Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Nexus Tablet thread

Didn't want to clutter the Nexus 5 thread with this but rumors are buzzing that Google has "accidentally leaked" a photo of what appears to be a 8" tablet:

Doesn't match either Nexus 7 versions and appears to be too small to be the new Nexus 10.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ergh. That lack of bezel on top disturbs me. It would be on the edge of difficult to use on landscape.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, if we could just go ahead and reopen the Nexus thread, that would be great.

Agreed on the bezel part. A tablet is fine with wider bezels. It makes sense for them.

Google is such a funny company. One of my favourite YouTube tech reviewers tweeted about this image saying he wasn't sure if Google was stupid or just trolling everyone when they do stuff like this.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I really liked using the new Nexus 7 when I got to for a week back in September. If spending cash on a tablet were in the cards, I'd go this route.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I own both the 2012 and 2013 versions of the Nexus 7. Never did get a 10". However, that might change depending on what comes out.

If you're not tied down to the Apple environment, then the Nexus tablets are your best bang for your buck.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a case for the 2013 Nexus 7? I'm looking for something that has velcro so that you can adjust the screen on a slant to whatever degree you want.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got a Nexus 7 last week. Although I really like it, it may very well be going back to the store if this rumour has legs. I find the 7" screen a little tight. 8" might be the sweet spot.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #8
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm having a hard time believing that's real to be honest. I bet it's just a photoshop error with the advertising department. While the grey notifications line up with 4.4 the menu being all black at the bottom doesn't.

Personally I've found 7" to be just right for me. I've got big hands and when using the iPad mini it was just too big for one hand holding, but another option is never a bad thing. Surprised we haven't seen a Nexus 10 refresh.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I picked up a first gen Nexus 7 last night, 16GB for $80. What a great little device, love the size. I bought for the kids but I might need to get a second one for myself or let the kids continue to use the craptacular ipad I have and can't stand.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I guess I understand the appeal of the 8" screen, but the 7" is about as big as it could be while still being useful in one hand. Not to mention it fits in my coat pocket. I doubt I'll end up with one of these.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Just to be clear, the 8" screen is about 30% bigger than the 7" screen.
You can calculate it yourself here: http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi

However the extra portability could easily be a deciding factor. I just feel it's important to keep in mind that extra inch is not insignificant.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
just feel it's important to keep in mind that extra inch is not insignificant.
That's what she said?

Sorry...too easy...had to.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Judging by the photo it seems that most of the screen size enlargement is the top and bottom bezel reduction compared to the nexus 7. I think if this 8" tablet is real then it will have similar dimensions to the nexus 7 (perhaps just a little bit wider)
Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I left my Nexus 7 in the car one day and while the tablet itself is fine, the nice folio type case I have melted enough that it doesn't hold onto the tablet anymore

Standby battery time is poor, but has anyone had any problem with battery discharge while the tablet is completely off? I charged it for use on vacation, didn't end up using it at all, when I got back and tried to turn it on the battery was completely drained.

Starting to wonder if I have defective battery or something.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I left my Nexus 7 in the car one day and while the tablet itself is fine, the nice folio type case I have melted enough that it doesn't hold onto the tablet anymore

Standby battery time is poor, but has anyone had any problem with battery discharge while the tablet is completely off? I charged it for use on vacation, didn't end up using it at all, when I got back and tried to turn it on the battery was completely drained.

If it was completely off, then something is wrong. Perhaps the battery got damaged in the heat.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Good point, I was pretty sure I've had this problem before the case got messed up, but maybe not.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I packed away my tablet (fully charged, powered off) about 2 weeks before I moved. When I powered it up about a week after moving the battery was dead....I got the "Hey stupid, plug this f'n thing in and charge it" symbol. Was pretty surprising that the battery could/would drain while off.

On the plus side, I dropped the thing into the hot tub a few days back (Genius that I am....) and despite being completely submerged for at least 7-10 seconds it works perfectly. Much more rugged than I would have expected.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #18
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Can anyone recommend a case for the 2013 Nexus 7? I'm looking for something that has velcro so that you can adjust the screen on a slant to whatever degree you want.
I ended ordering the Poetic Slimline case for my Nexus 7:
http://www.amazon.ca/Poetic-Slimline.../dp/B008NMCPTQ

Seems to be a popular choice. Apparently it went on sale for $5 in September. I'll provide a review once received.
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Received the case and it is indeed slim. Seems well built but time will tell. The magnets are almost a little too strong. Fits very snug. Looks good. Fake leather but still nice. Felt on the inside. Only one stand position but expected being this slim. Not much else to say really. A very nice case...great price...happy with my purchase...no complaints.

What I should have ordered along with this case was a Qi charger. Any recommendations out there for a decent one and where to get it?

This one has decent reviews: http://www.amazon.com/standard-Wirel.../dp/B00E7NEZXE

Off to install kit kat 4.4...likely be back to ask how to unbrick a Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

hmm just installed kit kat 4.4 on my nexus 7 2013, so far disappointing

no transparent bars on the bottom and top ... no "Ok Google" voice activation on the home screen

feels very like Jellybean... was expecting more like the Nexus 5 stuff we were hearing about