Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #3961
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Craig really made statements that come to that conclusion, it would explain why the Flames have such a bad record of utilizing pro scouting.

We already know they only have one North American pro scout. And now it looks like they hardly use the assistant GMs either.

Whatever the reason, the Flames really need to improve professional talent evaluation in some manner.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 10:48 AM   #3962
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I just listened myself, and Craig basically said that under Burke the assistants were allowed to reach out on their own to people on other teams to see what was available and talk deals, but with Treliving there is none of that. Everything goes through him, and then he tells the assistants what is going on and what is going to happen. Definitely felt like he doesn't even solicit opinions from the assistants.

Craig kind of brushed it off... but why even have assistants if you're not going to get opinions on things. I dunno, I definitely didn't like the sound of it. I've been on the fire Treliving bandwagon longer than almost anyone, so that might be colouring my opinion of it.

There is zero chance any GM should want his assistants poking around to see what was available and talk deals. In fact, any that did should be fired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 10:48 AM   #3963
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by dissentowner; 06-15-2021 at 11:13 AM.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #3964
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I see it as a concern for sure ... that's not utilizing talent. Hopefully there is more to the story than the interview lets on.

Personally I get it in not wanting your assistants calling around, etc ... there is a such a feel to creating need etc that you don't want different voices out there with different presentations of what you're trying to do ... maybe even more so with the way that Conroy yammers, something you can hear in this interview.

But having a war room with the one guy taking calls makes a lot more sense than having your staff in the dark.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #3965
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I see it as a concern for sure ... that's not utilizing talent. Hopefully there is more to the story than the interview lets on.

Personally I get it in not wanting your assistants calling around, etc ... there is a such a feel to creating need etc that you don't want different voices out there with different presentations of what you're trying to do ... maybe even more so with the way that Conroy yammers, something you can hear in this interview.

But having a war room with the one guy taking calls makes a lot more sense than having your staff in the dark.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 10:52 AM   #3966
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Brad doesn’t want a blabbermouth who says whatever’s on his mind at the negotiating table. Think Sonny in The Godfather, at the meeting with the Turk.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #3967
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
If Craig really made statements that come to that conclusion, it would explain why the Flames have such a bad record of utilizing pro scouting.

We already know they only have one North American pro scout. And now it looks like they hardly use the assistant GMs either.

Whatever the reason, the Flames really need to improve professional talent evaluation in some manner.
I don't think it has anything to do with scouting, I imagine BT relies on them like any GM. I think what Craig is saying is when it comes to trade offers or deals to be made Brad makes all the calls and doesn't run those deals for feedback through the rest of his staff. So Conroy has nothing to do when it comes to trades.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #3968
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus if Conny felt slighted by this in any way, he'd have jumped ship already. I'm sure it's a nit pick but not serious enough for Conroy to leave and say that guys an idiot.

It is odd though to not have any potential new Intel to work with. If you're not maximizing all the tools at your disposal, you've got tunnel vision and can get lost pretty quickly.

Who knows, feels more like searching for nails on the ground for Trelivings coffin from the fanbase at this point though.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-15-2021 at 12:07 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #3969
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Plus if Conny felt slighted by this in any way, he'd have jumped ship already. I'm sure it's a nit pick but not serious enough for Conroy to leave and say that guys an idiot.

It is odd though to not have any potential new Intel to work with. If you're motivated maximizing all the tools at your disposal, you've got tunnel vision and can get lost pretty quickly.

Who knows, feels more like searching for nails on the ground for Treliv8ngs coffin from the fanbase at this point though.
Nobody was suggesting Conroy felt slighted, it was just an eye opener that Tre does not utilize his staff when it comes to negotiations.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:54 AM   #3970
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a brad fan, but don't read too much into this. I have no real idea how a well run hockey management group RACI matrix looks like, and how the roles/responsibilities are distributed. So how does this compare to a Tampa bay? A Las Vegas? A Colorado?

I sure as hell don't know. I am in no real position to judge Treliving in this regard, I draw my conclusions of the gm directly from the on ice results over his 7+ year tenure.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 11:58 AM   #3971
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone remind me what Don Maloney does for this organization? This organization sure its top heavy considering one man is making the decisions.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #3972
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I just listened myself, and Craig basically said that under Burke the assistants were allowed to reach out on their own to people on other teams to see what was available and talk deals, but with Treliving there is none of that. Everything goes through him, and then he tells the assistants what is going on and what is going to happen. Definitely felt like he doesn't even solicit opinions from the assistants.

Craig kind of brushed it off... but why even have assistants if you're not going to get opinions on things. I dunno, I definitely didn't like the sound of it. I've been on the fire Treliving bandwagon longer than almost anyone, so that might be colouring my opinion of it.

If the discussion topic of the moment was about possible trade deals, I think it’s very reasonable for a GM to want to be the initiator of the “process”. This sounds more like Burke spreading the work around because he was not brought here to be the GM - his job was to evaluate the organization, bring in a new GM if one was needed, and if Feaster had to go, help the new person (Treliving) get established.

I don’t see a problem with what Conroy was saying.
Steve Bozek is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #3973
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can someone remind me what Don Maloney does for this organization? This organization sure its top heavy considering one man is making the decisions.
Least favorite hire for the Flames.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #3974
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Perpetuates the infinite loop of the NHL old boys club circle jerk.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #3975
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They keep promoting people instead of firing them, so there are all sorts of bodies kicking around. I think of the scenes in Goodfellas or Sopranos when everybody is just hanging around at the deli, sipping espressos.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #3976
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Well Conroy only spoke to the trade decision making, not all decisions.

Hear lots about scouting from Conroy, and Pascal running the farm team completely.

I don't think it's fair to lump all of this into the dictator category.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:35 PM   #3977
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish we could have a couple good pro scouts, who constantly look all young players from all teams that can become useful player for our team.
Some teams didn't know what player they had until LV got the player from expansion draft. If we had some pro scout who could explore other teams like LV scouts when they started.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #3978
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well Conroy only spoke to the trade decision making, not all decisions.

Hear lots about scouting from Conroy, and Pascal running the farm team completely.

I don't think it's fair to lump all of this into the dictator category.
I never said he was a dictator. It just feels like the Flames are pretty top heavy for an organization that allegedly doesn't like to pay for head coaches. As for trade decision making it's possible Treliving does this on purpose to prevent leaks to the media which I don't think is a bad thing.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #3979
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
I never said he was a dictator. It just feels like the Flames are pretty top heavy for an organization that allegedly doesn't like to pay for head coaches. As for trade decision making it's possible Treliving does this on purpose to prevent leaks to the media which I don't think is a bad thing.

Seems that with player and agent parties involved, it shouldn’t be inside he worries about as a primary source of leaks

It’s in Chapter 3 in the GM handbook, Leaks and the Leaky Leakers who Leak them
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #3980
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
No you said one man is making the decision which is a dictatorship isn't it?

Pointed out that's not really the case.

Plus I'm not sure the "won't pay coaches" thing still works with Sutter done midseason during a pandemic is it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: