Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #801
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I present to you the reason we are losing the series:

Anaheim goals in game 1:

Goal #1: Engelland can't tie up his man, we get scored on in the first 90 seconds.
Goal #2: Engelland and Bartkowski go for a fun line change.
Goal #3: Bouma in the box for a stupid penalty + Elliott gets beat under the arm.

Anaheim goals in game 2:

Goal #1: Bartkowski, Engelland, Elliott. For some reason we start the game with our worst defense pairing, and get scored on in the first 90 seconds.
Goal #2: Elliott gets beat on a wraparound. Can't happen.
Goal #3: Bouma, Elliott. Elliott gets beat by a muffin, Bouma deflects it because he is in poor position.

Anaheim goals in game 3:

Goal #1: Bouma and Elliott. 4th line gets caught up ice. Bouma stops skating at the Anaheim blue line and coasts back. Stajan loses gets beat to the net by Perry. Elliott kicks a massive rebound from the half boards into the slot.
Goal #2: Elliott lets in a muffin with less than a minute from the half boards.
Goal #3: Engelland and Bartkowski are on the ice inexplicably with less than ten minutes to go.
Goal #4: Engelland and Bartkowski are on the ice inexplicably with less than five minutes to go.
Goal #5: Elliott chips a rebound of a harmless half boards shot into the slot and banks it off our own player.

So there you have it folks. Pretty common theme throughout. Engelland and Bartkowski are getting absolutely victimized this series. Our fourth line is getting dominated. Our goalie can't stop a puck.

Two out of three of those things can be controlled by Gulutzan.

But he insists on playing our third pairing and fourth line an inexcusably high amount. Couple that with the terrible goal tending by Elliott, and we are full marks for where we are at 0-3.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #802
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Bennett and Monahan are outplaying Getzlaf and Kesler. We're winning that battle. What a huge step for our young centres..
Monahan and Bennett have been great. With the puck, without the puck.. both are playing high level hockey through three games in the post season.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #803
azzarish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Feel absolutely crestfallen. It's not one where you sleep it off and feel better in the morning.
azzarish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #804
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

If we can't beat the Ducks missing their top 2 d-man and with Bieksa playing 23 mins a game, we may never beat them ever again!
I keep forgetting how depleted they are on D.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #805
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

So, IntenseFan.... How bout them Flames?
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #806
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Goal #1: Engelland can't tie up his man, we get scored on in the first 90 seconds.
Goal #2: Engelland and Bartkowski go for a fun line change.
Goal #3: Bouma in the box for a stupid penalty + Elliott gets beat under the arm.

Anaheim goals in game 2:

Goal #1: Bartkowski, Engelland, Elliott. For some reason we start the game with our worst defense pairing, and get scored on in the first 90 seconds.
Goal #2: Elliott gets beat on a wraparound. Can't happen.
Goal #3: Bouma, Elliott. Elliott gets beat by a muffin, Bouma deflects it because he is in poor position.

Anaheim goals in game 3:

Goal #1: Bouma and Elliott. 4th line gets caught up ice. Bouma stops skating at the Anaheim blue line and coasts back. Stajan loses gets beat to the net by Perry. Elliott kicks a massive rebound from the half boards into the slot.
Goal #2: Elliott lets in a muffin with less than a minute from the half boards.
Goal #3: Engelland and Bartkowski are on the ice inexplicably with less than ten minutes to go.
Goal #4: Engelland and Bartkowski are on the ice inexplicably with less than five minutes to go.
Goal #5: Elliott chips a rebound of a harmless half boards shot into the slot and banks it off our own player.

So there you have it folks. Pretty common theme throughout. Engelland and Bartkowski are getting absolutely victimized this series. Our fourth line is getting dominated. Our goalie can't stop a puck.

Two out of three of those things can be controlled by Gulutzan.

But he insists on playing our third pairing and fourth line an inexcusably high amount. Couple that with the terrible goal tending by Elliott, and we are full marks for where we are at 0-3.
Nailed the summary right here folks.

I’m not sure what anyone see’s in Bart beside the odd body check. He plays the puck like it’s a hot potato and is a massive liability on the ice ALL THE TIME. There was a reason why he was a AHLer prior to us picking him up. Too bad Engeland had to play with that boat anchor.

Honorable mention to Elliot obviously.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #807
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Nailed the summary right here folks.

I’m not sure what anyone see’s in Bart beside the odd body check. He plays the puck like it’s a hot potato and is a massive liability on the ice ALL THE TIME. There was a reason why he was a AHLer prior to us picking him up. Too bad Engeland had to play with that boat anchor.

Honorable mention to Elliot obviously.
I don't think anyone sees anything in bartkowski but I'd rather have him in the lineup than Wideman
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #808
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bartkowski can't be a regular next season. He's only okay in limited duty.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #809
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I really think it's time to give Wideman a chance. Just bring him in and replace Bart. I know Wideman is right handed and Bart is left, but let's just give that a try. I can't see him doing worse than what Bart is doing right now.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #810
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If there are any signings in the 6/7 spots on D before the kids get a long look at camp I'm going to be disappointed.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #811
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of you have short memories...yes, Wideman can and has been much worse than bartkowski.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #812
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playoffs feel like watching a regular season game from last year.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #813
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

wtf did I watch last night.. that was complete trash. I am ####ing pissed off and hungover at work and want to punch everybody out
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #814
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Im in a 28 year abusive relationship with the Calgary Flames. Season tickets since 95, i give so much and try to make it work and the Flames just break me and i continue to forgive them and crawl back begging for more.

This one really really stings havent felt this down in quite some time
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #815
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

As bad as the 3rd pairing and 4th lines have been, that's on the coach to not play them more then 10 minutes a game. Other playoff teams shorten the bench and give their top forwards 20+ mins and their top D 25+mins of icetime. GG is obsessed with rolling all the lines all game long. That might work well in various stretches of the regular season when you can afford to do that. But now is not that time. Weak players should be seeing <8 mins and the top guns being ridden hard.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #816
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliot did suck last night, but the whole team in front of him from about 15 minutes in the second period onwards sucked and choked big time. It's like first 35 minutes, they were relentless in their fore-checking and they were up 4-1. Once all that fore and back-check stopped and they're trying to do their neutral zone passes and their fancy passing, that's when you know they're screwed. You can do that in the regular season, but this is the playoffs FFS! They had the whole third period to figure that out and they frickin got Trumped - like HUGE!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #817
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
So, IntenseFan.... How bout them Flames?
Why keep provoking the guy?

he was piled on last night and baited into escalating an ongoing argument. Are you sad you missed your chance to join the dog pile?

What are you hoping to accomplish with it?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #818
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
As bad as the 3rd pairing and 4th lines have been, that's on the coach to not play them more then 10 minutes a game. Other playoff teams shorten the bench and give their top forwards 20+ mins and their top D 25+mins of icetime. GG is obsessed with rolling all the lines all game long. That might work well in various stretches of the regular season when you can afford to do that. But now is not that time. Weak players should be seeing <8 mins and the top guns being ridden hard.
This.

Let your best players decide the games, not your worst.

The flames are losing this series for two reasons.

1. Elliott has been awful.

2. Gulutzan is not playing his best players enough.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #819
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
wtf did I watch last night.. that was complete trash. I am ####ing pissed off and hungover at work and want to punch everybody out
I'll give you 5 no 10 no 20 dollars to run down the hallway shouting "The Flames suck" while punching out co-workers. For this offer to be valid we need video.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #820
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Why keep provoking the guy?

he was piled on last night and baited into escalating an ongoing argument. Are you sad you missed your chance to join the dog pile?

What are you hoping to accomplish with it?
Why defend him? He received what he went looking for. There was no dog pile. He was taking on all comers last night.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote