Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #21
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wouldn't it be amazing if at the end of the season, most of the agents of shield die because of the finger snapping?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #22
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That Vision death scene was amazingly done too.

You had Shuri specifically call out that misplacing even one single wire could cause Vision to die...then you have Thanos just rip the Mind Stone out of his head and you see all the wires just rip away.
I think that this one was one of the best. It really hit when Thanos did this, got the gem...and you see all the color fade out of Vision. I was really impressed with that.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #23
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That Vision death scene was amazingly done too.

You had Shuri specifically call out that misplacing even one single wire could cause Vision to die...then you have Thanos just rip the Mind Stone out of his head and you see all the wires just rip away.

IMO that movie just was paced and filmed in such a perfect way to get you to really feel how dire and helpless the situation was.

In the end I think they "killed off" 16 major characters:

Loki
Heimdall
Gamora
Vision
Star Lord
Drax
Groot
Spider-Man
Scarlett Witch
Black Panther
Falcon
Bucky
Doctor Strange
Nick Fury
Maria Hill
Mantis

Didn't think they'd actually have the guts to go that deep. My guess is many of them, if not all will somehow return by the end of A4 (I still think end game here is Tony and Captain America make the ultimate sacrifice to save everyone else) but still pretty ambitious by Marvel to pull that one off. I think that the fact that most of the really strong comedic timing actors were "dusted" means a potentially darker and more serious tone for A4.
I think Loki, Heimdall and Gamora are gone for good. Who knows about the rest though.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #24
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Speechless does not begin to describe my initial reaction. My only other thought is that I know that they’re going to undo a lot of things that happen in the end.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oh and it clearly was not a coincidence that all of the original avengers were left to live. But I am 100% confident they will use the time stone to undo a bunch of the other deaths however I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if every single original avenger died and that was the sacrifice.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I think Loki, Heimdall and Gamora are gone for good. Who knows about the rest though.
Loki and Heimdall for sure, but I'm not sure about Gamora because she's a central Guardians character. Loki and Heindall are key but not central.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #27
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is so much in this movie that as I think about it certain parts just come back.

The scene when the GoTG first find Thor and then Peter is jealous and changes his voice was awesome too.

A Thor + GoTG space buddy movie would be pretty amazing.

I also like that they kept some stuff for future movies:

- Captain and Tony's reunion
- Star Lord never made it back to his home planet earth
- Spider-Man & Hulk still have never interacted (Or Spider-man and Groot/Rocket)

And probably more awesome moments that will be fun when they happen that I can't even think of right now.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-27-2018 at 03:40 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Dwarf Peter Dinklage who is actually a giant!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Just got back...decided to go at lunch, to avoid any spoilers over the weekend.

I thought it was great. They dealt with the scope of the characters in the best way they could. A couple two many quips and some of the battle scenes could have been extended, but overall fantastic.

I definitely wouldn't take any death (or survivals) as final. The gauntlet can undo any deaths, just as easily as it creates them. The effect of the dead people blowing away was cool and really added to the drama of the scene. Although the Parker one was a bit much.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #30
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

This movie made me really want a Guardians/Thor movie. They work so well together.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #31
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Speechless does not begin to describe my initial reaction. My only other thought is that I know that they’re going to undo a lot of things that happen in the end.
I think Speechless is fair.

My theater was silent at least 1 minute into the credits.

I really liked it, but seeing the Gaurdians and Spiderman disappear reveled allot about their intentions going forward, as they already have more movies announced. It should have a bit more impact than it did, but from the Gamora death onward I was starting to think about how they would turn back time in A4.

I'm amazed how well they carried 3-4 store lines at one time, working within the same overall plot and allowing characters flow out of one story line and into another.

I do think they did have a bit of trouble letting the characters set their own tone at times. But the average lead actor probably only had about 20 minutes of screen time in a 2.5 hour movie, so what can you do.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #32
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

One stupid thing that occurred to me, Tony Stark is kind of a dink. He could at least offer Black Widow a nano tech body suit like he did Spidey. She has no friggin powers. Everyone else has superhuman strength or a Stark made suit.

Anyone know if Hawkeye and AntMan are confirmed for pt2? Or they sticking with Clint’s retirement thing?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #33
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
But the average lead actor probably only had about 20 minutes of screen time in a 2.5 hour movie, so what can you do.
Kill most of them so it doesn't happen in the next movie?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #34
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
One stupid thing that occurred to me, Tony Stark is kind of a dink. He could at least offer Black Widow a nano tech body suit like he did Spidey. She has no friggin powers. Everyone else has superhuman strength or a Stark made suit.

Anyone know if Hawkeye and AntMan are confirmed for pt2? Or they sticking with Clint’s retirement thing?
Wiki has both of them, the Wasp, Captain Marvel and Happy all joining the cast. But with Wiki there can be some guessing at times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...se_film_actors

I think it's smart of they don't they have generally avoided talking about the continuity problems that are inherent with trying to weave together 60 years of comic characters that aren't really contiguous on their own. Why doesn't Natasha have an Iron Suit, because she's the Black Widow, that's all. The exception seems to be Hawkeye making jokes about how stupid it is that his super power is a bow and arrow.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #35
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I don’t think it’s a continuity problem, I just think Tony Stark might be a misogynist.

It was also not meant to be a serious criticism.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:13 PM   #36
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the movie this afternoon, and I really enjoyed it. Crazy to see them kill off so many characters. However, we know that Spider-Man and the Guardians will definitely be back, since both have sequels in the works for 2019 and 2020.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #37
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Saw the movie this afternoon, and I really enjoyed it. Crazy to see them kill off so many characters. However, we know that Spider-Man and the Guardians will definitely be back, since both have sequels in the works for 2019 and 2020.
Which I think helps avoid it looking like a cop out when they come back.

If we thought those deaths were for real, I’d be choked when they undo it later.

And if I may be pedantic for a moment, several people have used the term retcon to describe their coming back. That only applies in situations where something is changed retroactively. Like if the next movie came out and they said they were actually killed by Galactus not Thanos. Using the time gem would not be a retcon imo. It’s just part of the known story.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 04-27-2018 at 08:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #38
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I bet Hawkeye joins to help them in part two because his family disappeared in the snap. Which is friggin' heartbreaking to think about.

Also, one thing I haven't seen talked about yet is Tony's PTSD. The vision from Age of Ultron came true (different circumstances, but still a lot of Avengers died) and he had to watch Peter fade away right in his arms. Also we don't know if Pepper survived. He's gonna be REAL messed up in the next movie.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:07 PM   #39
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excellent job with Thanos. Motivation, humanization and back story. Depending on your perspective, he is the hero of the movie.

He sets out to save the universe, with his loyal band of sidekicks. Overcomes hurdles and sacrifices everything, and everyone, for the survival of a bunch of strangers. Good guy, that Thanos.
V
Old 04-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #40
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Agreed he certainly was the protagonist of the movie. The inciting incident, the heros journey, the personal sacrifice, and victory all belong to him in this movie. There were allot of Characters who had aspects of this but they did not unify the whole movie. Thor was probably the closest, but he was outside of the action allot.

Tags
avengers , rabbit , spoilers , thanos