Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #21
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Why do people care about this? What do dancing hot girls have to do with the hockey game that we just watched? This is silly. Stop posting these types of photos/gifs and the problem is solved. Just stop posting them or put them in NSFW tags.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #22
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Need to add "micro-infractions" to the rules list, anything that may or may not be offensive to anyone, may or may not be frowned upon. Easy as pie!
Old 11-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #23
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simplest is to hide all images in click tags, not as discretion of user but as default for forum.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #24
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Why do people care about this? What do dancing hot girls have to do with the hockey game that we just watched? This is silly. Stop posting these types of photos/gifs and the problem is solved. Just stop posting them or put them in NSFW tags.
Just stop with gifs in general (The star trek one, Clint Eastwood one)
Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #25
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Honestly? This is a little over the top from the mod team. That pic is far from explicit, and if that is offending people, I would suggest the internet will be a rough place for such delicate sensibilities.

Slippery slope over moderating a community to appease a couple "offended" parties.
The thing about slippery slopes is they slope in both directions. I could just as easily argue that the slope is the other direction, no matter what is allowed people will push the envelope into more and more risque stuff (which actually does happen).

CP isn't society, CP isn't the Internet as a whole, how we choose to moderate a forum that we want to be inclusive isn't a commentary on how society should be run or how the Internet should be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #26
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The thing about slippery slopes is they slope in both directions. I could just as easily argue that the slope is the other direction, no matter what is allowed people will push the envelope into more and more risque stuff (which actually does happen).

CP isn't society, CP isn't the Internet as a whole, how we choose to moderate a forum that we want to be inclusive isn't a commentary on how society should be run or how the Internet should be.
That is a fair comment back, as I agree, people will always try and push the envelope. I'm not really comparing CP to society.

It seems there are 3 camps on this:
1) Those that are actually offended by the .gif Stryker posted
2) Those that hate .gifs in general in the PGT
3) Those that are not offended/don't mind

If it is going to be one way or the other I think it needs to be pretty black & white.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #27
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why people have such a hard time understanding the concept of NSFW. It doesn't mean nudity, or obscenity, simply that it's not safe for work.

I'm in a professional environment that has really no issue with me viewing CP. But when GIFs like that pop up, I do have to scroll through them quickly because they are not appropriate in my professional environment. If I left my computer on this page, no one in my office is batting an eye, if I leave it open with the GIF in question and head out for a coffee, it's not out of the realm of possibility that I have a meeting with HR when I get back or the possibility of having CP blocked at my work.

I've never reported the GIF as I thought the mods had drawn the line on it already, but I'm actually glad with their response. All anyone has to do is click a button to see the woman jumping. We are not heading towards mandatory burkas because of that.

And people bringing up swimwear and bikinis at the beach...again, NSFW. How many professional office environments do you go to that have woman showing up in bikinis or have pictures of women in swimwear on the wall? Not all of us work in a garage where that may be acceptable. Again, it's inappropriate for most professional work environments, but no one is batting an eye at it at the beach.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #28
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Why do people care about this?
Two reasons:

1. The demonization and censorship of women with sex appeal is regressive and makes for a worse society.

2. The threads are more enjoyable with eye candy.

The second is not a big deal. The first is. Puritanism needs to be challenged to limit its influence.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #29
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Honestly? This is a little over the top from the mod team. That pic is far from explicit, and if that is offending people, I would suggest the internet will be a rough place for such delicate sensibilities.

Slippery slope over moderating a community to appease a couple "offended" parties.
I don't think it is about offending people. It is about maintaining a consistent user experience across the board. From time to time, some threads are given more leeway, the funny pic/video thread for example, but in general, no threads should contain images that might be considered NSFW. Obviously it isn't perfect and can never be 100% consistent.

The fact so many people are up in arms ITT and in the PGT is mind boggling (not necessarily saying you are one of these people). Discuss it, debate it, compare the merits of it, but holy cow man, how does anyone start to get all uppity and insult the mod team because they ***gasp*** put an image behind spoiler tags! Oh the huge manatee.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #30
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
but in general, no threads should contain images that might be considered NSFW.
Except that's not even what the moderation team wants. They are okay with (certain) NSFW images, GIFS and videos, like the one in question, as long as they are labelled and put in a tag.

How pathetic is it that so many users are up in arms because they have to go through the daunting task of clicking a button to see those images? There's really no downside to the request, those that want to see them can, those that don't or can't aren't subjected to them. People complaining are really pathetic beings in my opinion.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:15 AM   #31
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it is about offending people. It is about maintaining a consistent user experience across the board. From time to time, some threads are given more leeway, the funny pic/video thread for example, but in general, no threads should contain images that might be considered NSFW. Obviously it isn't perfect and can never be 100% consistent.

The fact so many people are up in arms ITT and in the PGT is mind boggling (not necessarily saying you are one of these people). Discuss it, debate it, compare the merits of it, but holy cow man, how does anyone start to get all uppity and insult the mod team because they ***gasp*** put an image behind spoiler tags! Oh the huge manatee.
I really hope I am not coming off as insulting the mod team. That is the farthest thing I want to do here. Just trying to discuss openly (away from the actual game thread)

My issue with the nsfw tag is that I would be hesitant to a) click on most nsfw tags because I feel that is where the envelope could be pushed and you have no idea what someone may put behind there until it is clicked b) would hope that the PGT does not become a bunch of clicked spoilers to see the same 20 .gifs we have all seen for 10 years.

The slippery slope part is trying to determine what is acceptable/not acceptable as a baseline. As Photon said there will always be those who want to push boundaries. Let's be honest, that .gif is no worse then what you see in the paper for a Sunshine Girl (Do they even still have this? I don't know) or a cheerleader at any football or sporting event.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #32
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Puppet guys game day posts regularly depict extreme violence which is also against the guidelines.
Even with how stupid this argument would have been regardless. You are aware that Puppet_Guy does us the courtesy and spoilers his pictures right?

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...40#post6445940

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...06#post6442606

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...28#post6438028

Exactly what the mod team has asked to be done in the situation that has you up in arms.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:21 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Except that's not even what the moderation team wants. They are okay with (certain) NSFW images, GIFS and videos, like the one in question, as long as they are labelled and put in a tag.

How pathetic is it that so many users are up in arms because they have to go through the daunting task of clicking a button to see those images? There's really no downside to the request, those that want to see them can, those that don't or can't aren't subjected to them. People complaining are really pathetic beings in my opinion.
I think you are missing the point.

People are "up in arms" that a celebrating attractive female needs to be put behind tags, but an attractive male giving a thumbs up, or a half naked Patrick Swayze (heart throb) pumping his hips doesn't need to be put in tags. Why the double standard? The intentions are good, but are the methods sending the wrong message?

If we de facto only allow attractive males, ugly females and animals in celebratory gifs and no attractive females in an effort to appease a small minority, the message that is getting sent is that female are celebrations are "bad" and need to be censored. Males only please.

I think all gifs should be allowed that follow the current guideline on nudity and extreme violence, etc. I think extra censorship is bad.

If your workplace isn't a good place to be viewing a PUBLIC forum wherein you may come across something that some random stranger on the internet has posted, it shouldn't be up to the mod team (or the individual poster for that matter), to protect you from your boss. Get off CP at work, or view it on your phone while you are taking a dump like a civilized human.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #34
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

If we de facto only allow attractive males, ugly females and animals in celebratory gifs and no attractive females in an effort to appease a small minority, the message that is getting sent is that female are celebrations are "bad" and need to be censored. Males only please.

n.
Let's just take care of this one in very clear terms.
Scantily clad men or women, "ugly" or "attractive". should be put behind NSFW tags.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #35
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

People are "up in arms" that a celebrating attractive female needs to be put behind tags, but an attractive male giving a thumbs up, or a half naked Patrick Swayze (heart throb) pumping his hips doesn't need to be put in tags. Why the double standard? The intentions are good, but are the methods sending the wrong message?
No people are up in arms because they don't get to see a girl jump up and downs with her breast jiggling without clicking a tag now. There's a reason it's posted as a GIF and not a picture. I would hope the mods ask for the same discretion with any celebratory GIFs with cocks flinging around in a thong. But let's not pretend that everyone complaining is looking out for the best interests of women here lol.

Quote:
If your workplace isn't a good place to be viewing a PUBLIC forum wherein you may come across something that some random stranger on the internet has posted, it shouldn't be up to the mod team (or the individual poster for that matter), to protect you from your boss. Get off CP at work, or view it on your phone while you are taking a dump like a civilized human.
You're mistaken on public. It's a private forum. And the mod team is doing their best to keep it safe for work for me and enjoyable for others who don't want to be subjective to that type of content, and I thank them for it. What a terrible argument.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-06-2017 at 09:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #36
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
No people are up in arms because they don't get to see a girl jump up and downs with her breast jiggling without clicking a tag now. There's a reason it's posted as a GIF and not a picture. I would hope the mods ask for the same discretion with any celebratory GIFs with cocks flinging around in a thong. But let's not pretend that everyone complaining is looking out for the best interests of women here lol.

You're mistaken on public. It's a private forum. And the mod team is doing their best to keep it safe for work, and I thank them for it. What a terrible argument.
It is a public forum though, anyone can view and read threads.

A true private forum could only be viewed by members.

Not sure why we are arguing this though.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #37
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

I think all gifs should be allowed that follow the current guideline on nudity and extreme violence, etc. I think extra censorship is bad.

Can we just admit that the whole "i'm protecting women's rights by posting scantily clad and or suggestive pics/gifs" is total ####ing BS?

Might be one of the most hilarious misdirection arguments I've ever heard.

The suggestion that banning suggestive pics/gifs with attractive women is somehow discriminatory is beyond stupid. It's disingenuous to the point of being insulting to all of our collective intelligence.

Maybe, just maybe, the reason why mods are focusing on the sexy women is because no friggin gifs have ever been posted of scantily clad men! And like the mods have said, if for some reason half naked men dancing was the way we celebrated in the PGTs, those would be banned too. By banned I mean put behind NSFW tags.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #38
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Which posts have unattractive women that aren't being removed?
So if we post a photo of Hilary Swank, would it get a nsfw tag or would it not?

Old 11-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #39
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can we just admit that the whole "i'm protecting women's rights by posting scantily clad and or suggestive pics/gifs" is total ####ing BS?
Hey now, CroFlames is a modern day Rosa Parks fighting for civil liberties!
Old 11-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #40
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Hey now, CroFlames is a modern day Rosa Parks fighting for civil liberties!
This is seriously getting over the top. What are you adding with this?
Closed Thread