Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #481
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianPL/..._concepts_for/

A guy drafted up some kits and posted them on Reddit. I don't expect the real kits to be nearly as nice, but damn these are sweet.
Calgary kit should have some elements of black and red. Slick, but too monochromatic IMO.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #482
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Calgary kit should have some elements of black and red. Slick, but too monochromatic IMO.
Naw, it shouldn't.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #483
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

http://canpl.ca/article/cavalry-foot...premier-league

Black and red are part of their colour scheme. So yes, they should.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #484
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Sounds like Tommy is working on CPL contracts already...

https://www.thestar.com/calgary/2018...-wheeldon.html

If I had to guess, I'd say Ledgerwood, Carducci, Adekugbe, Pasquotti, Zator and Serban play with Cavalry next year.
Do you think Labbe will try out?
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 PM   #485
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I paid the $50 deposit for Cavalry tickets on Monday and I got #896.
Damn..
Considering that each $50 deposit is allowed to buy up to 8 tickets, there is a chance I may be out of luck.
What is the capacity of the stadium going to be anyway?
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #486
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
Damn..
Considering that each $50 deposit is allowed to buy up to 8 tickets, there is a chance I may be out of luck.
I wouldn't worry too much. There will be some people that put the deposit down but won't buy any tickets and certainly most people aren't going to buy anywhere near 8 tickets. I'd guess an average of 2 per membership. Capacity I think is somewhere around 4000 but there is probably a more accurate number somewhere in this thread.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #487
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If they sold out season tickets I think they would just additional seating. The stadium model is meant to be scalable.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #488
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Damn..
I heard 5,000 seats?

I'm #286 and plan on buying three seats - I wonder how many others will be buying multiple seats as well.

If you want, you can buy my number in line (#286). I'll sell it to you for $17,000.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #489
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure that most people that do buy will end up buying at least 2 seats. Some may also wait for game pack options if a full season commitment is too much.

I put my name down (#249) but I'm not yet sure whether I'll be doing a full or partial season, getting 2 or 3 seats, and maybe getting a couple of family or friends to also join. In all honesty, I think that a full season might be too much of a commitment to me, but I would like an option similar to what the Flames do with game packs. Pick the dates, put them in the calendar, and I'm committed to go. Best laid plans to attend x matches in the summer are going to be competing with other activities unless you've made a financial commitment to go.

Either way, as RM14 has already mentioned, it would seem that the sky is the limit in terms of capacity. If they sell 5k seats to season and package tickets (dare to dream) and they have to add 2k more to ensure more casual game day fans have a place to come and check it out, then that's a nice problem to have.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #490
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I heard 5,000 seats?

I'm #286 and plan on buying three seats - I wonder how many others will be buying multiple seats as well.

If you want, you can buy my number in line (#286). I'll sell it to you for $17,000.
Those are rookie numbers.
$17k won't cover your flights in from Auckland every weekend.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #491
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the info guys, I'm not too worried but was somewhat pleasantly surprised that there are this many deposits already
Old 08-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #492
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those are rookie numbers.
$17k won't cover your flights in from Auckland every weekend.
That would suck if I lived in Auckland then. Phew!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #493
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Do you think Labbe will try out?
I do not. She has signed with a club in Sweden, and given the increase in playing level she likely would not be good enough to warrant a contract.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #494
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

There will be another "Al Classico" set of friendlies between Calgary and Edmonton in the fall. Presumably it will be like the ones in the spring; Calgary Foothills vs FC Edmonton's academy. The games will also serve as a first dry run for the stadium at Spruce Meadows. The Calgary leg will be in September and the Edmonton leg will be in October.

Tommy and I have been playing phone tag over the weekend, but when we connect and I get more details, I will post them here.

Last edited by shermanator; 09-04-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Official date / time will come out next week.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #495
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just connected with Tommy. Official details will come out on the friendlies next week.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:18 PM   #496
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ottawa Fury publicly state that they will be staying in USL for 2019. For the most part, fan reaction is quite negative to the move. They've taken a pretty big hit in attendance this year as fan apathy has set in due to the move to USL and lack of results.

I've heard from a few people with more connections than I have that the CSA will not sanction them if they stay in USL. Personally, I hope the CSA gets the balls to do it, but I would not be surprised if they were sanctioned, nor is it the end of the world if they are.

https://twitter.com/OttawaFuryFC/sta...01958267711491

Old 09-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #497
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The CSA refusing to sanction Ottawa Fury would be petty and narrow minded, imnsho. The team is an existing team with existing contracts in an existing league. Trying to bully it into the CPL because it isn't a major player like Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver would be a bad look.

And if the CPL planned on Ottawa being the eighth team with no backup plan, then that's on league organizers.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #498
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Ottawa Fury publicly state that they will be staying in USL for 2019. For the most part, fan reaction is quite negative to the move. They've taken a pretty big hit in attendance this year as fan apathy has set in due to the move to USL and lack of results.

I've heard from a few people with more connections than I have that the CSA will not sanction them if they stay in USL. Personally, I hope the CSA gets the balls to do it, but I would not be surprised if they were sanctioned, nor is it the end of the world if they are.

https://twitter.com/OttawaFuryFC/sta...01958267711491
CSA better not be that short-sighted. For all we know, this league could fold in one season like the CBL. Maybe when CPL has a few successful seasons, they can brow beat established franchises in established leagues to fall in line with the domestic league or lose sanctioning. Right now, CPL is div 1 in name only, and may end up being only marginally better than PDL, let alone USL, depending on how much they are willing to play for decent players.

My concern is that the Fury have a 7 digit payroll, and CPL is cheaping out on 500-700k caps (like Pacific FC has been saying) which would likely be a non starter for the Fury since it means cuts. I think it also means the CPL won't attract much for talent or many known NT players. If there are ownership groups that can't (or won't) afford a 1.5-2m payroll (with or without designated players), I'm concerned this league will be a bit of a joke when it comes to attracting more than die hards and friends/family. No one is expecting MLS level spending, but its got to exceed USL to be serious.

I hope I'm wrong and the league announces a reasonable salary cap and an ability to draw in some known players in Canada or abroad.

Last edited by Thunderball; 09-06-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #499
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
CSA better not be that short-sighted. For all we know, this league could fold in one season like the CBL. Maybe when CPL has a few successful seasons, they can brow beat established franchises in established leagues to fall in line with the domestic league or lose sanctioning. Right now, CPL is div 1 in name only, and may end up being only marginally better than PDL, let alone USL, depending on how much they are willing to play for decent players.
You hit the nail on the head.

There is zero chance they will be on par with USL in the first few years.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #500
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ottawa should join then. They could rack up some championships in the first few years if they think they are so good!
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote