Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #341
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Just because Strange saw 1 way that they defeated Thanos, does not mean that 1 way showed them all being brought back to life.
Assuming we're in the timeline that Strange saw. What else would it mean? Which I think is an obvious given.

Anything less than bringing back half the population (sans a couple heroes) is not defeating Thanos...

Thanos is done. He killed half the population and went to the farm to enjoy life. He's not an active threat, there's no reason to 'stop' him. What they need to do to defeat him is reverse what he did.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #342
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched this movie last night. I haven't really been following the Marvel Universe that much other then a couple films here and there. But damnnnnnnn, this was beyond epic and pretty much edge of the seat the entire time.

The hardest part for me was trying to figure out exactly who was who since I don't follow films that much. But overall it was a great movie experience. Thanos is a great character, and someone I felt genuine conflicting emotions with. The last scene with the sunrise was just awesome. In fact, it could end right then and there, and I'd be happy with that as a conclusion (maybe other won't).

Since I never watched the other previous 2 Avengers films, would it be worthwhile to watch them to catch up? Even without knowing the past storylines, I thought it did quite well getting me up to speed even though I was newcomer who had no previous knowledge.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #343
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yes just because the earlier films do involve the chase for the infinity stones as do the other marvel movies. At the heart of it, they set this movie up fairly well.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #344
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

To have a relatively strong sense of what's going on, you probably need...

Avengers 1
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Dr. Strange (sort of)
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok

Everything else is probably superfluous. You could make a case for Avengers 2 but then you'd just be wondering where Wanda's accent went.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #345
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Since I never watched the other previous 2 Avengers films, would it be worthwhile to watch them to catch up? Even without knowing the past storylines, I thought it did quite well getting me up to speed even though I was newcomer who had no previous knowledge.
I think it depends on how much free time you're willing to invest. If you're looking for just two to four movies max to watch, I would suggest watching Captain America: Civil War, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy before either of the Avenger movies. As those are all good movies that are more recent in the continuity. If you're looking at getting "caught up" for the next movie, the most important is probably Captain America: Civil War, in my opinion.

If you have the time, CHL's list is pretty good. Could add Iron Man to start as it was what started it all.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #346
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could add a few in, but that list really is intended to just offer the main plot points: who are all these characters, how did they get to where they are before Infinity War, and what the heck are these infinity stone thingies. I think everything outside of that list is for colour and context about the MCU.

As far as Iron Man goes, you get to know who he is well enough in Avengers 1 that you don't desperately need his backstory. I'd definitely put Avengers 2 on that list before Iron Man, because it gives more Iron Man backstory, as well as Vision and Wanda backstory, and sets the stage for two other movies on the list (Civil War and Thor:Ragnarok). But six movies is already kind of a lot as an "MCU Crash Course".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 08-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #347
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Avengers 1
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dr. Strange (sort of)
Black Panther

Everything else is probably superfluous. You could make a case for Avengers 2 but then you'd just be wondering where Wanda's accent went.

I'd add the the first Captain America movie because its all about the Tesseract.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #348
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Avengers 1
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dr. Strange (sort of)
Black Panther

And the mid-credit clip in Thor: The Dark World where they give the Aether to the Collector. You can skip the rest of that movie.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #349
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah... I don't really think either of those are necessary. You get all you need of the Tesseract from Avengers 1, and who cares about the Aether. It's just another stone Thanos has to collect. Honestly, you'd ideally like to be able to cut it down to 4 movies or less so someone can get there in a day, but I don't see how that's feasible without leaving the viewer in a "who the hell is that, where the heck are they, why are they doing that and what are that guy's powers" situation.

I'm surprised some fan hasn't done some sort of mega edit, though, that cuts together a bunch of scenes from a bunch of movies a la "Star Wars prequels re-edit" to provide all the background in, say, 6 hours. That'll probably happen at some point.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #350
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is the third film so you'd need to at the very least see have seen Avengers and Age of Ultron. To really understand what is going on I would also recommend Iron Man, Captain America: The Winter Solider, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther. They are they best movies in the series and give you the background on all the major characters and the events leading up to Infinity Wars.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #351
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The shortest version of the Marvel series I could recommend right now is 10 movies;

1-Ironman II
2-Thor
3-Captain America The First Avenger
4-The Avengers; stands alone pretty well, but theres allot of very useful character development in the prior 3 (especially Thor, even though its not the best marvel movie).
5-Captain America The Winter Soldier - must see to even start following the events of civil war
6-Guardians of the Galaxy - Moves the whole conflict beyond earth for the first time, initially sets up the whole Thanos arc.
7-Avengers Age of Ultron - must see to even start following the events of civil war
8-Captain America Civil War - Vital to understand where 1/2 of our main characters have been left leading into Infinity war
9-Thor Ragnarok - Vital to understand where the other 1/2 of our main characters are leading into Infinity war.
10-Infinity War, the movie so good they had to invent an Oscar for it.

I think if you were trying to catch up on Marvel in one weekend right now you could probably skip;

Ironman 1 its good, but you can pretty much explain the most important parts of themovie in one sentence. Billionaire playboy inventory builds hightech body armor and decides he can single handedly save the world.

Watching the Incredible Hulk adds nothing to the series.

Iron 3 - is really out of place, I suspect the movie was written before they knew how successful the team up / crossover films would be, and the were not as careful placing it within the MCU as they have been with other Post A1 movies

The Dark world - provides some unneeded background, but its just not very good marvel, so you probably don't need to watch it.

Ant-man - this series still exists outside of the main series for me, his plot background just isn't important to the main storyline yet.

Dr Strange - doesn't add much to infinity war, but I suspect it will give allot of Avengers 4. And it is a much much better movie in retrospect after having seen Infinity war, I would probably watch it as an origin story after having seen infinity war.

Gaurdians of the Galaxy Vol II - all you need to know is Peter might kinda sorta be a demigod and Mantis can control peoples emotions, unless you were one of the guys mapping out the locations of the stones and the characters ahead of time.

Spider-man Homecoming - can pretty much stand outside of the series right now

Black Panther - all you need to know there is a super secret super high tech African country with a warrior king. But all of the character background you need is in civil war

Ant-man and the Wasp, I think this movie will do allot for the main plot for Avengers 4. But you really don't need it for Infinity war.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #352
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iron Man 2 over 1????
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #353
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect it's actually this, rather than Thanos having to get all the stones in order for them to win.

Except he didn't when he was fighting Ebony Maw on Earth, which is what I was talking about. It's just sort of jarring when you have this ultra-powerful character who gets easily handled by a villain, and then the villain is himself easily killed with, essentially, a gag death. Seriously, he's powerful enough to handle the Sorcerer Supreme with ease, but can't survive someone blowing a hole in his space ship?

I remember Joss Whedon talking about having to make sense of an Avengers team with wildly different levels of power and being consistent about that. In this movie they just seemed to give people whatever power level was convenient to the plot at the time, regardless of consistency with prior films. It's not like it ruined the movie or anything close to it, but I noticed it.
I think it’s fine, it actually is how things are in real life. An elephant can beat a lion , a lion can beat a mouse, but a mouse can beat a elephant. It’s a “styles makes matches” thing. Even in combat sports, the greatest champions all have difficulty against perceived or weaker opponents who otherwise got destroyed by other opponents who the champ destroyed.

Ebony maw bested one brilliant mind but he himself got bested by two highly intellectual humans in Ironman and Spider-Man. If you look at it that way, I don’t think its as bad as some are making it out to be. Not all battles are won through physical strength, this was a case where brain power won.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #354
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Iron Man 2 over 1????
Seriously. Anyone who follows that list will not only get a bunch of useless filler but will probably just quit after the first two movies upon concluding that this is all hopelessly awful.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #355
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Just watch them all. They all fit together so nice.

I'm going to watch them all with the kids this winter before IW2 comes out.
stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2018, 09:50 AM   #356
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

I've got the entire MCU in my Plex library as it's own collection sorted by release date. When the kids are old enough it'll be fun to run through the entire thing with them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #357
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've got the entire MCU in my Plex library as it's own collection sorted by release date. When the kids are old enough it'll be fun to run through the entire thing with them

Then the real discussion begins.

What is the correct viewing order? Because I don't think it is by release date.

See Corsi's post above, he has Thor after BP even though it came out before, which is the preferred viewing order for those two movies. Not a ton of shuffling and nothing as stupid as the Star Wars thing where people watch the prequels in the middle of the original trilogy, but a couple of moves may make it a more seamless viewing experience.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #358
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

Then it gets awkward after watching these movies with awesome action and effects. Then when the last credits you're kids will turn around and ask that question that you've been dreading "Dad . . . How can you be an Oilers fan?"

And the world as you know it will end

Old 08-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #359
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Then the real discussion begins.

What is the correct viewing order? Because I don't think it is by release date.

See Corsi's post above, he has Thor after BP even though it came out before, which is the preferred viewing order for those two movies. Not a ton of shuffling and nothing as stupid as the Star Wars thing where people watch the prequels in the middle of the original trilogy, but a couple of moves may make it a more seamless viewing experience.

BP before Ragnarok is really the only change I'd make since Thor rolls directly into Infinity War. The rest of the movies flow just fine when watched by release date, especially when the post-credits scenes directly setup the next movie
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:29 PM   #360
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

If you really want to lean things down, you could get away with:

Guardians of the Galaxy (backstory on the stones and Thanos)
Captain America Civil War (basically tells you what the Avengers are up to)
Thor: Ragnarok (the closest lead up to IW)

This assumes you have enough comic book knowledge to know things like Captain America and Thor's backstory. As a bonus these are 3 of the best Marvel movies.

If you wanted to dive a little deeper, I'd go:

Black Panther
Doctor Strange
Captain America: Winter Soldier

These are all pretty great movies too but not as good as the first 3 I mentioned. I'd definitely watch Iron Man (the first one), because it's just good too.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers , rabbit , spoilers , thanos