Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #21
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We had half of our big roast for our Chritmas day dinner. It was awesome and had leftovers roast beef sandwiches gravy and fries tonite. Truly was a good piece of meat and still half number 2 for the wife and I another day.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #22
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Only tangentially related, since I already had a roast from Costco, but I tried a new method to cook my prime rib last night. Preheat oven to 250F, rub meat down with oil salt and pepper. Insert a probe thermometer into the center of the roast and put it in the oven. Drop temperature to 200F and let it ride until internal meat temp hits ~120F or so. Take it out and let it coast up to 130-135 internal temp. Meanwhile crank up oven to 500F, and once at temperature put the roast back in for 20 min to get the crust seared.

I was skeptical but it turned out amazing. Perfect medium rare, cut like butter. Took 5 or so hours, which is the only downside.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #23
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Only tangentially related, since I already had a roast from Costco, but I tried a new method to cook my prime rib last night. Preheat oven to 250F, rub meat down with oil salt and pepper. Insert a probe thermometer into the center of the roast and put it in the oven. Drop temperature to 200F and let it ride until internal meat temp hits ~120F or so. Take it out and let it coast up to 130-135 internal temp. Meanwhile crank up oven to 500F, and once at temperature put the roast back in for 20 min to get the crust seared.

I was skeptical but it turned out amazing. Perfect medium rare, cut like butter. Took 5 or so hours, which is the only downside.

I tried a new way too. Brushed the roast with butter and spices and put in a cast iron frying pan. Cranked up the oven to 500F and put in roast in uncovered. For 5 minutes per pound (exactly, in my case that was 27 minutes) then turned off the oven and waited 2 hours.

It was a perfect medium rare
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #24
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I tried a new way too. Brushed the roast with butter and spices and put in a cast iron frying pan. Cranked up the oven to 500F and put in roast in uncovered. For 5 minutes per pound (exactly, in my case that was 27 minutes) then turned off the oven and waited 2 hours.

This idea must be catching on. My nearly 70 year old parents suggested this way, while I wanted to sous vide and sear. I have no idea where they heard of this idea.

We used this oven method Christmas Eve, and it turned out amazing. I was surprised watching the probe increase in temperature for so long with the oven off. We about halved the roast to about 10lbs for 12 people before cooking, and had lots left over for sandwiches. The roast settled out at about 139 degrees (I prefer much rarer), but it was still quite pink throughout and that's how the guests preferred it anyway. Very tender and quite juicy. We used the large end of the roast for this cook.

The other roast we have, we cut it into smaller portions for servings for 4, vacuum sealed them (got 3 equal sized small roasts) and I'm going to sous-vide the next one to compare to this method.

Last edited by Kjesse; 12-26-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 01:40 AM   #25
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
This idea must be catching on. My nearly 70 year old parents suggested this way, while I wanted to sous vide and sear. I have no idea where they heard of this idea.

We used this oven method Christmas Eve, and it turned out amazing. I was surprised watching the probe increase in temperature for so long with the oven off. We about halved the roast to about 10lbs for 12 people before cooking, and had lots left over for sandwiches. The roast settled out at about 139 degrees (I prefer much rarer), but it was still quite pink throughout and that's how the guests preferred it anyway. Very tender and quite juicy. We used the large end of the roast for this cook.

The other roast we have, we cut it into smaller portions for servings for 4, vacuum sealed them (got 3 equal sized small roasts) and I'm going to sous-vide the next one to compare to this method.

From my perspective it is the Michael Smith method. Saw it first by him about 10 yrs ago. Have used on roasts but not Prime rib yet. Has worked great for me. Instead of oil used grain mustard.
14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:46 AM   #26
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why would you sous vide a prime rib?? I can understand for a cheaper cut to get it more tender but seems like a total waste for an already good, tender piece of meat. Doing a prime rib in the oven is one of easiest things to cook.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 08:09 AM   #27
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 View Post
From my perspective it is the Michael Smith method. Saw it first by him about 10 yrs ago. Have used on roasts but not Prime rib yet. Has worked great for me. Instead of oil used grain mustard.
I ask for an extra fat cap from the butcher when roasting my prime rib. I usually ask for the prime cut as well as there is not as much of that piece of fat in the middle of the roast.

I salt and pepper the roast, then put on a substantial bunch of fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, and parsley (I quite often buy a package of those same mixed herbs and use the whole package), and then put the fat cap on top.

Then I use the same hot method followed by 2 hours in the oven while turned off (as described above) and it is a very tender and flavorful medium rare roast every time.

I follow the principle that the best cuts of beef, both roasts and steak, should be cooked hot and fast, and the less expensive cuts should be cooked slow or braised or put in a slow cooker.

Last edited by redforever; 12-28-2017 at 10:22 AM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #28
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Why would you sous vide a prime rib?? I can understand for a cheaper cut to get it more tender but seems like a total waste for an already good, tender piece of meat. Doing a prime rib in the oven is one of easiest things to cook.
Two reasons I want to try it:

-Its likely to be slightly juicier; and
-You can dial in the temperature to the exact doneness you want and it will be consistently that donneness all the way through.

Our prime rib turned out great in the oven, but there was a lot of probe checking and I noticed that different parts of the roast were cooking at different speeds.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #29
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

No need for probe checks if you use the Michael Smith method

I've used his method for years, I just change up the sauces

http://chefmichaelsmith.com/recipe/h...sauce-raifort/
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
14, Zevo
Old 12-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #30
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

How would it be a waste? Sous vide can make a great meal out of a crappy cut, and a great meal out of a great cut. It's just a method of preparation that happens to be mostly hands off and idiot proof. I don't get how cooking via sous vide would waste or ruin anything.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #31
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
How would it be a waste? Sous vide can make a great meal out of a crappy cut, and a great meal out of a great cut. It's just a method of preparation that happens to be mostly hands off and idiot proof. I don't get how cooking via sous vide would waste or ruin anything.
Agreed. I suppose you could sous vide a piece of meat forever and it would never exceed the bath temperature.

The advantage of other methods is time, and really a lot of what sounds like rules of thumb is pretty much based in science and rates of heat transfer.

Bon appetit , all
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:26 AM   #32
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because I don't think you get the same flavor by a quick sear after the fact as you do a a nice crust when done in the oven and over tenderizing can give a strange texture to the meat. I just don't get the appeal of boiling a nice cut of meat when the main benefit(tenderizing) isn't needed.

Not to mention it takes way longer and seems more labor intensive.

But hey, Kjesse told me his/her reason so good enough.

Last edited by Zevo; 12-28-2017 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #33
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't get the appeal of boiling a nice cut of meat when the main benefit(tenderizing) isn't needed.
It sounds like a misunderstanding of what sous vide is. A) It's not boiling. The water doesn't ever directly touch the protein. B) The main benefit isn't tenderizing. It's precision temperature control.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #34
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It sounds like a misunderstanding of what sous vide is. A) It's not boiling. The water doesn't ever directly touch the protein. B) The main benefit isn't tenderizing. It's precision temperature control.
I know what sous vide is...but for you I'll modify my previous post. I don't get the appeal of throwing one of the best cuts of meat in a bag and then placing that bag in hot water only to have to sear it manually after to add flavor and color. A probe and a previously mentioned method of roasting achieves everything easier, quicker, and in my opinion tastier.

But it's your roast, fill your boots.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #35
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Yeah, "waste" is probably too strong of a word, but roasting in an oven probably results in a more flavourful sear/crust. I'm going to find out if sous-viding is worth the trade-off.

I'd compare it to steaks -- I love sous-viding steaks, because I get the same result every time, but if I'm on my game on the grill, I get a better, more flavourful result with the sear. I tend to grill in the summer and sous-vide in the winter for steaks as a result.

I'm inconsistent on the grill, like most people. Its one thing to be a chef at a steakhouse with a controlled ambient temperature with a whiz bang $25,000+ grill, and doing 100 steaks per day, compared to a backyard warrior with a $1000 grill which has hot spots and variable wind and outside temperatures, not to mention, the steaks we buy always are of changing quality, and you do them every couple weeks or so. So sous-viding is a trade-off there but results in the same result every time compared to the grill.

Last edited by Kjesse; 12-28-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:58 PM   #36
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've done both the Michael Smith method and the Sous Vide. They're both awesome, but I prefer the sous vide. Flavour wise I didn't notice a difference, but the sous vide allowed for a much wider time frame to work within, plus the collected juice made a better gravy imo.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #37
Biff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did one sous-vide from absolute frozen while I was at work yesterday. Got home to a rib roast meal 15 minutes after walking in the door after doing a quick sear and making a sherry blue cheese pan sauce with the bag juices. Result was just as good as the from fresh one last week. That's one way sous-vide can be useful for even a good roast. The real good news is that there's four more of them in the freezer.
Biff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #38
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sous vide shines with tougher, cheaper cuts. I wouldn't do a prime rib that way, but the chuck vs prime rib experiment I did was enlightening. I won't be buying prime rib anymore.

I posted my comparison in the sous vide thread.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #39
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sous vide is awesome for reheating your leftover hunk of meat without overdoing it! Been doing it with the Xmas leftover and it's a perfect meal again each time
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #40
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post

Looks like you and I saw the same video. I will never cook a prime rib another way again.

wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wontondestruction For This Useful Post: