Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #2881
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I read an article that said A Clockwork Orange was banned in Alberta from release until 1999. Just curious if people on here remember that, like was it just not allowed in theatres or could you not even own the VHS/DVD before 99? That seems wild to me that a film of that magnitude and importance would be banned here.
I know I rented it before 1999. Where did you hear this? Sounds dubious.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #2882
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theatrical maybe.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #2883
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I read an article that said A Clockwork Orange was banned in Alberta from release until 1999. Just curious if people on here remember that, like was it just not allowed in theatres or could you not even own the VHS/DVD before 99? That seems wild to me that a film of that magnitude and importance would be banned here.
Absolutely not true. I was working at a pizza place in '97 and ACO was one of the movies we rented and watched while us delivery guys waited for an order.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #2884
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I think the Mortal Kombat movie was supposed to be a setup for more of them rather than a standalone film.

Was somewhat entertaining, but I think the 1995 one was a lot better, but maybe that's just nostalgia, maybe I need to rewatch it.
The main guy is signed on for like 900 sequels or something.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:40 PM   #2885
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another one is Heavy Traffic by Ralph Bakshi. There is a wikipedia article with a list but here are the articles that talk about it:

https://hnmag.ca/todays-top-stories/...ned-in-canada/

http://www.mnialive.com/articles/for...nned-in-canada

Found one more article from The Edmonton Journal about it:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/e...81513634106989

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 05-03-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 12:47 PM   #2886
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watched The Father with Anthony Hopkins. Creatively done, incredible acting, and hit home with my own dad suffering severe memory loss.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 03:18 PM   #2887
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Never seen FUBAR? Now's a good time as Terry uploaded it to YouTube.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 10:35 AM   #2888
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just swinging by to drop a recommendation for The Mitchell’s vs the Machines on Netflix, especially if you have kids. Incredible animation and art design, and a great feel-good story with decent humour and action. Sony Picture Animation really stepped up to the big leagues the last few years.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #2889
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Never seen FUBAR? Now's a good time as Terry uploaded it to YouTube.

19th anniversary of the release of this fine film! I remember going to the main premier at Chinook, was all I had hoped it would be and more!
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 12:06 AM   #2890
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

“You’ll hunt me. You’ll condemn me. Set the dogs on me. Because that’s what needs to happen. Because sometimes, truth isn’t good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.”

I recommend everyone watch the Dark Knight again. And if you haven’t seen it, holy ####. Definitely go watch it then.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:23 AM   #2891
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re-watched "The VVitch" (spelled that way) from 2015, aka "The Witch, A New England Folktale", and that movie is really growing on me, to the point where it might actually be one of my absolute favorite horror films right now. Such a unique film, dripping with atmosphere, and no weak links in the cast, including Anya Taylor-Joy of Queens' Gambit fame in her first film role.

I would highly recommend checking this out, it's a real gem.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #2892
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odd Man Rush on Crave. A hockey movie. Very entertaining. An American player who is playing in very minor leagues in Europe.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #2893
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mitchells vs the Machines wasn’t bad. Animation style was pretty good and a couple of lol moments. I’d describe it as Big Hero with some nostalgia thrown in.

I don’t think Danny McBride’s voice really matched how his character was drawn. He looked like Big Lebowski John Goodman. It would have made more sense to cast John Goodman, or make the character look a little more like McBride. Maybe it only bugged me because I know what all of the voice actors really look like, so there is a bit of an expectation there.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #2894
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fiiinally got a chance to watch Star Trek: Beyond.

Fell asleep at the beginning on my first attempt a while back.

It looked from afar like a cheap, phoned in third installment, but I liked it quite a bit. Action heavy, retains the chemistry between characters and neat visuals free of Abrams peppering of lens flare. Stakes felt high which added to the enjoyment.

Now I'm craving more installments with this crew/cast. Even though they had their flaws, they really balanced the action and intellectual/science aspects impressively well with these movies.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #2895
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Re-watched "The VVitch" (spelled that way) from 2015, aka "The Witch, A New England Folktale", and that movie is really growing on me, to the point where it might actually be one of my absolute favorite horror films right now. Such a unique film, dripping with atmosphere, and no weak links in the cast, including Anya Taylor-Joy of Queens' Gambit fame in her first film role.

I would highly recommend checking this out, it's a real gem.
It's great.

I just can never stop laughing at the crow pecking scene.

Fun fact: Black Phillip has his own bobblehead from Hot Topic and he appears in another horror film that came out a year after The VVitch.. I forget the name of it now. But basically, the Black Phillipverse is a thing.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:18 PM   #2896
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

It looked from afar like a cheap, phoned in third installment, but I liked it quite a bit. Action heavy, retains the chemistry between characters and neat visuals free of Abrams peppering of lens flare. Stakes felt high which added to the enjoyment.

Now I'm craving more installments with this crew/cast. Even though they had their flaws, they really balanced the action and intellectual/science aspects impressively well with these movies.
I feel like I didn't watch the same movies as you...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #2897
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember the moment I turned Star Trek Beyond off - when they beamed Kirk into the enemy camp on a motorcycle, I remember saying out loud “this isn’t for me” and that was that.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 05-08-2021 at 08:35 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 02:51 PM   #2898
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I enjoyed that one as well. It doesn't sound like we're gonna get another film with that cast though, as the 4th movie has been stuck in development hell for a couple of years now.

Apparently there's a Trek movie slated for release in 2023 which JJ Abrams is producing, but so far it sounds like it might be an entirely new story with different characters.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #2899
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I remember the moment I turned Star Trek Beyond - when they beamed Kirk into the enemy camp on a motorcycle, I remember saying out loud “this isn’t for me” and that was that.
The director Justin Lin also did work on the Fast & Furious series, which is in part why I didn't opt to watch the movie in theatres. I thought things might get too goofy, even for ST.

The motorcycle leap through the air beam up stunt felt straight out of F&F, but was probably the worst/cringiest moment and it was pretty brief.

The replication/illusion thing was kind of fun. I think what the movie did well was take things in a fun direction while never stepping too far off the edge into pure cringe.

They nailed the cast though and that helps these films the most IMO.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #2900
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I enjoyed that one as well. It doesn't sound like we're gonna get another film with that cast though, as the 4th movie has been stuck in development hell for a couple of years now.

Apparently there's a Trek movie slated for release in 2023 which JJ Abrams is producing, but so far it sounds like it might be an entirely new story with different characters.
That's too bad. I need more of Pegg's Scotty and his friend.

I wonder if maybe the new one could also be connected to either of the two shows running currently. Hopefully not, given the mixed reviews. Although there's always connections and references in them I guess.