Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #21
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to see we found a way to bash the Flames by the second post in a topic. Similar to the Dougie whispers, what is going on with Gallant falling out of favour so seemingly quick?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #22
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People saying budget are bonkers.. we just hired Muller as an associate and is likely one of the top paid associate coaches in the league. Daryll was also pretty expensive..

NYR is a great place to go right now with a huge future. Doubt this was about the flames having enough cash or not.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #23
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Gallant and think this is a good hire for the Rangers...

Not sure if its a case that he wears on people? As he did a good job in Florida IIRC and the Knights...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:12 PM   #24
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
People saying budget are bonkers.. we just hired Muller as an associate and is likely one of the top paid associate coaches in the league. Daryll was also pretty expensive..

NYR is a great place to go right now with a huge future. Doubt this was about the flames having enough cash or not.
While I agree with you, we can’t argue the Flames cheaped out with basically all their head coach hirings since Sutter was coach the last time.

Playfair, Gulutzen and Peters hadn't proven to be winning head coaches in the NHL, Hartley and Keenan were reclamation projects, Brent probably came cheap to coach close to home and then there was Ward.

Granted maybe Hartley was a bit more expensive after winning the Jack Adams..

Anyways this is a great hire and if we didn’t have a legit coach I would be disappointed we didn’t bring him on.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #25
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought I read somewhere that Hartley was highly paid - well in the top third of the NHL, no? Am I remembering that wrong?

As for Gallant, let's see how he does. He is a strange one to me. Seems to be well-thought of, usually has his teams playing well, but gets fired unceremoniously. Is he really a good coach, or does he find himself in good situations? Will be interesting to see how he does over his contract.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 04:18 PM   #26
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
In his first three coaching stops he's been fired during the 3rd season. Will he make it through three full seasons with the Rangers?
Kind of sound just like Sutter!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #27
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Kind of sound just like Sutter!
Sutter has had 5-6 years each with 4 teams
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #28
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Sutter has had 5-6 years each with 4 teams
He also did this. Twice:

I'm blown away people still doubt the man.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 04:52 PM   #29
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I thought I read somewhere that Hartley was highly paid - well in the top third of the NHL, no? Am I remembering that wrong?

As for Gallant, let's see how he does. He is a strange one to me. Seems to be well-thought of, usually has his teams playing well, but gets fired unceremoniously. Is he really a good coach, or does he find himself in good situations? Will be interesting to see how he does over his contract.
Was that before or after his Jack Adams?

I’m sure he was expensive after but Tre had to re-sign the guy given the circumstances.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savardandjokinen View Post
I was hoping it would be Hartley, that would’ve been cool
I don't think Hartley was ever a serious contender for the Rangers. It was just his Drury connection that got reporters talking.

When the Rangers got permission to talk to Gallant before the WCs, I pretty much figured it was done.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #31
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no problem bringing back Sutter months back, and don't going forward. Without a doubt he was brought in to evaluate the talent and get more work ethic out of the team. He now knows who's a shirk worker and I'm sure he's let the guys above know who he'd like to be moved.

While Gallant would have been good for an extra few years, there's no way he'd have signed here at a discount. Rangers got a good coach and so do the Flames. The players now just need a swift kick to start up again this season.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:06 PM   #32
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Shouts in Arizona Coyote
Howls in Arizona Coyote. Come on man. It was right there.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #33
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Honestly thought he would be the Seattle coach but I'm starting to wonder about Brind'Amour there. Anyway great hire for the Rangers.
Or Boudreau, he's come out and said he wants the job.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames coach has actually won something...twice

Gallant has made the playoffs 3 times in his career
Old 06-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #35
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames coach has actually won something...twice

Gallant has made the playoffs 3 times in his career

Sure, but Gallant has only been a head coach for five full seasons so that 3/5 isn't so bad. Also, he likely would have made the playoffs the two most recent times he was fired, Florida and Vegas both let him go too early.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #36
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gallant has never played or coached for a Canadian team. There are more coaches and players that don't want the fishbowl of Canada and it's media and fans.

They're not going to be vocal about that because then they get mics stuck in their face every time they come to Canada, but it's pretty common.

And, teams and GMs know if coaches are available to them or not. That's how Peters was hired here, he may have had a verbal agreement with the Flames before making his Carolina decision.

Bottom line, Gallant (like Vingeau and Laviolette) had zero desire to come here or any Canadian team no matter how much money you threw at them.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #37
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gallant had every incentive to wait it out to go to a team with a better future than the Flames. People act like unemployed coaches just go to the next team that wants them, but that isn't always the case.

I'm also not sold that their isn't something wrong with him. The way Florida unceremoniously left him holding his #### in the parking lot and Vegas canned him despite overachieving. There seems to be something about the guy that teams don't like.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:08 PM   #38
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Sure, but Gallant has only been a head coach for five full seasons so that 3/5 isn't so bad. Also, he likely would have made the playoffs the two most recent times he was fired, Florida and Vegas both let him go too early.
Says who?

Gallant is a polarising figure because on the one hand he does have a solid coaching record, while on the other hand and in spite of his success he has not managed to hold a HC job for longer than a few seasons.

Who knows why? I continue to think that there is A LOT going on out of the public eye with Gallant that has beleaguered him in each of his NHL stops. I bet he is gone after three years—again.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #39
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Gallant has never played or coached for a Canadian team. There are more coaches and players that don't want the fishbowl of Canada and it's media and fans.

They're not going to be vocal about that because then they get mics stuck in their face every time they come to Canada, but it's pretty common.

And, teams and GMs know if coaches are available to them or not. That's how Peters was hired here, he may have had a verbal agreement with the Flames before making his Carolina decision.

Bottom line, Gallant (like Vingeau and Laviolette) had zero desire to come here or any Canadian team no matter how much money you threw at them.

Canadian Alain Vigneault who has coached 3 teams of which 2 were Canadian (Mtl, Van and NYR) has zero desire to coach in Canada?

I don’t think so

Gallant is also Canadian
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #40
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Says who?

Gallant is a polarising figure because on the one hand he does have a solid coaching record, while on the other hand and in spite of his success he has not managed to hold a HC job for longer than a few seasons.

Who knows why? I continue to think that there is A LOT going on out of the public eye with Gallant that has beleaguered him in each of his NHL stops. I bet he is gone after three years—again.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that. Well, other than that he is signed for 4, I believe

You seen the average tenure in Calgary lately?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: