Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #281
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
I was pleasantly surprised with Mare of Easttown. Really good 7 part series with twists and turns.
Agreed. Would love a few more shows like this. A good mystery, some clever twists, well acted. Something that spans several episodes so you can really get into it.

Season 1 of True Detective was next level great.
The Outsider was fantastic out of the blocks and then pffttt...
Watchmen was a lot like this even with the Scifi element
The Night of was excellent
Big Little lies season 1.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #282
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Agreed. Would love a few more shows like this. A good mystery, some clever twists, well acted. Something that spans several episodes so you can really get into it.

Season 1 of True Detective was next level great.
The Outsider was fantastic out of the blocks and then pffttt...
Watchmen was a lot like this even with the Scifi element
The Night of was excellent
Big Little lies season 1.

This list just reminded me of Sharp Objects; also an excellent member of this genre.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 09:02 PM   #283
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Outsider on HBO started the same, and then just devolved into horror schlock after about episode 3.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #284
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Domina is pretty good after only 1 episode. About Livia, wife of Caesar Augustus. Picks up shortly after the assassination of Julius.

Limited series. 8 episodes. I think anyone who like Rome should like this.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:30 AM   #285
jaydaybay
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
This list just reminded me of Sharp Objects; also an excellent member of this genre.
The Killing, The Fall and The Sinner are along the same lines...cheery list of titles. Dont recall the different platforms off hand im afraid.
jaydaybay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydaybay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #286
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Woodstock doc on HBO was alright. The “experts” were mostly terrible. The journalists I mean. The artists, attendees and organizers were interesting to hear from. The organizers look real bad. Their interviews were embarrassing. The promoters and certain media interviewees trying to blame limp bizkit was hilarious.

Too many media contributors, who weren’t even there, talking about their own agendas. The attendees were good though, they had some interesting insight. Lots of good clips and footage.

Some weird tangents, like racism and girls gone wild, which had no relevance to the documentary or the events.

Failed to really delve into the failures of the festival, the cultural influence, the capitalistic price gauging etc. Instead if felt like they covered a lot but none of it very deep. As expected, tons of bashing young white males but very little examination of why these young men were acting this way. It’s not like they became savages overnight. As covered, people showed up wanting their own Woodstock 69 and it ended up as lord of the flies.

I did like how they mentioned the failures of the original Woodstock in 69, which actually had many of the same issues as 99 (food shortages, safety, sexual assault), but it was very brief. The entire narrative that 69 was about peace, love and promiscuously sex is entirely false and is only a viewpoint that emerged as the myth of the festival grew as time went by.

Moby is an obnoxious dick. Scott Stapp, offspring and Jonathan Davis were all good though.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-24-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #287
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Very entertaining overall. I agree with many of your criticisms. I loved the bit where they had Moby contemporaneously complaining about how his name wasn't in the banner.... Then a current interview about how he knew it was a bad idea all along and Coachella was the true festival for artists.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #288
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we need more 'Fyre Festivals.'

Just...you know, without 'Exit Strategies.'

Cull the Herd a little.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #289
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Funny enough, I was thinking about how well done the Fyre Festival doc was in comparison. It was my benchmark. Or I was expecting something with more depth on the societal constructs that led to such a disaster, be it toxic masculinity as perpetuated by MTV and corporate America or the massive capitalist greed that spawned such an atmosphere.

I also found the way they idolized Coachella hilarious and insanely hypocritical. All Coachella did was prove that these exact same artists and fans don’t behave like animals in the right environment. Coachella has also proven that these same people are completely fine with their corporate overlords overcharging them for basic services as long as they have access to organized campgrounds, showers, bathrooms and clean water.

All that being said, from a memory lane, news footage kind of view, it was totally on point and very enjoyable. It was a decent summary of the weekend with some commentary attempting to contextualize the events (albeit often missing the mark).

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-24-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #290
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Funny enough, I was thinking about how well done the Fyre Festival doc was in comparison. It was my benchmark. Or I was expecting something with more depth on the societal constructs that led to such a disaster, be it toxic masculinity as perpetuated by MTV and corporate America or the massive capitalist greed that spawned such an atmosphere.

I also found the way they idolized Coachella hilarious and insanely hypocritical. All Coachella did was prove that these exact same artists and fans don’t behave like animals in the right environment. Coachella has also proven that these same people are completely fine with their corporate overlords overcharging them for basic services as long as they have access to organized campgrounds, showers, bathrooms and clean water.

All that being said, from a memory lane, news footage kind of view, it was totally on point and very enjoyable. It was a decent summary of the weekend with some commentary attempting to contextualize the events (albeit often missing the mark).
Dude....you just had to lob that softball out there...didnt you?

You just described 'Homeless Cosplay.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #291
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

It's fun to reminisce about the late 90s and what a cultural black hole it was. I remember when Limp Bizkit had that "faith" cover and I thought they were just a novelty act... Then they somehow became a movement into themselves.

Music in that era really was trash. You had rapcore, bad pop, horrible early electronic music/electronica, etc... It was the last death throes of the music video/radio dependency era. But also where the music videos were at their peak of gaudiness and excess.

It wasn't just music: tribal tattoos, parachute jeans, wife beaters, puffy jackets, chin straps, etc....

I remember how ground breaking the White Stripes and the Strokes were. We were finally getting good music again.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #292
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's fun to reminisce about the late 90s and what a cultural black hole it was. I remember when Limp Bizkit had that "faith" cover and I thought they were just a novelty act... Then they somehow became a movement into themselves.

Music in that era really was trash. You had rapcore, bad pop, horrible early electronic music/electronica, etc... It was the last death throes of the music video/radio dependency era. But also where the music videos were at their peak of gaudiness and excess.

It wasn't just music: tribal tattoos, parachute jeans, wife beaters, puffy jackets, chin straps, etc....

I remember how ground breaking the White Stripes and the Strokes were. We were finally getting good music again.

I don’t know, with the exception of Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit, I’d say the Woodstock line up was pretty kick ass. I mean sure, Offspring had gone full on Pretty Fly for a White guy by then but they’re weren’t far removed from good music. Then Korn, RATM, Metallica, RHCP as the evening headliners have all held up reasonably well, even if none of them have released a relevant record in 20ish years. Bush was a one hit wonder I guess so they’re kind of the odd man out of that group. Then the daytime acts were solid from a more mainstream perspective, Hip, Dave Matthews, Counting Crows, Jewel, Alanis, Cheryl Crow etc.

Plus, Limp Bizkit sucks but Wes Borland is awesome. That guy can write a damn good riff and has had a good low key career since he left Fred in the dust.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #293
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Woodstock doc on HBO was alright. The “experts” were mostly terrible. The journalists I mean. The artists, attendees and organizers were interesting to hear from. The organizers look real bad. Their interviews were embarrassing. The promoters and certain media interviewees trying to blame limp bizkit was hilarious.

Too many media contributors, who weren’t even there, talking about their own agendas. The attendees were good though, they had some interesting insight. Lots of good clips and footage.

Some weird tangents, like racism and girls gone wild, which had no relevance to the documentary or the events.

Failed to really delve into the failures of the festival, the cultural influence, the capitalistic price gauging etc. Instead if felt like they covered a lot but none of it very deep. As expected, tons of bashing young white males but very little examination of why these young men were acting this way. It’s not like they became savages overnight. As covered, people showed up wanting their own Woodstock 69 and it ended up as lord of the flies.

I did like how they mentioned the failures of the original Woodstock in 69, which actually had many of the same issues as 99 (food shortages, safety, sexual assault), but it was very brief. The entire narrative that 69 was about peace, love and promiscuously sex is entirely false and is only a viewpoint that emerged as the myth of the festival grew as time went by.

Moby is an obnoxious dick. Scott Stapp, offspring and Jonathan Davis were all good though.
I actually said the exact same thing to my gf. Really enjoyed the doc but the journalist “experts” had some really bad hot takes
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #294
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t know, with the exception of Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit, I’d say the Woodstock line up was pretty kick ass. I mean sure, Offspring had gone full on Pretty Fly for a White guy by then but they’re weren’t far removed from good music. Then Korn, RATM, Metallica, RHCP as the evening headliners have all held up reasonably well, even if none of them have released a relevant record in 20ish years. Bush was a one hit wonder I guess so they’re kind of the odd man out of that group. Then the daytime acts were solid from a more mainstream perspective, Hip, Dave Matthews, Counting Crows, Jewel, Alanis, Cheryl Crow etc.

Plus, Limp Bizkit sucks but Wes Borland is awesome. That guy can write a damn good riff and has had a good low key career since he left Fred in the dust.
I agree on RATM. Metallica' s late 90s stuff was not good. RHCPs were also on a downward spiral. They changed their style for Californication, which worked, but everything after was not good.

In think Fatboy slim and Wyclef still hold up, but the rest of the lineup is very questionable.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #295
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

We can agree to disagree but I’d say we are only a +NIN and +Tool (and -Bush and -Limp Bizkit) away from having the best rock line up ever assembled. Sure Metallica and RHCP weren’t in their prime but there’s no denying their pedigree. Short of raising Kurt Cobain from the dead, I literally could not dream up a better line up of rock bands in 1999 to play that show.

Sure some of the mainstream acts weren’t the best (everlast, Live etc should have been Pearl Jam and REM or something) but at that moment in time I think it was a pretty stellar line up.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:20 PM   #296
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

My point was more that the mainstream bands just weren't very good to choose from. It was an awkward post grunge/punk era where the record companies had slapped a bunch of genres together to increase appeal. Lol.. Now I sound like the pompous people they interviewed in the doc.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #297
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Disagree! You had Prodigee, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Crystal Method, Bob Sinclair, DJ Dan, Jamiroquai, Morcheba, Fatboy Slim, Portishead....so much good stuff. Yes, the early 90's dance crap was not good. But there was plenty that was.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 07:57 AM   #298
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It’s very popular to crap all over music from the 90s. Just like it was the 80s. Just like it was the 70s.

In reality, there’s tons of good 80s music and the late 70s had just as many classic albums like The Wall as it did crappy disco albums.

Same for the 90s. It an awesome time for music.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-25-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #299
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s very popular to crap all over music from the 90s. Just like it was the 80s. Just like it was the 70s.

In reality, there’s tons of good 80s music and the late 70s had just as many classic albums like The Wall as it did crappy disco albums.

Same for the 90s. It an awesome time for music.
Um, he 70s was a fantastic decade for music. Disco was a really bad idea, of course, but the decade overall was as good as any - probably #2 to the 60s

Zeppelin, Floyd, Eagles, Boston, early VH and Cars, early (and best) punk. New wave like B52s and Blondie and so many others. The best heavy metal, like Metallica, AC/DC etc.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #300
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

how did I forget Queen!?!?! For shame, Enoch

and Elton John

It just goes on and on for the 70s.

In a nutshell, the 70s took 60s music and ran with it in multiple directions, almost all of them (except disco) being brilliant.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote