Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Canadian Alain Vigneault who has coached 3 teams of which 2 were Canadian (Mtl, Van and NYR) has zero desire to coach in Canada?

I don’t think so

Gallant is also Canadian
One was his first gig, so naturally he took it, and the second was after he’d been fired and spent a couple years coaching minor hockey, so naturally he took it.

Possibly his experience soured him on Canadian teams. I mean, fired a couple years after making the finals, and posting good regular seasons.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #42
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Gallant had every incentive to wait it out to go to a team with a better future than the Flames. People act like unemployed coaches just go to the next team that wants them, but that isn't always the case.

I'm also not sold that their isn't something wrong with him. The way Florida unceremoniously left him holding his #### in the parking lot and Vegas canned him despite overachieving. There seems to be something about the guy that teams don't like.

Sometimes it's hard to live a proper life looking like Dr. Lecter.

Spoiler!
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #43
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Sure, but Gallant has only been a head coach for five full seasons so that 3/5 isn't so bad. Also, he likely would have made the playoffs the two most recent times he was fired, Florida and Vegas both let him go too early.
Because he was fired the other times lol
Old 06-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #44
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Because he was fired the other times lol

Yea, despite having a good record in the seasons he was fired. Maybe there's something else going on behind the scenes, but you can't deny he's really good at getting the most out of his teams.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:06 PM   #45
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
One was his first gig, so naturally he took it, and the second was after he’d been fired and spent a couple years coaching minor hockey, so naturally he took it.

Possibly his experience soured him on Canadian teams. I mean, fired a couple years after making the finals, and posting good regular seasons.

Dude, sounds like a pretty desperate attempt to fill out a narrative

There are 31, to be 32 jobs in the best league in the world. Only a handful ever come available

Of all guys, we are trying to say a guy who coached 2 out of 3 refuses to coach in Canada because of the Flames inferiority complex?

Jeez. Not everything revolves around the Flames being ####
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:28 PM   #46
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Yea, despite having a good record in the seasons he was fired. Maybe there's something else going on behind the scenes, but you can't deny he's really good at getting the most out of his teams.
IDK he is alright...I was more pushing back at the usual shots at the Flames on every single signing, trade, hiring, ect.

our coach has 2 rings

2>0
Old 06-14-2021, 11:32 PM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I am tired of the no one wants to come here narrative. It’s become a very lazy argument that is used way too much when there is no support.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 06:47 AM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you listen to Gallant's interviews you get the feeling he would have taken any job offered. Did the Flames even interview him? He doesn't fit the mold of what Treliving looks for as he's not a terrible head coach.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #49
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
IDK he is alright...I was more pushing back at the usual shots at the Flames on every single signing, trade, hiring, ect.

our coach has 2 rings

2>0
Kevin Lowe has more rings, and he knows a thing or two about winning. Having success a decade or more ago is irrelevant. What you hove done lately is all that matters. Also, can you coach different teams and different types of talent? I'm still not sure Sutter can do that, and except for that last four game set against Vancouver, the results from this season were worse than Ward's. I can respect Sutter's accomplishments from the past, and the success he had in LA, but I can also see the style his teams play, the make up of the teams, and immediately see they are incongruent with the current roster of the Calgary Flames. Wrong coach for this team, unless they want to remake the entire team.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:06 AM   #50
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are 31, to be 32 jobs in the best league in the world. Only a handful ever come available

Of all guys, we are trying to say a guy who coached 2 out of 3 refuses to coach in Canada because of the Flames inferiority complex?

Jeez. Not everything revolves around the Flames being ####
First, it’s 2 out of 4 NHL jobs. Second, he hasn’t coached in Canada for 8 years. Third, I’m talking about options, and QMHL coach Vigneault in 1992 and 1997 has different options than seasoned NHL coach Vigneault in 2013 and, especially, 2019. Fourth, after he was done in NY in 2018, he missed an entire season. You telling me no one offered him a job until he was hired by Philly in April 2019? The Caps, Stars, Canes, Panthers, Kings, Oilers, Hawks, etc just didn’t call? Or maybe he decided he could pick and choose a job this time around.

Eg: https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...e-stanley-cup/

“I wouldn’t have come back to any team. I wanted to go somewhere where I felt I really had a chance to win in the short term. We’re going to make a push for me. I’m missing that Stanley Cup,” he said.

Last edited by GioforPM; 06-15-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:09 AM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah I am tired of the no one wants to come here narrative. It’s become a very lazy argument that is used way too much when there is no support.
Well, there’s some support:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...g_in_canadian/

Also:

“Interestingly, he said coaching in Canada was like coaching the New York Yankees — if New York had the Yankees alone. No Mets, Knicks, Nets, Jets, Giants and Rangers. In Vancouver Vigneault was known everywhere. In New York, they know him at the rink. And that makes coaching easier.”

https://vancouversun.com/sports/canu...lla-with-video

Last edited by GioforPM; 06-15-2021 at 07:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #52
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1404808242748968967

Seems like a reasonable price tag.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:50 AM   #53
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

How long before he's left on the curb at Times Square?
Old 06-15-2021, 09:57 AM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL

I read this after reading your Treliving comments in the Muller thread. Too funny.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

43.5M sounds reasonably cheap (for recent standards), but he got that key 4th year (which he probably never serves), so it's a solid payday for him.

Coaches likely aren't as concerned with the annual rate as they are with the total contract, and he is getting $14M
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:01 AM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1404808242748968967

Seems like a reasonable price tag.
Maybe a tad less per year in exchange for one more year than standard. Longer contract = less chance of being fired and more protection if you are. And Gallant has experience there.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #57
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is true. Given the history of him getting the boot in year three, a fourth year was probably his biggest ask.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #58
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
LOL

I read this after reading your Treliving comments in the Muller thread. Too funny.
Me too!
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #59
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
LOL

That’s nice, I suppose, that you are so interested

I just said I was tired of Treliving

If you think that’s funny, there is a whole thread dedicated to the idea that Tre needs to go
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #60
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Well, there’s some support:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...g_in_canadian/

Also:

“Interestingly, he said coaching in Canada was like coaching the New York Yankees — if New York had the Yankees alone. No Mets, Knicks, Nets, Jets, Giants and Rangers. In Vancouver Vigneault was known everywhere. In New York, they know him at the rink. And that makes coaching easier.”

https://vancouversun.com/sports/canu...lla-with-video
He's become a top tier coach. I'd wager his preference has more to do with winning, which is simply a tougher proposition in Canada (due largely to accelerated rebuilds). NYR and PHI aren't exactly cupcake markets...they may not be fishbowls, but still plenty of scrutiny.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote