Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2024, 06:55 AM   #2621
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While the Flames obviously have their lists, if the people ranked around us in leaning Buium, Lindstrom and Helenius. I haven't even read up on those projected in the top 5 but inevitably one might make it. I wasn't a fan in 2004 but I wouldn't be unhappy with Iginla either.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:00 AM   #2622
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
You have to consider he's also one of the oldest players in the draft though, he had 19g-47pts last year, for instance he's 9 months older than Dickinson, 6 months older than Parekh and a full 11 months older than Iginla.

Not always a big deal but it usually amounts to an extra year in the CHL which can be huge in the development curve.
Some scouts question his effectiveness when he turns pro and can't bully smaller players like he does in junior. I would feel more comfortable picking him in the 13+ area of the first round.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-03-2024 at 07:03 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:08 AM   #2623
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is my personal view, but I really, really like the defenseman available in the top 10. If we aren’t winning a top 3 lottery position, am leaning heavily into a defenseman. I know we have some solid studs, but these seem to have a higher likelihood of panning out as a top pairing D. With the exception of Iginla (or if Catton is miraculously available based on D demand for many of the bottom teams), I would be ecstatic with one of Dickinson, Buium, Levshunov, Silayev Parekh, and Yakemchuk. Still hoping for a forward because that’s the biggest need, but BPA is always the route to go. HM to Helenius, don’t mind him either. Not a fan of Lindstrom at all.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 05-03-2024 at 07:10 AM.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 08:28 AM   #2624
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=Roof-Daddy;9076854]I wouldn't Carter George with one of the 2nds

What are you saying?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:30 AM   #2625
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
While the Flames obviously have their lists, if the people ranked around us in leaning Buium, Lindstrom and Helenius. I haven't even read up on those projected in the top 5 but inevitably one might make it. I wasn't a fan in 2004 but I wouldn't be unhappy with Iginla either.
But would you be happy with him?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:31 AM   #2626
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I think we all can disagree on whom we should pick, but the one common bond all Flames fans share is that we all know with 100% certainty, that if we pick Iginla, he’s gonna be terrible, and if we do not, he’s gonna change the world.
I can't disagree to agree with this!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 08:48 AM   #2627
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Rick M.;9077512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I wouldn't Carter George with one of the 2nds

What are you saying?
Im typing sentences with words missing apparently....

I've been watching the U18s and Canada's goalie Carter George has stood out in a good way.

I see he's ranked in the 50s to 60s mostly for this year's draft and the Flames have a couple of 2nds. They're due to draft another goalie too I would imagine.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 09:56 AM   #2628
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I can't disagree to agree with this!
Can neither confirm nor unconfirm.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:36 AM   #2629
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Im typing sentences with words missing apparently....

I've been watching the U18s and Canada's goalie Carter George has stood out in a good way.

I see he's ranked in the 50s to 60s mostly for this year's draft and the Flames have a couple of 2nds. They're due to draft another goalie too I would imagine.
If we were to grab a goalie I think I'd rather grab a European goalie, Saarinen or Vinni (I mean we all like Finnish goalies right?) maybe. Get a couple of extra years before we need to sign them to an ELC and bring them in a bit closer to maturity as a player.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:00 AM   #2630
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Curious about what lists you follow for “expert” opinions.
Sure. Both Athletic Guys have Iginla outside the top 10. Mackenzie's latest has not come out but he has had Iginla outside the top 10. SN has him 11 on their latest list. If you figure out Central Scoutings list and combine them he would be outside the top 10 there as well. Tij is a good player and if the Flames choose him at 9 I will be more then ok with it , you have a clear bias for this player because of his last name though and it shows.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #2631
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought I would make my attempt at draft ceiling/floor comparisons for some of the top rated prospects. I find the comparables they do on draft somewhat helpful for getting an idea of what a player could be. However, sports media want fans to be excited when watching the draft so every player’s comparable is representative of the absolute highest ceiling. It seems like every two-way center drafted in the first round for the last decade has Patrice Bergeron as their comparable. I know they don’t mean to say they project that player to be as good as one of the best two-way forwards in NHL history… but it does seem lazy to only use such a high ceiling comparison.

Of course, the comparables are very subjective and I’m just using what I have read and watched about these prospects. It’s more to start a discussion. I’ve included what a I think the player’s floor potential is and what their ceiling potential is in my opinion. Depending on the player, they may be more likely to hit their floor than their ceiling. And, of course, virtually all of these player have an actual floor of not being NHL players at all. Not putting these in any particular order:

Celebrini:
Floor: Nico Hischier
Ceiling: Jonathan Toews

Demidov:
Floor: Vladislav Namestnikov
Ceiling: Kirill Kaprisov

Levshunov:
Floor: Rasmus Andersson
Ceiling: Roman Josi

Yakemchuk:
Floor: Matt Dumba
Ceiling: Drew Doughty

Buium:
Floor: Samuel Girard
Ceiling: Adam Fox

Silayev:
Floor: Nikita Zadorov
Ceiling: Victor Hedman

Catton:
Floor: Alex Nylander
Ceiling: William Nylander

Parekh:
Floor: Tyson Barrie

Dickinson:
Floor: Brandon Carlo
Ceiling: Alex Pietrangelo

Helenius:
Floor: Joel Eriksson Ek
Ceiling: Nic Suzuki

Lindstrom:
Floor: Josh Anderson
Ceiling: Ryan Getzlaf

Eiserman:
Floor: Patrik Laine
Ceiling: Cole Caufield

Iginla:
Floor: Blake Coleman
Ceiling: Matthew Tkachuk

Last edited by stemit14; 05-03-2024 at 11:23 AM.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 01:01 PM   #2632
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Celebrini:

Toews has a career high 81 points.
I know league scoring has gone up, but I think Celebrini still puts up much better numbers throughout his career.
Stylistically, sure, they're more comparable.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 01:11 PM   #2633
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Thought I would make my attempt at draft ceiling/floor comparisons for some of the top rated prospects. I find the comparables they do on draft somewhat helpful for getting an idea of what a player could be. However, sports media want fans to be excited when watching the draft so every player’s comparable is representative of the absolute highest ceiling. It seems like every two-way center drafted in the first round for the last decade has Patrice Bergeron as their comparable. I know they don’t mean to say they project that player to be as good as one of the best two-way forwards in NHL history… but it does seem lazy to only use such a high ceiling comparison.

Of course, the comparables are very subjective and I’m just using what I have read and watched about these prospects. It’s more to start a discussion. I’ve included what a I think the player’s floor potential is and what their ceiling potential is in my opinion. Depending on the player, they may be more likely to hit their floor than their ceiling. And, of course, virtually all of these player have an actual floor of not being NHL players at all. Not putting these in any particular order:

Celebrini:

Demidov:
Floor: Vladislav Namestnikov
Ceiling: Kirill Kaprisov

Levshunov:
Floor: Rasmus Andersson
Ceiling: Roman Josi

Yakemchuk:
Floor: Matt Dumba
Ceiling: Drew Doughty

Buium:
Floor: Samuel Girard

Silayev:
Floor: Nikita Zadorov
Ceiling: Victor Hedman

Catton:
Floor: Alex Nylander
Ceiling: William Nylander

Parekh:
Floor: Tyson Barrie

Dickinson:
Floor: Brandon Carlo
Ceiling: Alex Pietrangelo

Helenius:
Floor: Joel Eriksson Ek
Ceiling: Nic Suzuki

Lindstrom:
Floor: Josh Anderson
Ceiling: Ryan Getzlaf

Eiserman:
Floor: Patrik Laine
Ceiling: Cole Caufield

Iginla:
Floor: Blake Coleman
Ceiling: Matthew Tkachuk
Great list! Still want Tij
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 01:49 PM   #2634
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah we should get a good player with our pick. I would keep Silayev and Lindstrom off our list though.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 01:53 PM   #2635
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sure. Both Athletic Guys have Iginla outside the top 10. Mackenzie's latest has not come out but he has had Iginla outside the top 10. SN has him 11 on their latest list. If you figure out Central Scoutings list and combine them he would be outside the top 10 there as well. Tij is a good player and if the Flames choose him at 9 I will be more then ok with it , you have a clear bias for this player because of his last name though and it shows.
This is where you're wrong.

I want Iginla because:

- His progression this season
- Youngest top prospect in the draft (age is very important for me)
- 47 goals
- High IQ
- Very good skater
- His playoff performance shows he's a gamer

If I was using his Iginla name I would just say he's miles better than his dad at the same age, I'm willing to bet if healthy he'll be a top 3 goal scorer in the Dub next year at 18 against 19 and 20 year old's. .

As far as the rankings you follow I would guess not one of them is updated after his playoffs and most are probably mid season rankings, I've explained before that this time of year team scouts are very tight lipped about final rankings and that's mostly who feed the rankings to the media guys.

Here's a text I got 3 days ago from a scout when I asked what he thought on the Flames taking him.

If the Flames get him at 9 it'll be because 7 other teams were sleeping
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 02:06 PM   #2636
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is where you're wrong.

I want Iginla because:

- His progression this season
- Youngest top prospect in the draft (age is very important for me)
- 47 goals
- High IQ
- Very good skater
- His playoff performance shows he's a gamer

If I was using his Iginla name I would just say he's miles better than his dad at the same age, I'm willing to bet if healthy he'll be a top 3 goal scorer in the Dub next year at 18 against 19 and 20 year old's. .

As far as the rankings you follow I would guess not one of them is updated after his playoffs and most are probably mid season rankings, I've explained before that this time of year team scouts are very tight lipped about final rankings and that's mostly who feed the rankings to the media guys.

Here's a text I got 3 days ago from a scout when I asked what he thought on the Flames taking him.

If the Flames get him at 9 it'll be because 7 other teams were sleeping
Two of them have come out since his playoffs. In the first series against a weak opponent he had a great round 1. In the second round against a strong opponent he was a non factor. I don't see his value rising above 10 even after the U18 on most lists. Your scout is out to lunch if he thinks Iginla is the second best prospect in this draft and would be on an island there. Not one scout I have seen has Iginla over Demidov nor should they, he is on another level. I'm sorry , not buying what you are selling. If his name was Tij Smith you wouldn't be going off about him the way you are.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 02:51 PM   #2637
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Great list! Still want Tij
Same here. I think he’s one of the best bets to be an impact player in the league. His skillset, his progression in junior this year, how he has played in the playoffs and how he has looked at the U18s. Plus he is one of the youngest players in the draft so I think he has room to grow even more.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 03:54 PM   #2638
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two of them have come out since his playoffs. In the first series against a weak opponent he had a great round 1. In the second round against a strong opponent he was a non factor. I don't see his value rising above 10 even after the U18 on most lists. Your scout is out to lunch if he thinks Iginla is the second best prospect in this draft and would be on an island there. Not one scout I have seen has Iginla over Demidov nor should they, he is on another level. I'm sorry , not buying what you are selling. If his name was Tij Smith you wouldn't be going off about him the way you are.
Let’s see how this ages.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 04:11 PM   #2639
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thing is these consensus lists always have variation in them and some guys go higher and some guys go lower...especially outside of the top 2 to 3.

Now I think top 4 would be a reach for Tij. But really he could land anywhere between 5 and 12 and I wouldn't be surprised by that and I wouldn't call it a reach.

Really it's Celebrini, and then Demidov (if the Russian factor doesn't drop him) as the guys who have some separation right now.

But then Catton, Levshunov, Lindstrom, Buium, Parekh, Silayev, Dickinson, Iginla, Helenius, Eiserman, and Yakemchuk could all go anywhere between 3 and 13 IMO. And honestly the Russian factor probably brings Demidov into this group as well. Nobody would have thought Michkov would fall to 7 in the year leading up to him being picked either.

Because all of them are pretty strong prospects, and like every draft all it takes is one team to fall in love with a guy and then he goes.

And there could be even more variation than that.

I don't think people thought that Simashev (19), But (22), Danielson (16), and Willander (20) would all go in the top 12 last year, but in the end they did (Bob Mckenzie's final ranking in brackets).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-03-2024 at 04:13 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 04:23 PM   #2640
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

32 different teams, 32 different lists. Especially this season. After Celebrini at 1, there's no real consensus. There's general perceptions of tiers, but no real consensus.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft