Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:32 PM   #2441
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Depends what people really think of Fox.

Also how many teams can take on $6M while sending back less than $2M?

At the end of the day I think a team like Nashvillemor Montreal or Columbus will cough up the pieces the Avs want. Flames can't offer much more than prospects at this point

Duchene also scored 30 goals once, had 41pts last year and only has 2 years left on his deal. He is not worth what the Avs are asking.
41 point on that team is a big deal. That was the hottest garbage I've ever seen. And I watched the Oilers under Eakins.

I agree with Fox. I think his value is high around the league even if he is still a magic bean. Flames would have to compensate the Avs by sending some cap space over. So an extra assets on top of what I would assume would be a Brouwer or Stajan. With Stajan the most likely since Jankowski is literally kicking down the door.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #2442
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
That may be true, but that's still an extremely underwhelming offer you just put together. It was Ferland and two question marks. No chance that gets it done, and as I said, could easily be out-matched by a multitude of other teams.
Flames sent 3 question marks to the Bruins for Dougie and the isles for Hamonic. Fox is quickly becoming one of the best D prospects not in the NHL. Gillies is closer to making it in the league than many other prospects and Ferland is still full of potential. All the While the Avs save $4.25M each of the next 2 years.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #2443
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the real problem in landing Duchene is our lack of picks in the next couple drafts and our unwillingness to give up young core pieces the Avs would likely want.

I just don't see a piece like Ferland (as good as I think he is) and a couple of prospects coming close to getting it done with what several other teams can offer.

Fair or not, the Avs are likely asking for the moon.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #2444
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Flames sent 3 question marks to the Bruins for Dougie and the isles for Hamonic. Fox is quickly becoming one of the best D prospects not in the NHL. Gillies is closer to making it in the league than many other prospects and Ferland is still full of potential. All the While the Avs save $4.25M each of the next 2 years.
Those were all high picks, of which we have none in the next few years.

I know all about Fox. He's still a ways away from cracking a roster if he ever does. It's still a very underwhelming proposal.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #2445
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
41 point on that team is a big deal. That was the hottest garbage I've ever seen. And I watched the Oilers under Eakins.

I agree with Fox. I think his value is high around the league even if he is still a magic bean. Flames would have to compensate the Avs by sending some cap space over. So an extra assets on top of what I would assume would be a Brouwer or Stajan. With Stajan the most likely since Jankowski is literally kicking down the door.
Both Stajan and Brouwer have trade protection that likely blocks a move to the Avs.

If the Flames sent Ferland's $1.75M they could squeeze in the $6M on Duchene correct?

Treliving stated goal scoring was going to keep him up at night. Duchene is the best goal scorer on the trade market. No doubt he is staying close to it.

Lastly the Avs have had a weird affinity with Flames players under Sakic. Perhaps that overvaluing would continue in this deal?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #2446
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point it's not about value or what team can outmatch the other. It's about what GM can whisper in Sakic's ear. Sakic has shown that he isn't a GM so he can probably be convinced to do whatever. I like our chances.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #2447
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where to put this - MacArthur fails his medical.. maybe not a good thing even after 3 months rest?

http://www.tsn.ca/senators-macarthur...dical-1.856648
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #2448
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both Stajan and Brouwer have trade protection that likely blocks a move to the Avs.

If the Flames sent Ferland's $1.75M they could squeeze in the $6M on Duchene correct?

Treliving stated goal scoring was going to keep him up at night. Duchene is the best goal scorer on the trade market. No doubt he is staying close to it.

Lastly the Avs have had a weird affinity with Flames players under Sakic. Perhaps that overvaluing would continue in this deal?
Maybe for Brouwer but Stajan would waive I think. There's an increased role for him there.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #2449
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those were all high picks, of which we have none in the next few years.

I know all about Fox. He's still a ways away from cracking a roster if he ever does. It's still a very underwhelming proposal.
Agree to disagree. I don't think the Avs want picks for Duchene and a team is not giving up an elite prospect for him.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #2450
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hate agreeing with GoJetsGo but the Avs would seriously hang up the phone and laugh at Ferland, Fox, and Gillies for Duchene. A third line RWer and two long shot prospects for Duchene?

If that's all it took they'd have traded him long time ago.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #2451
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Agree to disagree. I don't think the Avs want picks for Duchene and a team is not giving up an elite prospect for him.
I think a first is very likely to be a part of the deal, in addition to another valuable piece or pieces, all of which will likely be more established than Ferland/Fox Gillies. Agree to disagree indeed, as I said... that is a very underwhelming offer.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #2452
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on point of view. As time goes on, I think the value goes down and Sakic takes less. Maybe everyone else made offers and he said no and they moved on so now he's stuck holding the grenade. I"m willing to bet he gets a lot less than what most think.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #2453
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I hate agreeing with GoJetsGo but the Avs would seriously hang up the phone and laugh at Ferland, Fox, and Gillies for Duchene. A third line RWer and two long shot prospects for Duchene?

Fox can be swapped with any Flames D prospect Valimaki included. To say he is a long shot is underrated how high his stock has risen since being drafted.

3rd line winger and 2 long shot prospects. One way to spin it.

I can say a 6'2 25 year old winger signed for less than $2M who is big, mean, and has an elite shot. Ended the season on the first line. In addition they are getting a Dman who has the best ppg in the NCAA since Leetch and has performed well internationally for the US. Lastly a 6'5 goalie who rode incredible numbers to a national championship in the NCAA and had a very nice first pro season after recovering from injury.

My spin is over the top but yours sells the players short.

Again I have no idea what Aakic will take. He has overplayed his hand so I am very interested to seeing what he gets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #2454
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post

Speaking of things to laugh at.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #2455
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think a first is very likely to be a part of the deal, in addition to another valuable piece or pieces, all of which will likely be more established than Ferland/Fox Gillies. Agree to disagree indeed, as I said... that is a very underwhelming offer.
I wouldn't trade Fox for a 1st round pick in the 21-31 range.

I am interested to see what team coughs up more valuable pieces to land a player that is a UFA in 2 years coming off a terrible season.

Flames are sending a possible starting goalie and top 4 D and a wongernwith top 6 upside. Also $8.5M of cash savings over the next 2 years.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #2456
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't trade Fox for a 1st round pick in the 21-31 range.

I am interested to see what team coughs up more valuable pieces to land a player that is a UFA in 2 years coming off a terrible season.

Flames are sending a possible starting goalie and top 4 D and a wongernwith top 6 upside. Also $8.5M of cash savings over the next 2 years.
There's really no point in discussing it any further when you label a prospect like Fox who has no pro experience a top four like that's what he should be valued at in a trade. It just doesn't work that way. Gillies had an average season in the AHL as much as I like him. He's far from being valued as a potential starter at this point.

Every team has players in their system like this they're high on.

Whether or not you'd trade Fox for a first round pick is irrelevant. I said there are teams that can beat that offer (player wise) *in addition to* a first. We can't do that.

It's really pie in the sky at this point unless something out of left field happens. Which I'll say, is where that Ferland / Fox / Gillies offer situates.

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 09-14-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #2457
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Hey man, i love Ferland as much as anybody but this is the year he can prove hes a top 6 winger. Up till now hes proven hes about a 3rd liner (with lots of potential). Hence getting 1.75m/per

Last edited by Samonadreau; 09-14-2017 at 04:25 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #2458
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be all in on buying low on Duschene if you actually are able to buy low on him. If the Avs want a price that reflects his potential and not his actual performance then it would not make sense. I'd also have to learn how to spell his name correctly - so there's that.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #2459
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Until Ferland puts up offensive numbers away from the two highest-paid players on the team, he's just that - a 3rd line winger. I love Ferly and everything he brings, but he might as well be Joe Colborne for all the offense he generates by himself.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #2460
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund and Brodie

For

Duchene, 2018 2nd, 2019 1st

Closed Thread