Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #3221
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be really curious to know what the financial difference for OSEG between the leagues would be. I can't imagine that Fury were going to lose heaps of revenue based on the switch.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:53 AM   #3222
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Shermanator may know better, but there's been a lot of talk that the CPL wouldn't waive the expansion fee for Ottawa. And since they are seemingly asking $9 million right now, that's a healthy chunk of change.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #3223
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Shermanator may know better, but there's been a lot of talk that the CPL wouldn't waive the expansion fee for Ottawa. And since they are seemingly asking $9 million right now, that's a healthy chunk of change.
$9 Million sounds a lot like money a team will never get back. I would love to find out what the state of team finances are.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #3224
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
It really sounds like a fight between two really sleazy and egotistical sides.

If what the Fury are saying is true, CSA was underhanded and devious to them. Of course, pretending that CanPL is anything less than USL's equal is hubris as well (unless they neuter the league with too many U23 Canadian rules to make it PDL +).

Not surprising, Canada Soccer really is filled with self interested, arrogant and ignorant people. We're very fortunate that we have an ownership group like the Southern family and that they are willing to do business with these people.
The CSA has absolutely nothing to do with this decision. They actually granted sanctioning for the Fury for 2020. Sanctioning by both US Soccer and CONCACAF was delayed.

https://twitter.com/AJonSports/statu...619472896?s=19

I know people here hate the CSA (to an almost irrational level) but facts are also important.

Last edited by shermanator; 11-08-2019 at 11:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #3225
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bottom line is this is sad news. Canadian soccer, and the CPL would be better off with the Fury around. It is a team that has lasted 6 years, and had a strong fan base.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #3226
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

At the same time, the 'hostage' comment included a statement that they expect to be in the CPL - probably in 2021. They are evidently just going to try and pressure some concessions from the league.

Ideally, the CSA sits everyone down and they figure out how to get Ottawa into the league for next year.

Interestingly, Ottawa's baseball team was also just pushed out of its league following a merger. Though that team has also had financial difficulties. Ottawa is having a very bad sports year.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 11-08-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #3227
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1192865191966519296

Zator call up is official
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #3228
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

At 25 you'd have to think that Zator's future is still bright.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #3229
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The CSA has absolutely nothing to do with this decision. They actually granted sanctioning for the Fury for 2020. Sanctioning by both US Soccer and CONCACAF was delayed.

https://twitter.com/AJonSports/statu...619472896?s=19

I know people here hate the CSA (to an almost irrational level) but facts are also important.
If sanctioning by US Soccer and CONCACAF was delayed because CSA sat on their documentation for several months as alleged, that is absolutely on them.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #3230
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

OSEG are simply walking away from a money sink in the Fury. Both the Redblacks and the 67s are profitable, and yet OSEG lose millions a year.

They are using the sanctioning argument as a convenient way for them to save face with their supporters. Blame everyone else for their poor decisions and take no responsibility.

CPL supporters groups see right through that argument and rightly so. From what we've heard (second hand) the league offered them significant concessions including no expansion fee and the ability to go over the salary cap for the first year so they didnt have to scramble. But they wanted no part of CPL. So CPL played hardball on the expansion fee for this year and Fury folded.

Not much lost IMO.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #3231
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's sad about the whole situation is the Fury did amazing things in their first 2 years. They got big crowds, made the NASL finals and looked like they would be the next Whitecaps or Impact.

But then OSEG looked at the balance sheet and panicked.

They gutted their squad (despite the players publicly begging ownership to keep it together), dropped their academy, moved to USL (paying another expansion fee) as a cost cutting measure and then continued to cut until they had gutted their fanbase and squad to bare bones.

CPL will be back in Ottawa in time and it will be done right the next time around.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #3232
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Cavalry FC's first year in the books, call it a success

https://calgarysun.com/sports/soccer...l-it-a-success

With this interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Ownership also wants to provide better customer amenities at the stadium, such as concessions and places for fans to get warm at halftime.

Then there’s a desire down the road to improve the game-day experience.

“We want the north end to emulate the south end and get a little noise in here,” Allison said.
I wonder what they're planning to do to make this happen? Permanent seating? Permitted smoke bombs and fist fights with opposing fans?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #3233
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that they want to double the number of season ticket holders. They cited 2000 as the number last year. 4000 seems a little ambitious to me, that said, I expect the attendance to grow from last year indefinitely.

Also, on that note, I noticed that the back door to buying seasons tickets has closed.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #3234
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If sanctioning by US Soccer and CONCACAF was delayed because CSA sat on their documentation for several months as alleged, that is absolutely on them.
And I thought from the articles back at the time, that Concacaf expected the CSA to sort it all out as it was a Canadian only matter, and when they stayed deliberately silent, Concacaf had no choice but to step in and sort it out last minute. Sounds like they've stepped in again and reminded Fury about what they want, and that's a Canadian pro team, to play in a Canadian pro league and the USL probably could care less either way.

CSA (though they had to do it quietly, given the CPL and backlash it would get for going against the good of the game in Canada) lost/got out politicked to Concacaf, is what that read like, so Pugh is taking his Fury and their ball and going home.

It really is rich to hear a CSA board member lament "politics" as the reason he didn't get his way for his team. No desire for the supposed mandate of the organization he works for and collects a cheque for, in growing Canadian soccer, it's all about his interests. Politics makes that organization go round and 90% of its day to day happenings are strictly to do with handing and dealing with internal political battles.

His sob story riccochet about the big bad CPL giving him a ransom note is about as hollow as Forge's Microwaveable Plate Championship.

Last edited by browna; 11-08-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #3235
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

With this interesting tidbit:

I wonder what they're planning to do to make this happen? Permanent seating? Permitted smoke bombs and fist fights with opposing fans?
I think you're misinterpreting the quote. I'm in the North end, so it'll take some work to get the south stand up to that standard!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #3236
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Unpopular opinion: Drunken European ultras only. Smoke bombs are mandatory
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #3237
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The CSA provided Fury with their 2020 sanctioning on May 17.

https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-...2487-preview-1

Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 PM   #3238
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't imagine the CPL expansion fee is actually $9 million is it? Or was that the special 10x more than everyone else deal just for Ottawa?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #3239
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel dirty quoting Kurt Larson but...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1193180403349241856
https://twitter.com/user/status/1193181324124798976

Old 11-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #3240
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I can't imagine the CPL expansion fee is actually $9 million is it? Or was that the special 10x more than everyone else deal just for Ottawa?
It can't be. That'd destroy most teams before even started.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge