Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Movember Support

1. Just wanted to say if this is not ok with forum mods, please remove it at your discretion. This is not meant to be a "PIM King" situation. The donations collected go straight to the Movember Foundation. I am posting this on CP because I have seen the power and generosity on this forum. This really is a great community.

2. I am making my first run at the "Movember" scene this year. Specifically, my motivation is to raise awareness in regards to mental health issues within men, as have experienced situations in my own personal life in the past year, that I think allow me to use as a bit of a "platform" to raise awareness.

3. Movember can mean something different to everyone. We all have males in our lives that have experienced both serious physical and mental illnesses, I am simply coming at it from one angle, in a way that has given me serious motivation in raising awareness.

4. There are many people you may know that have their own Movember campaign. Please don't feel obligated in specifically contributing to my page. But please do consider supporting this overall cause.

5. I am a Calgary Flames employee, part of the finance department, and am part of the Calgary Flames Movember campaign. Just thought that was worth being upfront about it.

6. My page is at the end of this post. My overall summary is that I have learned in the last year that I have been managing a chronic anxiety disorder, that I didn't really understand until I started having spotty hair loss on my face and head (alopecia) in very inconsistent places. It has led me to being an easy target for conversation and confusion since it is a superficial issue. Although my physical health has not been impacted, the underlying issue being triggered by a lifelong anxiety issue that had not been detected by myself or those close to me, is somewhat confusing, and a good illustration for how difficult these conditions can be to understand, and how little knowledge is out there in our society.

As a result of my alopecia, I am unable to grow the typical "handlebar mustache", so I am doing my part by running 60km for every $1,000 I am able to raise. So far I am approaching $2k, and expect to reach much more than that, which will put me at a target of 180km for the month. I do run periodically, but the most I have likely done in a month is around 50km, so this will be a very challenging goal for me. If I raise over 3k, I will try to keep this pace up for as long as I can past November to earn the donations earned for this cause.

If you feel this is a worthy cause, and my narrative resonates with you, please consider contributing, or passing my page on to those that may be interested. It really is a great cause, for a number of reasons, and am willing to do my part and put in the effort to raise awareness and donations for a worthy cause.

https://ca.movember.com/mospace/1381...aign=fundraise

Thanks in advance for your support, and assistance in raising awareness for this great cause.

Jamie
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #2
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

It's a tremendous cause for sure.

Men's health has been under prioritized in many ways through the years but that is changing. This is a great vehicle for that.

Good luck and hope you raise a ton of dough.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spoiler!
Old 11-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can confirm that this thread led to at least one confirmed donation, and plenty of views, therefore increasing awareness. Thanks all for reading, and if you are reading this for the first time, please read, help spread awareness, and consider supporting the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wasn't expecting to bump this again - not in my nature - but some exciting news:

-The Flames asked me to represent their Movember campaign and had me speak of my story and the overall Flames Movember campaign on FlamesTV
-Some of you may have seen the interview live during the second intermission yesterday at the dome
-My campaign has really taken off... lots of great support, I'm presently ranked in the top 10 individually in Canada!
-And the Flames are well ahead of every NHL team now by at least $5k or something crazy
-Its been a great experience... lots of great feedback, awareness raised (beyond just the donations).

For those that haven't seen it yet, the link is below:

https://csec.screenlight.tv/shares/N...jW2PBslKecZw3U

Last bump - I swear
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #6
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to see the Calgary Flames are in the lead.....

For those who haven't watched the video, I suggest you do so. I first saw it between periods at the Montreal game on the Jumbotron.

Last edited by The Cobra; 11-20-2018 at 08:06 AM.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Matt, I came across this on social media, is this you?

https://www.facebook.com/events/559237174499769/
Old 11-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Hey Matt, I came across this on social media, is this you?

https://www.facebook.com/events/559237174499769/
Yes - it is! Thanks for sharing! Definitely come out for some beers if anyone is free. Would love a Calgary Puck table at one of the locations. No requirement to support me with a donation, just come for some beers at some local breweries and they are happy to support the cause with the promo coming out of it.

If anyone was listening to the Fan960 I was just live on air. I get pretty anxious for these things, and was kind of dreading it, but my friends said it turned out really well!
Old 11-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
Yes - it is! Thanks for sharing! Definitely come out for some beers if anyone is free. Would love a Calgary Puck table at one of the locations. No requirement to support me with a donation, just come for some beers at some local breweries and they are happy to support the cause with the promo coming out of it.

If anyone was listening to the Fan960 I was just live on air. I get pretty anxious for these things, and was kind of dreading it, but my friends said it turned out really well!
Thanks, I never pass up a chance to get some beers LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey All - looking to get some fun people out to my Movember fundraising event (I am running with the Movember team in the New York Marathon in November hence the early campaign).

Not looking for donations - just show up with a friend/spouse and have some beer for a good cause. Would be really cool to see a CalgaryPuck table out an Inner City Brewing this Sunday, July 7th from 11am to closing. Details are below:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2246809758906026/
Old 07-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #11
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I look damn good with a mustache but my girlfriend disagrees.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I look damn good with a mustache but my girlfriend disagrees.
That's funny, it's similar for me. Wife hates the mustache, boyfriend loves it though.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post: