Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2021, 01:53 AM   #2301
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Read it how you want. A hyperbolic statement can coexist with evidence based opinions. That wasn’t a lengthy post.

It seems to be people here who are bad breaker uppers, ignoring 15 points in 10 games and focusing on 1 penalty in a 4-0 loss

“cost his team games”. Barkov was -8, Sam was even

Lots of things happen in a 60 minute game. Love how laser focused some idiots are on his every move as the root cause of failure
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:13 AM   #2302
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Read it how you want. A hyperbolic statement can coexist with evidence based opinions. That wasn’t a lengthy post.

It seems to be people here who are bad breaker uppers, ignoring 15 points in 10 games and focusing on 1 penalty in a 4-0 loss

Lots of things happen in a 60 minute game. Love how laser focused some idiots are on his every move as the root cause of failure
For a guy trumpeting his plus minus in Florida maybe you could acknowledge his -67 career numbers in Calgary.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:57 AM   #2303
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

So you are surprised that the guy thrown in a bottom 6 blender for years with various scrubs, during his squandered development years, isn’t as good statistically as a guy with steady, quality linemates?

It’s been discussed a million times. And actually is kind of the whole point
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 04:22 AM   #2304
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Flames trade Sam Bennett + 6th to FLA for a 2nd and Emil Heineman (2020 43rd OA pick)

To me, this is the same as Bennett in the past.

Playoff Bennett was excellent. Start and most of season Bennett was not, regardless of linemates or opportunity. Seems to depend on how motivated he is.

IMO, the trade motivated him, and resulted in him being Playoff Bennett for a longer period of time. Good on him to use it as motivation instead of being de-motivated.

Now let’s see if he can continue this at the start of next year, or if it is the same story all over again
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 05:13 AM   #2305
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For as much as people like to harp on every little thing he does, his even +/- in the series seems to look a bit better than Barkov’s -8
I strongly suspect Barkov was playing hurt after about game 1 or 2. They really targeted him physically and there were a couple of dirty plays. Then there was the game where he only took 1 or 2 shifts for an entire period, but was on the bench.

He just didn't look right. Not up to his usual levels of creativity and dominance.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 05:17 AM   #2306
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Bennett plays an aggressive style, it leads to more penalties, but it also adds to his value as a player. One of the biggest fails in my mind was watching coaches like Ward demote, bench and scratch Bennett for taking penalties that resulted from playing aggressive. You could tell it totally messed Bennett up making him tentative, less aggressive and less confident.
In contrast guys like Sutter and Quenneville kept putting him out there, even after he took a penalty. Look at what it's done to Bennett's play and his confidence. I think as he ages, he'll pick his spots better and take less penalties. But that comes from playing time, it comes from experience, it comes from confidence that you're not going to be punished if you make a mistake.
As good as Bennett has been since Sutter took over and he was traded, I think he still has a lot of room to grow. He's going to get even better and even more effective.
I'm going to push back on this narrative because it isn't exactly true, at least under Gulutzan and Peters anyway.

Bennett was demoted for taking lazy stick penalties in the offensive zone. It often resulted from him being behind the player that he was forechecking. Had he taken an extra stride or two, he would be in the position that he needed to be to make an aggressive play, but he didn't, and so he would reach and take a stick infraction. That's not from playing aggressive, quite the opposite actually.

The good news for him is that he figured it out, but it was a semi-regular occurrence for 2 seasons. Those are the kinds of plays that kill momentum and are totally unnecessary. I don't blame the coach at all for demoting him for this types of plays.
Old 05-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #2307
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

And why so Sam sad if he's gone now?
Old 05-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #2308
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm going to push back on this narrative because it isn't exactly true, at least under Gulutzan and Peters anyway.

Bennett was demoted for taking lazy stick penalties in the offensive zone. It often resulted from him being behind the player that he was forechecking. Had he taken an extra stride or two, he would be in the position that he needed to be to make an aggressive play, but he didn't, and so he would reach and take a stick infraction. That's not from playing aggressive, quite the opposite actually.

The good news for him is that he figured it out, but it was a semi-regular occurrence for 2 seasons. Those are the kinds of plays that kill momentum and are totally unnecessary. I don't blame the coach at all for demoting him for this types of plays.
He wasn’t really demoted under Peters, Gulutzan, or Ward.

His “home” position under all of them was 3rd line winger or centre. Sometimes he got promoted for a brief moment to top-6 winger, but it was never for long and it wasn’t always because he took a bad penalty that he got demoted. Under Gully, Bennett had a few good games in a row, and then the Flames claimed Chris Stewart off waivers and instantly knocked Bennett back to his home position on the 3rd line.

Three brain dead coaches who will never hold head coaching jobs in this league again in all likelihood.

The only times Bennett got a role/ice-time worth a damn in Calgary were:

1. Rookie season (Bennett-Backlund-Frolik)
2. 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs (Lucic-Bennett-Dube)
3. Under Darryl Sutter as a 4th line LW that also got PK time.

The guy just needed some consistency in deployment and a role to play that gave him a chance to actually contribute (playing him, or anyone, with Brouwer/Neal/Jankowski is not giving a player an opportunity to contribute).

At the end of the day, Bennett’s performance in his time with Hartley, the 2020 playoffs, and under Sutter and Quennville spell it out, as does Ward/Peters/Gulutzan’s current employment status. Garbage ass coaches ruined Bennett’s time here in Calgary.

Florida will benefit, and hopefully the Flames can get a home run out of the return they got from Florida. I certainly don’t blame Bennett for requesting a trade, nor do I blame Tree for trading him. I wish we could have kept him, as I think the results he’s getting in Florida would have come under Sutter, but the relationship between player and organization was already ruined by three awful head coaches.

Last edited by ComixZone; 05-29-2021 at 10:11 AM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 11:40 AM   #2309
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You call people idiots but are obviously ridiculously biased and make excuses for every negative. The game was 1-0 when he took the dumb penalty in the elimination game. The dumb penalty in game one was even more costly plus the suspension.

Yeah he put up a lot of points over a short period but sample size. You are acting like he is a guaranteed ppg player now. Again Neal was the NHLs leading goal scorer after 15 games. I think it's pretty reasonable to think his end to the regular season was a hot streak and not the new normal for Sam Bennett.

Not sure why you get so defensive about it. I guess if he puts up 82 next season you can say I told you so. My money would be on >50.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-29-2021 at 11:42 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #2310
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You call people idiots but are obviously ridiculously biased and make excuses for every negative. The game was 1-0 when he took the dumb penalty in the elimination game. The dumb penalty in game one was even more costly plus the suspension.

Yeah he put up a lot of points over a short period but sample size. You are acting like he is a guaranteed ppg player now. Again Neal was the NHLs leading goal scorer after 15 games. I think it's pretty reasonable to think his end to the regular season was a hot streak and not the new normal for Sam Bennett.

Not sure why you get so defensive about it. I guess if he puts up 82 next season you can say I told you so. My money would be on >50.

How did Neal play during his time in Calgary? Maybe there is a point to be made that all Bennett needed was the right change and opportunity with some decent line-mates?

ComixZone makes some pretty good points about how Bennett's deployment under average coaches and three winning coaches directly affected his confidence and his play. Those are tangible arguments that at this point are being back with results; So we will just have to wait to see how it plays out. No need to get defensive because someone likes or cheers for Sam Bennett. Nothing wrong with being happy for him. Even if the kid doesn't get 50 points as you suggested he was a Calgary Flame and is playing on a decent team. That in itself is worth cheering for!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #2311
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Oh my. Sam is a scrappy kid but let’s not get carried away.
I happily stand by my statement. There's not many tougher pound-for-pound guys than Sam Bennett. Over the course of his career, at 6'1" 195lbs, he's fought:

- Evander Kane (6'2" 210lbs)
- Ryan Johansen (6'3" 218lbs)
- Jacob Trouba (6'3" 209lbs)
- Josh Manson (6'3" 224lbs)
- Ian Cole (6'1" 225lbs)
- Darnell Nurse (6'4" 221lbs)
- Ryan Suter (6'1" 208lbs)
- Barclay Goodrow (6'2" 215lbs)

Won all those fights handily.

If you go by hockeyfights record (where fans vote on the fight's winner), Bennett has won 10 out of 12 of his career fights (lost his first fight against Vlasic and last one (as a Flames) against Khaira)

Sam Bennett is a tough son of a gun.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 01:51 PM   #2312
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
How did Neal play during his time in Calgary? Maybe there is a point to be made that all Bennett needed was the right change and opportunity with some decent line-mates?

ComixZone makes some pretty good points about how Bennett's deployment under average coaches and three winning coaches directly affected his confidence and his play. Those are tangible arguments that at this point are being back with results; So we will just have to wait to see how it plays out. No need to get defensive because someone likes or cheers for Sam Bennett. Nothing wrong with being happy for him. Even if the kid doesn't get 50 points as you suggested he was a Calgary Flame and is playing on a decent team. That in itself is worth cheering for!
We didn't have any of those...we had two winners...and...

Average implies at a minimum top 10-20 in the NHL. None of the 3 would qualify...
Old 05-29-2021, 05:54 PM   #2313
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

How much greater than 50 do you think he will get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #2314
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Takes a lot more muscles to frown than it does to smile! Hard not to smile about Sam Bennett.

He is being trusted and playing in all situations, he is only going to keep getting better. Florida got a lot more out of Sam in a short time than the Flames did over the long haul.

It has been fun watch him play for the Panthers. Hopefully the trade pays off for the Flames.
Lightning fans are smiling from ear to ear because of Bennett for another 10-12 days. lol
Old 05-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #2315
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Lightning fans are smiling from ear to ear because of Bennett for another 10-12 days. lol

Let them smile, I don't see why they wouldn't. Bet the Jets are smiling because of McDavid. Sometimes it is easy to look for stuff to support a specific narrative, but won't stop me from cheering for the player. Nice try though.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:09 PM   #2316
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His next contract is going to make him Sam Pisani.

But good on him for getting paid! Played just enough to get paid.
Quote:
Just like you Bennett apologists who think 20 games on a new team and that he isn't "Classic Sam Bennett" lol

"couple a bad penalties" cost them 2 games in a 6 game series...
He took 3 penalties in the series, not counting an offsetting roughing penalty, and Tampa scored on all 3 of them.
Quote:
Go visit that Lightning/Panthers series thread. You can substitute McDavid for Bennett in some of those posts and it sounds like Stang in an E=NG thread. The excuses were sickening.
Quote:
haha. It was serious business for some folks in there! Cheering is one thing. Oiler-level Conman McBennett loving is a whole new level. But i guess if you can't see the difference... I mean we are talking about 20 games here right?

I'm pretty sure I've been taking a break from the NHL for a very long time now...

I mean I don't blame Bennett. He is going to get payeddddd!
Quote:
No offense intended, but you've got problems dude. Nothing but negativity and aggression. Sort it out before it's too late.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 09:18 PM   #2317
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
No offense intended, but you've got problems dude. Nothing but negativity and aggression. Sort it out before it's too late.
Hmm negativity sure. Aggressive? Well I guess if i can put up with Hrudey and Cassie over praising McJesus, I should be able to handle the McBennett loving.

I made over $2k on the series so I'm very very happy Bennett is a Panther.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #2318
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1429242297716183043
Old 08-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #2319
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Interesting release.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #2320
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure would be nice if this kid turned out to be an NHLer even if it's a 3rd line role.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote