Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2021, 04:32 PM   #601
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
At some point, similar to F1, that speed is just too dangerous to keep going, and they're going to have to put some sort of limiter on it. You already have dbags constantly ripping down Deerfoot at dangerous speeds overestimating their driving abilities. Can you imagine if every Joe Blow has that type of speed in their family sedan. I'd predict a lot fatalities. I guess that's where the self driving kicks in.

Speed is one thing, instant acceleration is another level. I remember how much more confident I got passing when I got my S4, and it was just quick. I can imagine people being completely reckless passing with this much power.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #602
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
At some point, similar to F1, that speed is just too dangerous to keep going, and they're going to have to put some sort of limiter on it. You already have dbags constantly ripping down Deerfoot at dangerous speeds overestimating their driving abilities. Can you imagine if every Joe Blow has that type of speed in their family sedan. I'd predict a lot fatalities. I guess that's where the self driving kicks in.
Cars are already bonkers fast with the horsepower race the manufacturers have been in for the past decade. Your basic Mustang GT has over 400 horespower. My car has 550 horsepower. It's insane how fast cars are already, and I don't see fatalities left, right and centre. And as you say, with the self-driving features already available...I just don't see this being a problem since it doesn't currently seem to be a problem.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:16 AM   #603
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
The Rimac Nevera is not what I would call a production car, and it's $2.5 million price tag is pricey for that half of second.
No one is cross-shopping a Nevera and a Tesla, and again, half a second in a sub-10 second quarter-mile is a much bigger deal technologically than dropping half a second from 14 seconds to 13.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Cars are already bonkers fast with the horsepower race the manufacturers have been in for the past decade. Your basic Mustang GT has over 400 horespower. My car has 550 horsepower. It's insane how fast cars are already, and I don't see fatalities left, right and centre. And as you say, with the self-driving features already available...I just don't see this being a problem since it doesn't currently seem to be a problem.
It's less to do with horsepower and largely everything to do with torque. Torque delivery in modern cars is insane, the aggressive nannies in cars are a necessity to stop people running out of talent and putting it into a hedge.

Think of the difference in how you are able to drive with the linear, predictable powerband of a naturally aspirated motor versus the massive thrust of torque from a turbocharged engine versus the instant-on torque of an EV.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #604
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I guess for me, it's more about the sudden acceleration. In the future, when soccer mom/dad in their electric SUV can pull quarter miles in 3 or 4 seconds and have instantaneous acceleration, I think that's when you can get some pretty dangerous driving conditions.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #605
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I guess for me, it's more about the sudden acceleration. In the future, when soccer mom/dad in their electric SUV can pull quarter miles in 3 or 4 seconds and have instantaneous acceleration, I think that's when you can get some pretty dangerous driving conditions.
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of it like that, but you guys raise a really good point. Hopefully the nanny tech protects people from themselves, but you're right that the instantaneous acceleration has the potential to lead to problems. Amazing how much ground you can make up quickly when in a hard-accelerating car.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #606
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

The upcoming 9000 lb EV Hummer can do 0-60 in under 4(?) seconds. Hopefully the driving aids can keep up.

In terms of passing power, the Chevy Bolt I drove last year for 6 months had easily enough passing power for any possible situation. I felt like I had already passed the car in front of me in the same time that a ICE engine would take to merely shift down. Super fast.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:59 PM   #607
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been stuck behind a slow vehicle not getting to merge speed before, and I patiently wait for the solid white line to go dashed. Then merge, and attempt to get around slow car, but some a-hole with way to much HP behind you has cut across the white lines, and is now in the spot you were going to in the fast lane, signal lights and laws be damned. If everyone has too much power and not enough patience, it does make for some dangerous situations.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #608
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Poor Rimac? The Tesla is more than half a second slower. When you're talking sub-10 second runs, half a second is huge.
I didn't actually pay attention to the time in the Tesla video

I heard Jay Leno say "fastest production car you can buy".

So Jay lied?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #609
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Why the #### is it so important to drive these personal vehicles like race cars? Sorry, this crap actually makes me really angry. We’re making heavier vehicles and focusing on driving performance and in vehicle safety while we further ignore our outside world.

This is sickening.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #610
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How many Rimac Nevera's are in customers hands?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Why the #### is it so important to drive these personal vehicles like race cars? Sorry, this crap actually makes me really angry. We’re making heavier vehicles and focusing on driving performance and in vehicle safety while we further ignore our outside world.

This is sickening.
How so? The Plaid S is no more resource intensive to build and drive than the average EV in fact it has a slightly higher EPA rating versus the standard Model S. Plaid is also ~200 pounds lighter.

Last edited by zamler; 06-20-2021 at 10:15 AM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #611
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah there's a limit to these acceleration things. Like most reviewers have said it pretty strongly about the Taycan Turbo S that the acceleration actually hurts. At this point they've made a freight train the fastest accelerating road legal car out there now in these high end EVs.

The trick is to get the price down and extend battery life.

Also, why the hell haven't they made fully EV motorhomes yet? Seems like there'd be a massive market for a large vehicle like that that you absolutely load up on battery to live off grid and drive long range at the same time. They're never going to be lightweight, seems like the most logical place to remove combustion engines.

Plus increased safety with a motor per wheel.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:55 AM   #612
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Motorhome is way down on the list given battery supply. Why does having a motor on each wheel increase safety?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #613
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think EV should start with the low hanging fruit and will be the most impactful. An RV that’s normally parked half the year isn’t the best candidate. I think cars and and local delivery vehicles would be the best, but even delivery vehicles might be better to start at PHEV, lest society can tolerate delivery delays.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #614
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think EV should start with the low hanging fruit and will be the most impactful. An RV that’s normally parked half the year isn’t the best candidate. I think cars and and local delivery vehicles would be the best, but even delivery vehicles might be better to start at PHEV, lest society can tolerate delivery delays.
And semi trucks… please let’s make EV semi trucks a thing. 90% of the traffic in the GTA are black exhaust spewing semi trucks. With slow AF acceleration. ####ing up the air quality and traffic flow at the same time.

It’s also one of the few vehicle types that has a legally governed amount of time on the road without breaks. Make it meet that target, they have to stop to recharge anyway. Install chargers at loading bays too.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #615
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

This is sickening.
I've read your post like three times and still actually have no idea what your problem is here. What do you want to change exactly?
Old 06-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #616
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I didn't actually pay attention to the time in the Tesla video

I heard Jay Leno say "fastest production car you can buy".

So Jay lied?
Only if you think the 8 Rimac's built is a production car

If you do it won't last long as the Tesla Roadster will be out next year

Tesla Roadster 2022

Base Specs.
Acceleration 0-60 mph. 1.9 sec.
Acceleration 0-100 mph. 4.2 sec.
Acceleration 1/4 mile. 8.8 sec.
Top Speed. Over 250 mph.
Wheel Torque. 10,000 Nm.
Mile Range. 620 miles
Price. 200k USD

Oh I forgot, Musk has said the Tesla Roadster SpaceX edition will do 0-60 mph in 1.1 sec

Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 06-20-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #617
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
And semi trucks… please let’s make EV semi trucks a thing. 90% of the traffic in the GTA are black exhaust spewing semi trucks. With slow AF acceleration. ####ing up the air quality and traffic flow at the same time.

It’s also one of the few vehicle types that has a legally governed amount of time on the road without breaks. Make it meet that target, they have to stop to recharge anyway. Install chargers at loading bays too.
There coming!

Side note, with the introduction of clean diesel and DEF systems black exhaust hasn't been a thing for many years.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #618
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
There coming!

Side note, with the introduction of clean diesel and DEF systems black exhaust hasn't been a thing for many years.
Except for the guys that delete them just like the diesel pickup morons.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #619
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Except for the guys that delete them just like the diesel pickup morons.
There is that!
Old 06-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #620
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only if you think the 8 Rimac's built is a production car

If you do it won't last long as the Tesla Roadster will be out next year

Tesla Roadster 2022

Base Specs.
Acceleration 0-60 mph. 1.9 sec.
Acceleration 0-100 mph. 4.2 sec.
Acceleration 1/4 mile. 8.8 sec.
Top Speed. Over 250 mph.
Wheel Torque. 10,000 Nm.
Mile Range. 620 miles
Price. 200k USD

Oh I forgot, Musk has said the Tesla Roadster SpaceX edition will do 0-60 mph in 1.1 sec
He also claimed the Model S Plaid will do 0-60 MPH in 1.96 seconds, and that was a lie because Tesla advertises 0-60 MPH times while subtracting roll-out (so it's effectively a 5-60 MPH time).