

Last edited by Raekwon; 06-20-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Insurance companies are jacking the rates on people with distracted driving convictions, the fines might not deter people but when they renew their insurance they will start to think twice if they can even afford it.

Edit: Also apparently you may not qualify for collision coverage anymore either.
Good.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:

Tags
incompetence , licence revoking madness , struggler aficionados