Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #41
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
There are obviously alternative transportation models which could do the same with zero deaths and injuries.
Obviously.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 03:58 PM   #42
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
There are obviously alternative transportation models which could do the same with zero deaths and injuries.
And what would those be? It sure isn’t the LRT, morons walk in front of those and get hit and injured/killed.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #43
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
And what would those be? It sure isn’t the LRT, morons walk in front of those and get hit and injured/killed.
I mean, it is tough because Calgary is unapologetically and committedly built around the car.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #44
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I mean, it is tough because Calgary is unapologetically and committedly built around the car.
Nice dodge. Now, name transportation models with zero fatalities and zero injuries.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #45
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
The one that's 3rd on the list, 1600 10 Ave.
I went to an escape room there one night in January.
I think we were getting out around 8pm, and the photo radar flash was going off almost every time a vehicle drove past.
Yeah, before opening the link I guessed that this one was on the list: high-traffic location that people use as a shortcut between major roads; commercial road with no residential, no school; lots of visual clutter so you're more likely to miss the sign; if you don't notice the signs, it's not even obvious you're driving past a playground until you're halfway through the zone, with the community center hiding it from the road.

I kinda think it's an unnecessary one, kids aren't going to be playing on that side of the park or crossing that street, except to get to the LRT, which is already really well-marked. But I can also see the community having a reason to keep it there just to slow down people speeding through the neighbourhood, but one of those flashing 'your speed' signs would be better for those purposes.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #46
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
Nice dodge. Now, name transportation models with zero fatalities and zero injuries.
Like any transportation system that is integrated to human scale? Your question is so disingenuous.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #47
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Like any transportation system that is integrated to human scale? Your question is so disingenuous.
I didn't ask a question.

You, however, stated "There are obviously alternative transportation models which could do the same with zero deaths and injuries."

Let's hear them.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #48
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
I didn't ask a question.

You, however, stated "There are obviously alternative transportation models which could do the same with zero deaths and injuries."

Let's hear them.
Trains. Let's have lots of trains. Express buses to connect them. Bus-only lanes. Reduce lanes of traffic in high density areas. Replace them with wider sidewalks.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #49
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets have that infinite money first.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:59 PM   #50
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Are there any that can replace the car in the developed world?

People like to point to Europe as a non-car utopia, but cars still have an overwhelming share of passenger-km in the EU-28. You need a Hong Kong, but that city model has problems of its own, plus bus, trains, bikes and walking does nothing for transport of goods.

accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:00 PM   #51
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
But I can also see the community having a reason to keep it there just to slow down people speeding through the neighbourhood, but one of those flashing 'your speed' signs would be better for those purposes.
What are you talking about?! Those signs don't print money like the alternative!!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:01 PM   #52
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Lets have that infinite money first.
Highways are a sink for subsidy dollars.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #53
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Are there any that can replace the car in the developed world?

People like to point to Europe as a non-car utopia, but cars still have an overwhelming share of passenger-km in the EU-28. You need a Hong Kong, but that city model has problems of its own, plus bus, trains, bikes and walking does nothing for transport of goods.

This doesn't address my point. That looks at total inland transportation. I have stated specifically that we could do without them inside cities. Or at least certain portions of cities - such as dense cores.

As well, the more passenger cars you remove from the road, the easier you make it for more efficient commercial transportation.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #54
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Highways are a sink for subsidy dollars.
ok
Old 06-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #55
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Slower cars get in fewer deadlier accidents. Lots of evidence for that.

We have a real problem with bad drivers hitting pedestrians.

https://business.financialpost.com/t...cd-study-finds
I'd say we have a bigger problem with bad pedestrians being idiots. The amount of people I see step out into the road without even looking expecting cars to stop on a dime is insane.

An entire article on the increase of hits an not one word about pedestrians, just drivers. That's nuts to me, people in North America and especially Calgary don't respect cars enough, it's a lot easier as a person to just look both ways and make sure people can see you before crossing, a lot harder to bring a one tonne chunk of metal moving 60km/hr dealing with all the other aspects of traffic to a dead stop.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 06-05-2019 at 05:22 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Cuz
Old 06-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #56
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ok

Quote:
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology calculates that 53,000 Americans die prematurely every year from vehicle pollution, losing 10 years of life on average compared to their lifespans in the absence of tailpipe emissions.
Quote:
Accounting for all costs, from fuel to insurance to depreciation, the average car owner in the U.S. pays $12,544 a year for a car that puts in a mere 14-hour workweek. Drive an SUV? Tack on another $1,908.14
Quote:
The death toll on America’s streets and highways during that same period since 9/11 was more than 400,000 men, women, and children. The traffic death toll in 2015 exceeded 3,000 a month. When it comes to the number of people who die in car wrecks, America experiences the equivalent of four airliner crashes every week.
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...n-life/476346/
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #57
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This doesn't address my point. That looks at total inland transportation. I have stated specifically that we could do without them inside cities.
Inside the inner cores of cities, not in the metro areas where the vast majority of people live.

Quote:
Trains. Let's have lots of trains. Express buses to connect them. Bus-only lanes. Reduce lanes of traffic in high density areas. Replace them with wider sidewalks.
Trains don't scale to the level of cars. The entire EU-28 passenger-km carried by rail in 2016 is less than the passenger-km carried by cars (in 2009) in Canada.

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...ail_passengers
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/policy/anre-menu-3042.htm
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #58
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool, now get North American taxpayers to pay for it. We probably won't even be able to tunnel a subway for 20 blocks on a train running straight up the middle of our city and you're talking about replacing our entire transportation system.

And no, Vancouver isn't any better. It's a traffic ridden ####hole too.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #59
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool, now get North American taxpayers to pay for it. We probably won't even be able to tunnel a subway for 20 blocks on a train running straight up the middle of our city and you're talking about replacing our entire transportation system.

And no, Vancouver isn't any better. It's a traffic ridden ####hole too.
Hey man, I totally agree with you there.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #60
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

One tangent about speeding tickets I've been wondering about...how many speeding tickets are people getting that this is such a problem? I've been driving for 26 years, and have gotten 2 speeding tickets. One playground zone camera (it was a playground zone in an area I'd never been before, and missed the sign, totally my bad) and one red-light camera (pushed the light a little fast and hard in the new Mustang).

Two in 26 years is a non-issue item, as far as I'm concerned. I keep myself to 10 over usually, and have done with it.

How many tickets are people getting that they are getting so bent out of shape over this? And if you get many tickets...maybe the problem is you?
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post: