Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #801
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That Chichairto finish.. even though offside is something Canada cant do

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #802
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Frustrating to see what Henry is doing. He seems lost out there. He and de Jong are night and day in the fullback position. Arfield is waiting for his fullback to join him deep in the Mexican third and Henry is no where to be seen. When he does show up, he kicks the ball out.
Henry is playing out of position, no? He's a centre back. That said, he has issues with some of the basics of ball control and 10 yard passes it appears, no excuse no matter out of position or not.

The whole team has some terrible passes, terrible touches....unforced errors most of them.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #803
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has no real bearing on the outcome, but this officiating is perplexing. That is enough to draw a yellow, but the Mexican player throwing the ball away isn't? A lot of chippy plays each way with no foul. Just weird.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #804
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

We really need a right back
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #805
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm fearful of what will happen in Mexico.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #806
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I'm fearful of what will happen in Mexico.
I was just thinking the same. 3-0 when it could easily be 5-6 isn't good for their confidence I would guess.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #807
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last WCQ for 2014 I was on record saying if Canada got through to the Hex, somehow they'd have a run of magic and make the WC.

If this team gets through to the Hex they are going to get slaughtered. No finishing, no general in charge of the midfield, or at the back. At least the 2014 WC team had players that took charge...deRosario, McKenna to name two.

Mexico's a good team but it hasn't been close; even if Canada got one in the first half as they should've, Mexico would still be up by three.
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #808
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #809
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Henry is playing out of position, no? He's a centre back. That said, he has issues with some of the basics of ball control and 10 yard passes it appears, no excuse no matter out of position or not.
He is, but I'm with you, he's been nothing short of awful. The basics of defending are totally lost on him.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:44 PM   #810
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I was just thinking the same. 3-0 when it could easily be 5-6 isn't good for their confidence I would guess.
Nah, doesn't matter. Wileman and Devos were talking about those sitting on a yellow should take another tonight so that they sit Tuesday, but means then that they are in for the next two games after that which are much more important than Tuesday...especially after the other draw tonight.

With a multimonth break for qualifying after Tuesday, they'll forget all about getting drubbed these two games, as its somewhat, sadly, expected.

In the fall, they'll want a draw in Honduras (heard that before) and beat ES back here....they'll probably get the draw and then somehow not get the win at home. But again, if they put a couple good games in the Fall, games against Mexico, the US, Jamaica, T&T and whoever else, will be really tough.

Last edited by browna; 03-25-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 PM   #811
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
He is, but I'm with you, he's been nothing short of awful. The basics of defending are totally lost on him.
I don't agree. Henry will be a very decent CB, but a RB he is not. Fullback is such a hard position to play in the first place, but it's even more difficult for a guy whose instincts always pull him central.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #812
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Larin really our best attcking option? It seems like he doesn't understand what is happening around him.

I like Arfield, hopefully he features more and more in the coming games
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 09:49 PM   #813
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I don't agree. Henry will be a very decent CB, but a RB he is not. Fullback is such a hard position to play in the first place, but it's even more difficult for a guy whose instincts always pull him central.
Which begs the question why he was put there in the first place. Probably will be Fraser Aird's spot down the road, but it's a moot point at the moment.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:51 PM   #814
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Well then why is he on the field? This isn't Sunday kickaround.

Now look at his giveaway on that last one that went off the crossbar. A tepid pass right onto the Mexican foot. CB/RB/LB/MF/ST, doesn't matter, that's pure hot garbage and there's nothing to justify making a pass like that...it's the most glaring of 5 terrible plays this half.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 PM   #815
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Now look at his giveaway on that last one that went off the crossbar. A tepid pass right onto the Mexican foot. CB/RB/LB/MF/ST, doesn't matter, that's pure hot garbage and there's nothing to justify making a pass like that...it's the most glaring of 5 terrible plays this half.
Canada is completely devoid of RBs. It's like a black hole. Ledgerwood is probably the other option and he's playing for ####ing Edmonton, or Ouimette who is also not a natural RB alot like Henry. Aird is a hopeful but he has looked not great in MLS.

Outside of that lots of strange tactical choices. Jakovic-Straith CB pairing was incredibly bad. Hopefully Edgar and Vittoria were injured.

Starting Ricketts over Arfield/Akindele was borderline ridiculous. JDG is clearly in his last days as a player.

Still all in, amazing crowd for soccer in Canada, great result on the OOT, still alive.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:02 PM   #816
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's a mistake to play him there, but we don't have any decent alternatives. Anybody we put there will be underwhelming. Henry gets put there because he's a right footed defender with decent enough speed, and should be better defensively then the other options.

I'd rather see them give one of the young fullbacks a chance rather then play Henry there, even though I think Henry is a good player.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #817
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only way this changes is with a professional league.

Our whole youth club soccer system is not structured for the proper development of future professional soccer players by world standards. We need more professional clubs with youth academies to train future pros the proper way.

Having said that, Canada was horrible tonight. Just shell shocked. No excuses. It has to be better.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 PM   #818
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by browna; 03-26-2016 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:30 AM   #819
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that was an absolutely crushing loss. Almost worse than 8'1 in Honduras.

Welp, who's up for watching the Tuesday leg? Can't get any worse right?

Old 03-26-2016, 02:31 AM   #820
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
The only way this changes is with a professional league.

Our whole youth club soccer system is not structured for the proper development of future professional soccer players by world standards. We need more professional clubs with youth academies to train future pros the proper way.

Having said that, Canada was horrible tonight. Just shell shocked. No excuses. It has to be better.
We need our own league. That is the be all and end all in my mind