Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #161
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am as happy with a win as anyone. But the Flames really need to clean on their act. Way too many sloppy penalties. They were lucky not to get absolutely buried.
They weren't lucky - their PK was excellent. I'm not sure the penalties were that sloppy - most were accidental and got called (which is marginal officiating). IMO the Sabres did as much, just without the calls. Really Calgary just got the blatant ones - high stick to Gio's face, eg.

The same penalty called on Kylington was committed against JG without a call.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #162
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Was also surprised how great of chemistry it looked like Backlund and Monahan had, they looked great together.
I think they are both easy to play with so they just fit each other perfectly.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #163
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
They weren't lucky - their PK was excellent. I'm not sure the penalties were that sloppy - most were accidental and got called (which is marginal officiating). IMO the Sabres did as much, just without the calls. Really Calgary just got the blatant ones - high stick to Gio's face, eg.

The same penalty called on Kylington was committed against JG without a call.
I agree their PK was great, and has been all year. Still, on top of that was that Buffalo's powerplay was an embarrassment. However, I am not talking only about tonight, but about a pattern that is concerning. The Flames take more minor penalties then any other team in the NHL right now, and are fourth in times short handed.

While they have only allowed 15 goals in while short handed (21st), the implications of going short handed so often are far reaching. It scrambles their lines ,and it breaks up their offensive momentum.

To me this is visible the aspect of the Flames play that needs to be improved.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #164
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think suggestion of bias is silly.

That said NHL officiating is very clearly absurdly inconsistent. There’s bad officiating every game whether it’s in the Flames favour or not. If you’re trying to argue NHL officiating is pretty consistent and fair I think you’re out to lunch. Every game I watch there’s bad non calls.

The officials are not biased against the Flames. But NHL officiating is overall shoddy.
I disagree, officials are held to an imaginary standard that has never existed in real life. Any attempt to materialize that standard would result in an unwatchable game full of video reviews. Calls will get missed, calls will get embellished, and I am fine with that so long as it is within reason. Sometimes it is outrageous but I would argue that only happens 4 or 5 out of 82 games per team. Could that be better in the future? Maybe, but lets not pretend that things are worse then they've ever been.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #165
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, except he took an interference penalty earlier.
That interference was a play we see guys not only get away with multiple times a game, but usually praised for making. I'd argue likewise on the crosscheck.

I struggle to evaluate players based on whether or not they get called for things because of how inconsistently things are called.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #166
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I agree their PK was great, and has been all year. Still, on top of that was that Buffalo's powerplay was an embarrassment. However, I am not talking only about tonight, but about a pattern that is concerning. The Flames take more minor penalties then any other team in the NHL right now, and are fourth in times short handed.

While they have only allowed 15 goals in while short handed (21st), the implications of going short handed so often are far reaching. It scrambles their lines ,and it breaks up their offensive momentum.

To me this is visible the aspect of the Flames play that needs to be improved.
I think the lack of drawing penalties comes from their unenergetic play. Move your feet, go to dirty areas, draw penalties.

I view penalties overall more on an individual basis though. Last night I was really only miffed at Tkachuk's and Kylington's because they were avoidable.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #167
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honestly, this was one of the best played games of the season for the Flames! They dominated pretty well every period and brought tons of pressure. Great cycling of the puck, physical presence was there and they played confident. I'm liking what I'm seeing!
Old 12-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #168
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
That interference was a play we see guys not only get away with multiple times a game, but usually praised for making. I'd argue likewise on the crosscheck.

I struggle to evaluate players based on whether or not they get called for things because of how inconsistently things are called.
It was the interference I thought was an easy call. And Tkachuk's over the glass, relatively unforced. Frankly, Tkachuk had a subpar game.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #169
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

AC, is there any way you could put up a clip of the Lucic goal with a bit of play after when it's announced and the crowd goes crazy?

Both highlight packages end right after the first replay of the goal.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #170
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
AC, is there any way you could put up a clip of the Lucic goal with a bit of play after when it's announced and the crowd goes crazy?

Both highlight packages end right after the first replay of the goal.
Might save AC a bit of effort here - Galaxy91122 of reddit puts up post game vids after every game. And since the start of the 2017-18(?) season he's tried to include every single Beasley goal call as well when possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CalgaryFlam...sabres_flames/