Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #41
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Should I just go for it, or spend more money and have less options renting an automatic?
I’d say go for it. I never drove a standard until I bought my first car it’s very easy to pick up other than when you’re stopped on an uphill slope. In which case you might stall a couple of times
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smartcar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 PM   #42
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose my particular concern is if a rental agency would consider that abuse of the car. I mean, I am not going to crash it or anything, but it might be some rough driving for the first while. I just don't know what would happened if they witnessed me stalling the car 20 times in the parking lot before some jarring sounds of gears being ground against each other.

Maybe I should just splurge on an automatic.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #43
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rent a car here for a day if that’s less than the cost difference.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:48 PM   #44
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I mean, its not that difficult. If you can ride a motorbike, im sure you can figure out how to drive stick.

A couple years ago we rented a standard transmission car in Italy, I hadn't driven stick in ages. The first day was interesting. I was stopped at a light on an decent uphill incline, with some dude behind us. When the light turned green, I proceeded to stall the car 3 times, before I got that sucker going. Bless the patient Italian behind us for not losing his ####.

It did take a couple days to get fully comfortable. The most challenging is city driving, figuring out appropriate gears for speeds etc.

To me, if you're in Iceland. May as well just give it a shot. Adds to the adventure.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 03:18 AM   #45
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Costco Car Rentals

https://www.costcotravel.ca/Rental-C...ntent=20151007

Costco car rentals is dynamite, 25% cheaper on average I found. Just booked a car for Los Angeles, taking the kids to Disneyland. Booked through Costco (Alamo) and got an Intermediate SUV for USD$160 for 6 days. That was less than half of when I checked with Expedia and other sites,
No matter how old this post is I can't thank you enough, I had no idea Costco had such wicked savings on rental cars, I had a car(small SUV) booked for 8 days in august and I hated the price of $757.00 but was told August was the most expensive month, after reading this post I gave it a try for fun and now I got the same car from the same place (Avis) for $479.00
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #46
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose my particular concern is if a rental agency would consider that abuse of the car. I mean, I am not going to crash it or anything, but it might be some rough driving for the first while. I just don't know what would happened if they witnessed me stalling the car 20 times in the parking lot before some jarring sounds of gears being ground against each other.

Maybe I should just splurge on an automatic.
They upgrade you to the automatic for free.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #47
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

My dad taught me manual by going out and test driving new cars. He would drive it off the lot and I would take over a few blocks away.

We never abused them or anything and I caught on pretty quick so we didn't damage any of them.

Might be a easy way to see if you can get the hang of it quickly.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:27 AM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or, you could have some fun, and a good excuse to the spouse to own this:

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-...om-tracking-20

Get the shifter add-on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #49
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ That link looks disturbing.

Well, anyway my spouse decided this wouldn't be the best time for us to both practice a manual so I went with a VW Polo from Reykjavik Auto. They came in at just about $800 for 11 days, which isn't great but I guess for Iceland it was better than other places.

Now to wait until our vacation and hope all of our camping gear and clothes and the 4 of us will fit. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:49 PM   #50
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As someone who swears by manual transmission cars and drives a manual every summer in Greece, it makes more sense IF you can get comfortable.

Manual transmission cars in Europe are more common and a lot of rental car agencies don't have a lot of automatic cars. The cars are generally smaller and it gives you more control for which gear your in for what is usually more narrow roads, crazier drivers and very hilly and curvy terrain.

Another thing I always notice and this is just ME is that driving a stick your more in tune with what is going on. Something about that man to machine connection FORCES me to pay more attention to everything around me. You need to anticipate the parking brake, the turns, which gear you should be in, downshifting for corners etc.

Driving automatic cars in someways for a lot of drivers can just be going through the motions.

Another benefit is that manual transmission cars are more fuel efficient as well and fuel can cost a fortune over there! Also always turn in your side mirrors whenever you park in the narrow streets etc to avoid any damage!

Good luck!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^^^ That link looks disturbing.

Well, anyway my spouse decided this wouldn't be the best time for us to both practice a manual so I went with a VW Polo from Reykjavik Auto. They came in at just about $800 for 11 days, which isn't great but I guess for Iceland it was better than other places.

Now to wait until our vacation and hope all of our camping gear and clothes and the 4 of us will fit. Fingers crossed.
Eeek, that'll be..tight. We had a Polo for 2 of us in Portugal. We could get 2 full size suitcases and 2 carry-ons in the back, not much else. Your kids may have to keep sleeping bags on their laps...
Spoiler!
Old 06-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #52
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just came back from Iceland 90 days ago, We rented from sixt and got a Automatic SUV(albeit a Korean Tivoli which was horrific)

Make sure you have insurance Via your credit card or the Rental company. So many distracted drivers on sketchy roads. We totalled our rental car on the first day. somebody looking at something other than the road drifted over and forced us off and down into an embankment
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #53
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
As someone who swears by manual transmission cars and drives a manual every summer in Greece, it makes more sense IF you can get comfortable.

Manual transmission cars in Europe are more common and a lot of rental car agencies don't have a lot of automatic cars. The cars are generally smaller and it gives you more control for which gear your in for what is usually more narrow roads, crazier drivers and very hilly and curvy terrain.

Another thing I always notice and this is just ME is that driving a stick your more in tune with what is going on. Something about that man to machine connection FORCES me to pay more attention to everything around me. You need to anticipate the parking brake, the turns, which gear you should be in, downshifting for corners etc.

Driving automatic cars in someways for a lot of drivers can just be going through the motions.

Another benefit is that manual transmission cars are more fuel efficient as well and fuel can cost a fortune over there! Also always turn in your side mirrors whenever you park in the narrow streets etc to avoid any damage!

Good luck!
Damn if you can't afford an extra $20 on gas, then maybe you shouldn't be going on a couple thousand dollar holiday?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:16 AM   #54
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They upgrade you to the automatic for free.
I’d consider that a downgrade as I much prefer a manual.

What do folks here do about insurance? Does you own policy cover you, credit card, buy the insurance from the rental agency?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:13 AM   #55
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post

What do folks here do about insurance? Does you own policy cover you, credit card, buy the insurance from the rental agency?

Pretty sure my credit card coverage is pretty decent - it's worth digging into the fine print to check. Presumably, higher end cc's have better coverage.

One thing I found interesting when I looked mine up is that I probably was not covered when renting a moving truck. I once drove a Uhaul filled with most of our worldly possessions up to Shelbyville. Didn't realize I may have been playing with fire.

My thinking with insurance coverage (or things like extended warranties, which I don't buy) is that I'd much prefer to deal with a company where I already have history, and the company has some interest in maintaining their business relationship with me.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:25 AM   #56
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’d consider that a downgrade as I much prefer a manual.

Just went through all this for Europe.
The credit card I am using covers CDW, theft, etc.
What it does not cover is 3rd party liability.
Had to read up on all that and deductibles, etc.

Just have to use that card for the purchase, and they asked that I bring a printed copy of my credit card policy regarding insurance for car rental.

Also have to be sure to decline rental companies CDW. Read everything before signing.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #57
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used my CC for the Iceland rental and declined the rental agency’s insurance, but there are a few weird Iceland-centric things I am not sure about. Not going off-road, so not really sure how the sand/ash/gravel stuff.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #58
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Just an FYI, my car insurance only covers 3rd party liability on car rentals in the USA and Canada. I was specifically told by a rep it wouldn't cover any rentals in Europe. Something you may want to check on.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #59
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Damn if you can't afford an extra $20 on gas, then maybe you shouldn't be going on a couple thousand dollar holiday?

I hear ya and your right. I am usually the last guy who ever takes fuel costs into consideration in Canada but when its overseas its a different ball game for a lot of people because of what we are used to.

For example a 1.6 or 2.0L turbodiesel is considered a very powerful engine in a lot of places in Europe. Cars or SUV's with a 3L V6 can literally get you laid with an impressive amount of beautiful women because they consider you wealthy enough to afford the fuel costs.

A friend of mine who drives a large Tahoe SUV in Calgary and loves roomy cars rented a Mercedes Benz van type for his family on a recent trip to Greece and Italy. I warned him about the costs and he brushed them off than its like

$4000 for the rental for a month
135 liter tank at 1.6 Euro per liter of fuel times approx $1.60 Canadian per liter. Now each tank is running $200 Canadian.

All the driving to see friends and family and he ends up with 5000 km's on the trip and than there is the toll roads which ran sometimes $8-10 for EVERY approx 25 minutes of driving for his "passenger bus" category.

If this was a typical round trip drive to Banff for a Calgarian and his Tahoe SUV it would be

Approx $40 in tolls, 35 liters of fuel from downtown Calgary at $2.50 per liter for fuel costs of just under $90.

It's death by a thousand cuts sometimes on vacation so even if you can save 10-15% on fuel by having properly inflated tires (check them yourself for fuel costs and safety) and a manual transmission it can add up in a hurry for a longer vacation.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post: