Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #5841
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
What happened to the sharks with lasers on their heads?

Sorry, Sharks are still in the playoffs, I will see myself out!
Sounds like abuse of a shark.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #5842
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting to know this girl, everything's going well, making each other laugh, she seems into me. Says she's really interested in quantum physics. Really? Awesome, that's cool, I actually have a sort of layman's interest in it as well, having read Max Tegmark and some other stuff along those lines, it's fun to think about what might be. Getting excited by the prospect of dating someone who has unique and different interests and having some fun conversation topics to get into.

Yeah, so... nope.

Today I learned that pseudo-scientific woo peddlers have appropriated the term "quantum physics" in an effort to lend credibility to their snake oil. Was I the only one who missed this? #### that's irritating. I mean, I don't even mind if these con artists make up their own terms or catchphrases, but quantum physics is an actual field of knowledge and you're polluting it with wish-thinking crap that couldn't be less scientific if it tried.

My jimmies are extremely rustled and I'm bitterly disappointed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #5843
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

She sounds like a quirk-y one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #5844
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Getting to know this girl, everything's going well, making each other laugh, she seems into me. Says she's really interested in quantum physics. Really? Awesome, that's cool, I actually have a sort of layman's interest in it as well, having read Max Tegmark and some other stuff along those lines, it's fun to think about what might be. Getting excited by the prospect of dating someone who has unique and different interests and having some fun conversation topics to get into.

Yeah, so... nope.

Today I learned that pseudo-scientific woo peddlers have appropriated the term "quantum physics" in an effort to lend credibility to their snake oil. Was I the only one who missed this? #### that's irritating. I mean, I don't even mind if these con artists make up their own terms or catchphrases, but quantum physics is an actual field of knowledge and you're polluting it with wish-thinking crap that couldn't be less scientific if it tried.

Was she trying to sell you something or just lying about her interests? Between this and the Florida Tulip mosquitoes, this page of Gear Grinders reads like it was written by AI.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #5845
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Was she trying to sell you something or just lying about her interests?
... Neither? She's just apparently into utter nonsense that sells itself to credulous people as having a basis in science. She's the one who's been lied to. What she thinks is "quantum physics" is actually just meaningless quackery that people who write new-age self-help books try to pass off as profound. And I thought I was going to learn some cool #### and have someone to talk with cool #### about.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 PM   #5846
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
... Neither? She's just apparently into utter nonsense that sells itself to credulous people as having a basis in science. She's the one who's been lied to. What she thinks is "quantum physics" is actually just meaningless quackery that people who write new-age self-help books try to pass off as profound. And I thought I was going to learn some cool #### and have someone to talk with cool #### about.
This is vague. I would like to know what it is that she purports to be interested in, that she calls quantum physics, but isn't. Does she think that astrology is quantum physics or something? Who goes around calling some other field of study quantum physics if it isn't? What is this rant about?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #5847
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
This is vague. I would like to know what it is that she purports to be interested in, that she calls quantum physics, but isn't. Does she think that astrology is quantum physics or something? Who goes around calling some other field of study quantum physics if it isn't? What is this rant about?
I tried to find a website to explain, and helpfully, there is a wikipedia article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mysticism

Quote:
In contrast to the mysticism of the early twentieth century, today quantum mysticism typically refers to its New Age incarnation that combines ancient mysticism with quantum mechanics. Called a pseudoscience and a "hijacking" of quantum physics, it draws upon "coincidental similarities of language rather than genuine connections" to quantum mechanics. Physicist Murray Gell-Mann coined the phrase "quantum flapdoodle" to refer to the misuse and misapplication of quantum physics to other topics.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #5848
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just happy to learn that the term "quantum flapdoodle" has been coined.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #5849
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, so... nope.

http://wisdomofchopra.com

"Greatness shapes infinite abstract beauty"

"A single particle is a modality of unbridled knowledge"

In all seriousness though, some of my best friends and people I love the most are deep into the woo - herbalists, astrology, acupuncture, flat earther.

They have other qualities I respect and appreciate.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:13 AM   #5850
Hes
Eye Guy

Exp:

You just have to add Quantum to a supplement to make it sound like it works.
Hes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #5851
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
http://wisdomofchopra.com

"Greatness shapes infinite abstract beauty"

"A single particle is a modality of unbridled knowledge"
Chopra and that hot garbage "What The Bleep Do We Know?" movie bastardized "Quantum Physics" quite some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #5852
Harry Lime
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shaw apparently has a direct pipeline to sell mining information to Facebook and Amazon. I checked the pricing on a turntable last night on my phone, and this morning every ad on facebook (using my desktop) is about turntables.

Also, who the hell on my network is searching for pingpong results? Every youtube advertisement is about amazing pingpong events.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #5853
Makarov
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Shaw apparently has a direct pipeline to sell mining information to Facebook and Amazon. I checked the pricing on a turntable last night on my phone, and this morning every ad on facebook (using my desktop) is about turntables.

Also, who the hell on my network is searching for pingpong results? Every youtube advertisement is about amazing pingpong events.
Probably Google rather than Shaw, no?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #5854
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, having your Google/Gmail account signed into your browser on Chrome on both mobile/desktop ensures that your searches on one affect advertising on the other, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #5855
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I bet there is no Provincial Wasp Act. Time to build my army!
I think an army of White Anglo-Saxon Protestants might be a hate crime.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 05-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #5856
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think an army of White Anglo-Saxon Protestants might be a hate crime.
Are you calling the United States military a hate crime?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #5857
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Well......I'm not not calling the United States Military a Hate Crime.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:05 PM   #5858
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
At the risk of going OT this would say otherwise. Nearly half the enlisted personnel in the US military are visible minority. No breakdown of the officer corps however.

https://www.cfr.org/article/demographics-us-military
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:15 PM   #5859
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
At the risk of going OT this would say otherwise. Nearly half the enlisted personnel in the US military are visible minority. No breakdown of the officer corps however.

https://www.cfr.org/article/demographics-us-military
Huh what do you know. Looks like I should have used the Canadian military for my half assed joke. *The More You Know Star Streaks Across the Post*

Quote:
A very small proportion of CF personnel were members of visible minorities—only 6% of all CF members (5% of regular forces and 11% of reservists) were visible minorities
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../10657-eng.htm
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #5860
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many people here get eye floaters? I just started getting them a few years ago and quite frankly I hate them. The eye doctor tells me it's normal but over the past 6 months twice I've had something different where one of my eyes has this condition where it looks like water us running down my eye and everything is blurry. Lasts from 5 to 15 minutes and it's kind of disorienting then it just goes away. The first time it happened I freaked out and went immediately to the eye doctor who ran all the tests and my eyes checked out good so this is just some weird thing about getting old. Happened again today and grinds my gears nonetheless.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: