Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #21
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh at the second comment.

NOBODY CARES!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #22
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Texas T in Ogden?
That was it. I remember going in after working industrial landscaping all day and being the cleanest dudes in that place. "Lingerie Tuesday" was funny too. Not so much sexy lingerie, more like the chicks came in to work, took off their acid wash jeans and started slinging beers.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #23
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
That was it. I remember going in after working industrial landscaping all day and being the cleanest dudes in that place. "Lingerie Tuesday" was funny too. Not so much sexy lingerie, more like the chicks came in to work, took off their acid wash jeans and started slinging beers.
Quite the place indeed.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #24
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

wait? What? The Texas T still exists?

https://www.facebook.com/TheTexasT/
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
wait? What? The Texas T still exists?

https://www.facebook.com/TheTexasT/

Well that was something else.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:52 PM   #26
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
hah, oh yeah. Lingerie Tuesday was the worst/best.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #27
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You might be the oldest human alive who is cognizant of the internet.

Its a tight tie with jammies, but you're in with a shout there ol' feller.
I saw the movie Gremlins at Studio 82 when I was 6 years old. My memory is foggy, but IIRC, my older sister was babysitting me, and she wanted to go out with some boy, and he wanted to go to that movie, so they took me along. No idea how they got me in to what had to have been an R rated movie, but I had nightmares to prove it.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:38 PM   #28
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

My mom took me and my brothers to see 1941/The Jerk double feature at Studio 82. She had no idea what she was taking elementary school kids to go see!!
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:40 PM   #29
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I saw the movie Gremlins at Studio 82 when I was 6 years old. My memory is foggy, but IIRC, my older sister was babysitting me, and she wanted to go out with some boy, and he wanted to go to that movie, so they took me along. No idea how they got me in to what had to have been an R rated movie, but I had nightmares to prove it.
Gremlins was rated PG. There was a warning that it might be too scary for young children (which your sister obviously ignored).

In the States, it was one of the films that led to the creation of the PG-13 rating.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #30
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
And leg bruises. Bikini bar waitresses love their leg bruises.
I know it's part of the leg but technically it's called bruised knees
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #31
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Gremlins was rated PG. There was a warning that it might be too scary for young children (which your sister obviously ignored).

In the States, it was one of the films that led to the creation of the PG-13 rating.
Were you six years old when you saw those goddamn cocoons at the top of the stairs? Well I was. That's R material, dammit!
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 PM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still remember seeing Gremlins with my Girlfriend in the theater, and they had the part where phoebe cates was telling the story of her dad getting stuck in the chimney and dying and I burst out laughing and nobody else in the theater did because they played the scene seriously.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #33
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Were you six years old when you saw those goddamn cocoons at the top of the stairs? Well I was. That's R material, dammit!
There was a straight decapitation of a gremlin and you literally saw the head somersault into the fireplace

Also, you saw a gremlin murder a middle aged couple via bulldozer

But hey, the most horrifying scene for you was the cocoons
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #34
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
There was a straight decapitation of a gremlin and you literally saw the head somersault into the fireplace

Also, you saw a gremlin murder a middle aged couple via bulldozer

But hey, the most horrifying scene for you was the cocoons
Hah. I think I spent the whole time looking through my fingers. All I remember are the cocoons. Six year old me did not deem it worthy of a second viewing.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:55 AM   #35
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is a lot that is going on in the food, restaurant and bar business in Calgary/ Alberta in 2019. A ton of factors and some of them are directly related to all the different levels of government, others have to do with the economy and others have to do with changing tastes.

I have never been to this establishment but in the article they did a good job of highlighting a bunch of the challenges they faced and they seem very real.

Other factors outside of the obvious factors like the usual $15 wage and carbon taxes etc is that now a lot of businesses need to be ON THEIR GAME when it comes to consumer spending. The days when everybody in Calgary was making bank and people were throwing down the bucks for overpriced highballs that contained almost no booze, beer being served with zero head on the top and with a side of attitude from the waitress who expected massive tips are done.

Far too many places with awful food, terrible prices and value and a very poor understanding on the operations side of the business have closed. Not all of it was the NDP's $15 wage and some other excuses fault. Plenty of places have thrived and continue to be in business after 30, 40+ years. Those places GET IT and know the business.

Poor municipal policy is also affecting small, independent chains and its getting harder and harder for them to do business. Every dam suburb looks the same and a HUGE portions of the commercial real estate is owned by the major commercial landlords who have leases and clauses thicker than an old phone booth. All they want is the same thing over and over for business so that they can pay their rent.

A very close friend of mine approached a national commercial landlord for an AMAZING concept down in the south in the food service side that would have been amazing in Calgary. He pretty much got laughed out of the office because that wasn't what they wanted in that spot and wanted the security of the rent payments, ironically him and his family own several franchise locations of a major pizza chain. He brought it up and they went from laughing to salivating at the the thought of them being there but that isn't what the area needed. In some ways its kinda sad because Calgary doesn't have that vibrancy and that differentiation compared to even SMALL cities, we are only getting worse.

Just my thoughts and sorry about the long post! Good luck to the owners of the Trap and Gill in whatever else they do!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #36
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I still remember seeing Gremlins with my Girlfriend in the theater, and they had the part where phoebe cates was telling the story of her dad getting stuck in the chimney and dying and I burst out laughing and nobody else in the theater did because they played the scene seriously.
It must have sucked to have to drag her little scared brother along for the date.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 05-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #37
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I live in the area, and will be sad to see The Trap and Gill go. It's a nice neighbourhood place and has a good summer patio.

I will be curious to see if anything new moves in. With a new condo complex being built down the street (where the Kingsland Farmers Market used to be), I can see this being a good spot for a pub.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:06 PM   #38
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I live in the area, and will be sad to see The Trap and Gill go. It's a nice neighbourhood place and has a good summer patio.

I will be curious to see if anything new moves in. With a new condo complex being built down the street (where the Kingsland Farmers Market used to be), I can see this being a good spot for a pub.
As a bit of an aside, have you heard anything on the old YMCA site across from the Trap & Gill that is now demolished? Kerby Centre relocating there has been mentioned but it has all gone quiet.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:14 PM   #39
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
As a bit of an aside, have you heard anything on the old YMCA site across from the Trap & Gill that is now demolished? Kerby Centre relocating there has been mentioned but it has all gone quiet.
I think it's been denied for some reason- Will probably turn into LRT parking if I had to guess...
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So what you're saying is that

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot?