Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #1761
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hatty!

Time to exorcise some demons against Haiti
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #1762
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Terry Dunfield aka the only Canadian to ask to leave Man City. Can't say Cavalry to save his life either...
Between these two, this is my most hated commentary team. I don’t just mean on OneSoccer, I mean in life. They’re horrible.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #1763
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada will really have to be weary of Haiti's hold up play next round...

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #1764
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #1765
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #1766
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it looks like leg 1 will be on Saturday, June 12 in Port-au-Prince, and leg 2 will be on Tuesday, June 15 in Chicago. Kickoff times TBD.

Good performance yesterday. Some shaky moments, but I don't feel that it was ever in much doubt. Especially once Davies and David got into gear. It will be really interesting to see how they perform after travelling to Haiti. It will be a good mental test - the pandemic isn't over, and Haiti is "very Concacaf" and different from Canada/Chicago in almost every way. Bring it on!
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #1767
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

And here are the Haiti highlights, this is where Canada is going on Saturday. No fans which is good but that monsoon in the 2nd half!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:55 AM   #1768
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phonzie wow. That young man is going to take us to the World Cup.

John David taking the next step too.

Croatia is declining and Canada is soaring. Works for me
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:02 AM   #1769
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
And here are the Haiti highlights, this is where Canada is going on Saturday. No fans which is good but that monsoon in the 2nd half!
If offered the Haitian French feed over Gareth Wheeler, I'd take it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 09:03 AM   #1770
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_F...tion_(CONCACAF)

I don't understand the second round: "The second round will see the six group winners from the first round playing in three home-and-away ties of predetermined pairings. The winners will advance to the third round."

Last edited by troutman; 06-09-2021 at 09:27 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #1771
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

I don't understand the second round: "The second round will see the six group winners from the first round playing in three home-and-away ties of predetermined pairings. The winners will advance to the third round."
The wording is a bit awkward, but don't overthink it. From a Canadian perspective: win the upcoming 2 legged series vs. Haiti and we advance to the third round.

Once you're in the the third round, anything could happen. Which is why yesterday was huge and the Haiti matches are massive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #1772
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
If offered the Haitian French feed over Gareth Wheeler, I'd take it.

Every time he says, "Attention." it means, "Oh ####".

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #1773
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Second round, consisted of the bottom 30 of the 35, CONCACAF nations.
The top, 5 qualified (2020 FIFA Rankings) already for the third round;
USA, Costa Rica, Mexico, Honduras, & Jamaica.

Of the 30 in the second round, they were assigned into 6 groups of 5.
Finish first in your group of 5, and you qualify for second round.

The 6 group winners, then pair off into home & away legs, to identify third round final entrants. This is where Canada currently is with Haiti.

There will then be 3 entrants added to the existing 5, to create a group of 8. This group of 8, then plays each other home and away, (7x2) 14 games to;
Identify the top 3 teams in standings. Those 3 qualify for 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

4th place, is entered into a tie with one of the other wild cards from either Asia, South America or Oceania. Oceania would be preferable. Win that leg, and you’re off to Qatar. This is how I see Canada qualifying, as top 3 CONCACAF likely to be; Mexico, USA, Costa Rica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_F...tion_play-offs)
Old 06-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #1774
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I’ll add.

These upcoming pair of matches with Haiti, are the biggest for Canada in 30 years. Absolutely must win, so we can find out what we got in those 14 matches in the third round.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:29 PM   #1775
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Canada is going to win easily, and this is coming from a long time CMNT fan with all kinds of pessimism. The only wildcard is having to go to Haiti, which frankly concacaf or fifa should step in and ban but won't because they are so mickey mouse. I read that their field is astroturf with no proper drainage and it turned into a lake in a recent game which they insisted needed to go on.

Force majeure is basically the only way they are in this series, they don't have half the talent of Suriname and their backline talent level is a major drop off, basically one french second div player and a bunch of lower league players from cyprus, kazahkstan and denmark and not from even the better clubs there.

I mean, it's a step up from caymans as these are all pros but they have losses to El Salvador and Curacao recently which tells you a lot. They basically are a team that gets a good result against a bigger team once in a while on graft but the two legs really reduce canada's risk here and our offence will cut them.

Anyway that's as positive as I get with the CMNT... bring em on
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #1776
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

To add to that, with this being a two legged tie if Canada collapses during the first leg like they did in the Gold Cup, they have a second leg to right the ship.

Canada are just far and away the better team in this tie, and they should go on easily. I don't think they qualify for the World Cup, but they won't finish 8th in the group either.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #1777
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
To add to that, with this being a two legged tie if Canada collapses during the first leg like they did in the Gold Cup, they have a second leg to right the ship.

Canada are just far and away the better team in this tie, and they should go on easily. I don't think they qualify for the World Cup, but they won't finish 8th in the group either.

If they finish 4th and play Oceania, we're the favourites.
South America or Asia though? We're in trouble.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #1778
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gotta get by Haiti, sports can be crazy in terms of luck and breaks, but if they do make the ocho I think they can win any game they play and I'd expect them to finish 3-5.

Jamaica has loaded up with real good plastic nationals and Panama still has a lot of players who've been picked up by clubs out of country, but Canada should beat the other 3 on paper.

CR is at a low ebb compared to their teams of the past just 5 MLS players and 3 or 4 others abroad, El Salvador is a weak side, Honduras has a good attack but is mostly domestic players everywhere else and have also really declined from their peak.

Total guesswork CONCACAF being what it is where a ref from Turks and Caicos could show up and hand out 3 red cards in 10 minutes, or your bus could get jacked on the way to an away match but I see them fencing with Panama and Jamaica for the final spot and the qualifier.

For me Jamaica are the wildcard, they get on a roll and they can be so good with that roster, but always seem to fall apart easily once adversity kicks in.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #1779
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

In those Haiti/Nicaragua highlights, the Haitians looked fairly quick and like to counterattack, but perhaps lacked overall skill and organization. I think that if Canada plays patient, disciplined, and defensively smart, Haiti will be no match for Canada's attack.

Concacaf variables aside, I'd be over the moon with even a close win in Port-au-Prince with a couple of away goals in the bank.
Old 06-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #1780
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Also, I’ll add.

These upcoming pair of matches with Haiti, are the biggest for Canada in 30 years. Absolutely must win, so we can find out what we got in those 14 matches in the third round.
I'll disagree. They won the second round easily and then had a win (or draw) and in to get to a similar final group in 2012 for 2014, and lost in spectacular fashion to Honduras.

This one being a two stager, and, a short turnaround after yesterday is helpful, less time for them to overthink the situation and put unnecessary pressure on themselves.

If they can get the result, I think the pressure is off of the team collectively and you'll see them challenge for that last spot and at least get into the qualifier.
Again, I think anything short of a World Cup berth is disappointing even if that's unreasonable, but they need to learn how to win when it matters, consistentently, and being already deemed to participate in 2026 doesn't help that mentality in the next 4 years or even 8 years.

Last edited by browna; 06-09-2021 at 06:50 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote