Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #1341
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Perhaps one day both Sony and Xbox will make it worthwhile owning a next gen console.
Well with backwards compatibility with enhanced performance, drastically lower load times, and the DualSense controller I think Sony has already made it quite worthwhile to own a PS5. Even if none of the PS5 exclusive titles interest you, just think of it as a beefier PS4 Pro
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #1342
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
But why? You seem angry about a subscription on a platform that you don’t own.

Perhaps this is the thunder dome so piling on seems legit but we are in a global pandemic so I’ve tempered my expectations.
Asked and answered.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #1343
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
But why? You seem angry about a subscription on a platform that you don’t own.

I’ve had lots of games to play and catch up on. Finished Star Wars squadrons, continue to play forza horizon, steep is good, ea sports games too.

Perhaps this is the thunder dome so piling on seems legit but we are in a global pandemic so I’ve tempered my expectations.

And I’ve literally never cared less what Sony does with ps5.
But I do own the platform... I have a Series S and Game Pass -- it's mostly for the kids and their games but I wouldn't mind having had something noteworthy come out for it.

And the "but pandemic!" excuse for games is starting to grow a bit thin honestly when we've had huge games coming out the entire time... mostly on Playstation. Heck Insomniac is about to push out their second cutting edge AAA game in the last 6 months like it's no big deal.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #1344
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well with backwards compatibility with enhanced performance, drastically lower load times, and the DualSense controller I think Sony has already made it quite worthwhile to own a PS5. Even if none of the PS5 exclusive titles interest you, just think of it as a beefier PS4 Pro

Series X crushes Sony in this, My PS5 sits collecting dust as I can play Mass Effect Legendary at 1440p 120 FPS. While Xbox Series X has what, 7 times the number of 120 fps new and reverse compatible games available to play.

And I still find the Dual sense controller hype to be a bit overblown, haptic feedback is a fun little perk but nothing to make me feel "holy crap I need this PS5". I still feel the jump from 30 to 120 fps is the bigger game changer.

Not to mention the issues I had with the controller and needing a replacement 2 months in.

So currently as a holdover, the series x is an amazing last gen system. Quick resume, crazy back compat library with FPS boost and game pass are awesome, plus having an HDMI 2.1 tv makes for both systems to be buttery smooth.

Just still really disappointed, hopefully Ratchet and Clank will give me some fun times on PS5.

Last edited by Since1984; 06-07-2021 at 12:06 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #1345
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of "New" Switch Pro rumors - could even be announced this week perhaps?

Gonna sell like hotcakes.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #1346
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

Will be picking one up for sure to replace my beat up old Switch.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #1347
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

It's probably gonna be as hard to get as a new video card. I'm not looking forward to fighting with that.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #1348
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can they please fix the damn joycon issue with this one?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #1349
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
This would be amazing, but it is an industry wide issue as all major console brands use the same company for their joystick modules. It just seems that it was much worse on the JoyCon's for some reason. But I have also dealt with stick drift on every single one of my controllers in the past 5 years.

Another company needs to step up and make better modules at a decent price, #### you Alps fix your potentiometers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #1350
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Pretty much this. I don't care how much better the OLED is or beefier the console is, if it has the same joycon issues as the current Switch, then I'm out. That was one of the most disappointing this about the Switch, and I can't believe they still haven't found a good fix for it yet.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #1351
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

At least they fix the joycons for free, but it's pretty unacceptable how bad they are

I sent in 2 pairs of drifting joycons. They repaired one set, and straight up replaced the other with a brand new pair

They repaired them in B.C. and only took about 5 or 6 days to get them back
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #1352
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps one day both Sony and Xbox will make it worthwhile owning a next gen console.
Especially at the prices. So not worth it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:18 PM   #1353
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Especially at the prices. So not worth it
IDK, at retail prices I think both systems are a bargain considering the performance
Old 06-08-2021, 10:19 PM   #1354
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
IDK, at retail prices I think both systems are a bargain considering the performance
I actually thought they were about $200 more than they are for some reason, but just looked it up.

Still don't think I'll ever get a console again, regardless
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #1355
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So quiet on this thread during E3!

Was impressed with the Microsoft presentation of 30 games announced with 27 on game pass. At least 1 new game a month.

Yes, there were some that I was not interested in from their trailers, but some that I would have bought and I’m pleased to see them as game pass.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:47 PM   #1356
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

E3 is tough for the Thunderdome when Nintendo hasn't gone yet and Sony doesn't bother with E3 anymore.

I also thought Microsoft had a pretty solid show, some great games coming to GamePass and some cool reveals. Forza Horizon 5 has ridiculous visuals.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #1357
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
E3 is tough for the Thunderdome when Nintendo hasn't gone yet and Sony doesn't bother with E3 anymore.

I also thought Microsoft had a pretty solid show, some great games coming to GamePass and some cool reveals. Forza Horizon 5 has ridiculous visuals.
One interesting thing to come out of Microsoft's E3 conference was the number of games that will not be cross gen and will only be on the series consoles and PC. This seems like a much earlier transition away from the Xbox One than I had initially thought.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:08 AM   #1358
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One interesting thing to come out of Microsoft's E3 conference was the number of games that will not be cross gen and will only be on the series consoles and PC. This seems like a much earlier transition away from the Xbox One than I had initially thought.
I think we'll see the same from Sony. Their slate of announced cross-gen games (Horizon, GoW, GT7) will likely be the last and all released by this time next year. Microsoft is just announcing stuff that's a bit farther out at the moment.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #1359
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I’m not a big online gamer except a few PC titles, the one thing that would make me consider buying a PS5 is if a jailbreak came out for it to run homebrew.

Why? If you can run homebrew, you could port a web browser like Chromium to the PS5 running in game mode (I’m assuming, like Xbox, Sony has different memory and resource limits for apps vs. games). Then you sign up for Game Pass Ultimate and you get the benefit of PS5 exclusives and Xbox through Xbox Cloud Gaming in a single console.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #1360
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Since I’m not a big online gamer except a few PC titles, the one thing that would make me consider buying a PS5 is if a jailbreak came out for it to run homebrew.

Why? If you can run homebrew, you could port a web browser like Chromium to the PS5 running in game mode (I’m assuming, like Xbox, Sony has different memory and resource limits for apps vs. games). Then you sign up for Game Pass Ultimate and you get the benefit of PS5 exclusives and Xbox through Xbox Cloud Gaming in a single console.
Why waste your time with this? Xbox and Microsoft have announced they are working with TV manufacturers to bring game pass cloud streaming to TV's and with a dongle. Just wait for the app or buy the dongle. Then you don't have to deal with waiting/bricking your console with Homebrew.