Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does Alex Jones feel about fluoridation of water? Could be a tipping point for some people that aren't sold on science and facts.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/high-leve...vent-1.4479884

Quote:
Nearly half of children who received a free dental screening at a weekend event in Calgary hadn’t seen a dentist in the previous year and had visible decay, according to the group behind the event.

Quote:
“I was surprised to see how many parents were unaware that the City of Calgary ceased water fluoridation in 2011, and how concerned they became once being told,” said Sajjad Fazel a research associate with Alberta Health Services, in a release.

Quote:
A University of Calgary study conducted in 2016 determined that the removal of fluoride from had been detrimental to the dental health of children. The research found that children in Calgary have, on average, nine cavities while their counterparts in Edmonton, where fluoride continues to be added to the water, average four cavities.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #43
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good thing about Calgary discontinuing floride was you got the perfect large scale, long term study of very similar populations.

You couldn't ask for a better experiment for modern western societies on the effectiveness of fluoride across multiple demographic and income groups. This data set will be amazing for analysis.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #44
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drank fluoridated water once and voted Liberal.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #45
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just remember, when it comes to Edmonton vs Calgary, we're the hillbillies with rotten teeth thanks to this decision. That's all you need to know.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #46
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Just remember, when it comes to Edmonton vs Calgary, we're the hillbillies with rotten teeth thanks to this decision. That's all you need to know.
The worst part is that Calgarians voted against the removal of fluoride and council did it any way. Druh Farrell talks a lot about science re: climate change but was a leading voice in making an anti-evidence based decision.

When will council reverse this ridiculous decision?
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #47
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
The worst part is that Calgarians voted against the removal of fluoride and council did it any way. Druh Farrell talks a lot about science re: climate change but was a leading voice in making an anti-evidence based decision.

When will council reverse this ridiculous decision?
I did a google search and found this from 3 weeks ago.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5342208/c...cil-new-study/

In February, city council voted 13-2 to revisit the issue of fluoride in Calgary’s drinking water. Council will review new evidence on the benefits of fluoridation gathered by the University of Calgary’s O’Brien Institute for Public Health. The report is expected to go to council in June.

The New York-based founder of Fluoride Action Network told the Calgary audience on Saturday that it would be more cost effective for the city to offer free bottles of treated water instead of adding fluoride to the city’s water.
“Instead of persuading council to fluoridate everybody, persuade people to take advantage of these free bottles of fluoridated water if they want it,” said Paul Connett, chemist and acting director of Fluoride Action Network.

this was amusing, wonder how much plastic there would be in giving out free water to the people of Calgary.
I have a better idea than free water. how about they put fluoride back in the water and the very few people who hate it can buy a filter for their tap.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd like to order 3 large boxes of fluoridated water?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #49
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I did a google search and found this from 3 weeks ago.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5342208/c...cil-new-study/

In February, city council voted 13-2 to revisit the issue of fluoride in Calgary’s drinking water. Council will review new evidence on the benefits of fluoridation gathered by the University of Calgary’s O’Brien Institute for Public Health. The report is expected to go to council in June.

The New York-based founder of Fluoride Action Network told the Calgary audience on Saturday that it would be more cost effective for the city to offer free bottles of treated water instead of adding fluoride to the city’s water.
“Instead of persuading council to fluoridate everybody, persuade people to take advantage of these free bottles of fluoridated water if they want it,” said Paul Connett, chemist and acting director of Fluoride Action Network.

this was amusing, wonder how much plastic there would be in giving out free water to the people of Calgary.
I have a better idea than free water. how about they put fluoride back in the water and the very few people who hate it can buy a filter for their tap.
Woah there, that's crazy talk. You can't possibly expect the vocal minority to be inconvenienced in Calgary. Especially when you're talking about the health of the general population and rocket scientist in training Druh Farrell.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-26-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:08 PM   #50
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Woah there, that's crazy talk. You can't possibly expect the vocal minority to be inconvenienced in Calgary. Especially when you're talking about the health of the general population and rocket scientist in training Druh Farrell.
I know. better the vocal minority have the other million people in the city have to travel to pick up their fluoridated water.

I picture the warehouse looking like the one at the end of Indiana jones, only filled with water.

Farrell: "we have top men looking into the fluoride issue"
me "who?"
Farrell: "top...men"
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote