Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #21
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Nothing screams fresh grad or IT analyst like a laptop backpack!

If its for flights / actual travel, you get a pass while in transit. Other than that, its a paddlin'
I do struggle with this. It's not a great look, I'll give you that. It's just so practical though.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #22
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Goyard Citadin messenger bag. Anything else screams proletariat.
Yikes, that's blue blood gaudy. Get a Filson, like a normal person.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #23
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm going overseas today for work. I have to bring my work laptop with me so i'm borrowing a friends Pacsafe Venturesafe G3 backpack. It is supposedly cut-proof material with RFID blocking pockets and zipper locks.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:23 PM   #24
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I do struggle with this. It's not a great look, I'll give you that. It's just so practical though.
Agreed. I do like traveling with a laptop backpack, but when going to work/conference, I prefer a laptop messenger bag. Sometimes, I travel with the laptop backpack, but bring along a messenger bag to swap the necessary contents for the conference/client meeting.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 03:41 PM   #25
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Goyard Citadin messenger bag. Anything else screams proletariat.
pffft... plebs

I've got this bag with a hand-written note from Komal, a leather craftsman in India, informing me that he made it by hand, start to finish, harvesting and tanning leather from his own buffalo and that he makes only so many of them a year and that he would appreciate it if I spread the good word... Very decent briefcase, actually.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #26
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
pffft... plebs

I've got this bag with a hand-written note from Komal, a leather craftsman in India, informing me that he made it by hand, start to finish, harvesting and tanning leather from his own buffalo and that he makes only so many of them a year and that he would appreciate it if I spread the good word... Very decent briefcase, actually.

That sounds suspiciously like the story I got from a sand painter in Myanmar. I'm beginning to think that maybe he wasn't 100% truthful!
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #27
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there anything acceptable between Dr. Jones treasure satchel and nerdpack?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
That is a pretty awesome bag though. You carry that thing and you'll be smashing tile floors apart in libraries in no time.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:52 PM   #29
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...I'm beginning to think that maybe he wasn't 100% truthful!
Old 11-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #30
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Where do the super practical accordion bags sit on this spectrum?
Old 11-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #31
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Osprey Farpoint 40 is the best travel bag I have ever used - it is functional in that it is lightweight while still maintaining padding with a spot for a laptop. There are compression straps for clothing so you can pack a surprising amount into a carry on bag and still have it be manageable. The best part though is that it has backpack straps built in so if you are having to walk for a while to get to a train/taxi stand, you can easily put it on your back and walk with greater ease.

For a couple of days to a week long trip it is what I would choose.

Plus you can get it at MEC and if it doesn't suit your needs, you can easily return it.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 09:41 AM   #32
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bump.

Thoughts on something like this?
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...7PAOGFVD&psc=1
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 10:02 AM   #33
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Bump.

Thoughts on something like this?
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...7PAOGFVD&psc=1
It'll work, but is that what you're trying to accomplish?
Old 11-21-2023, 12:55 PM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My main requirement is side load versus top load, it's a really nice convenience feature that many people don't think about or have experienced in a backpack.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:44 PM   #35
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
It'll work, but is that what you're trying to accomplish?
I think it fills a few gaps my current bag line-up doesn't have such as:
-Full flip lid for loading
-Clothing straps inside
-Rolling luggage strap; surprised I own so many bags without this
-Zipper lock that I'll probably never use
-Expansion capability for false security of extra 10L of shopping at my destination
-Compression buckles, though I'll probably just use them to strap in my hoodie off to the side
-Handles for top and side carry, and not like some bags where there's two top handles to grab together.
Old 11-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #36
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got one of these work issued backpack that I was allowed to keep even after I left that job:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...p=seo-12631703

It is pretty good. Lots of space and useful pockets. I especially like the water bottle poach on the side and the built-in rain cover. Actually it is pretty cheap too for the quality.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 03:05 PM   #37
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
pffft... plebs

Are you Indiana Jones?
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 01:36 AM   #38
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
I think it fills a few gaps my current bag line-up doesn't have such as:
-Full flip lid for loading
-Clothing straps inside
-Rolling luggage strap; surprised I own so many bags without this
-Zipper lock that I'll probably never use
-Expansion capability for false security of extra 10L of shopping at my destination
-Compression buckles, though I'll probably just use them to strap in my hoodie off to the side
-Handles for top and side carry, and not like some bags where there's two top handles to grab together.
I think it's a really great bag for a specific purpose for a soft shell carry on luggage. As an all in one back pack option... I don't know if the quirks will outweigh the pros. I have something similar but not the same and it certainly didn't for me and I'd consider pairing this up with a day pack.

How tall are you and how wide are you shoulders? This bag seems pretty big.

This seems like it's a large bag designed to distribute items for easy access, but that also means that weight is not necessarily distributed for balance/comfort. The flip lid is kinda cool for loading, but when you're trying to quick grab something, it's kinda annoying. The buckles are a must. Mine doesn't have that and I put on my own. But the strange part of a flip lid is that although you can open it flat, how often would you practically want to do that in anywhere other than a bedroom?

For a carry-on bag or carry on luggage replacement, I think it will be a decent bag. It's basically trying to sit between a carry on luggage and backpack as an option. The expansion is OK but preferably only with lighter objects (ie: Jackets and souvenirs).

Any travel backpack I use, I always add carabiners on it to keep the zippers closed and occasionally to clip souvenir bags on the side. I also add velcro straps or extra long velcro zip ties in case something fails and the flap opens. It can also help to strap souvenir bags or occasional clothing as well.

This bag will be a decent option as a shoulder carry luggage/travel backpack hybrid instead of a rolling luggage or basic backpack. Very useful for trips where you move quickly for around 30-45 minutes then take it off and put it down. If that's the intended usage, it'll probably be great for your purposes. Highly worth checking out to see if you'd want to replace or supplement a hard case carry on luggage with that.

But it's not a design I personally prefer as a true backpack replacement. It's hard to explain. It's not really a comfort issue with the bag. I don't know if you wouldn't have an issue with it or if you'd end up agreeing. But I'd kinda try and describe it as storing things in the storage slots of a car door. You can, and if you can get it to work perfectly for your purposes, great. But once you start using it, it just feels a little concerning. If you're traveling, you might still want to bring along a 10-15L day pack for outings where you take only what you need and not have everything you brought with you all the time.
Old 11-22-2023, 06:28 AM   #39
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’ve got the osprey farpoint 40 and love it. I’m a one bag type of guy and it’s perfect sizing for my needs, and comfy.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 10:34 AM   #40
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I think it's a really great bag for a specific purpose for a soft shell carry on luggage. As an all in one back pack option... I don't know if the quirks will outweigh the pros. I have something similar but not the same and it certainly didn't for me and I'd consider pairing this up with a day pack.

How tall are you and how wide are you shoulders? This bag seems pretty big.

This seems like it's a large bag designed to distribute items for easy access, but that also means that weight is not necessarily distributed for balance/comfort. The flip lid is kinda cool for loading, but when you're trying to quick grab something, it's kinda annoying. The buckles are a must. Mine doesn't have that and I put on my own. But the strange part of a flip lid is that although you can open it flat, how often would you practically want to do that in anywhere other than a bedroom?

For a carry-on bag or carry on luggage replacement, I think it will be a decent bag. It's basically trying to sit between a carry on luggage and backpack as an option. The expansion is OK but preferably only with lighter objects (ie: Jackets and souvenirs).

Any travel backpack I use, I always add carabiners on it to keep the zippers closed and occasionally to clip souvenir bags on the side. I also add velcro straps or extra long velcro zip ties in case something fails and the flap opens. It can also help to strap souvenir bags or occasional clothing as well.

This bag will be a decent option as a shoulder carry luggage/travel backpack hybrid instead of a rolling luggage or basic backpack. Very useful for trips where you move quickly for around 30-45 minutes then take it off and put it down. If that's the intended usage, it'll probably be great for your purposes. Highly worth checking out to see if you'd want to replace or supplement a hard case carry on luggage with that.

But it's not a design I personally prefer as a true backpack replacement. It's hard to explain. It's not really a comfort issue with the bag. I don't know if you wouldn't have an issue with it or if you'd end up agreeing. But I'd kinda try and describe it as storing things in the storage slots of a car door. You can, and if you can get it to work perfectly for your purposes, great. But once you start using it, it just feels a little concerning. If you're traveling, you might still want to bring along a 10-15L day pack for outings where you take only what you need and not have everything you brought with you all the time.
Received the bag and started packing it up. I'm a pretty big dude and haven't yet found a bag that's too big for my frame.
So it flips to the side for the larger "clothing" compartment.
And then the back laptop compartment opens from the top, but also goes full 90

So I think anything that's cabin accessed will be in the back with the laptop, or in the front pockets, not in the middle clothing one.

Expansion system was a fail. I'm carrying way more stuff than I thought it was so it's already full packed on the way out. We're planning on bringing home another checked bag, so hopefully the redistribution will let me collapse it again.

Also we're front-row people without under-seat storage so all carry-ons are going up overhead... not sure how much I'll care about cabin-access to this bag for long haul.

Yes I won't be dailying this.

Last edited by jwslam; 11-23-2023 at 10:37 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post: