Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #1941
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Flabbibulin, I was having some indexing issues and brought my bike into The Bike Shop south location during the week. The tech was awesome and had the bike shifting awesome in 30 minutes. You don't have to get an appointment if it might be a minor issue. I didn't buy my bike there either so that wasn't an issue.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #1942
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #1943
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone backing this? It actually doesn't look too bad...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n-bike-helmets
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #1944
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems kinda gimmicky to the level of something that you would see some klutz stumbling with hand signals and lights on a late-night informercial.

Don’t most people ride with their lights on their helmets already? This doesn’t seem like the product that needs this kind of convergence. The more things you combine together the less reliable it becomes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #1945
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it is a horrible idea. You should replace your helmet every 5 years or so anyway. I'd love to have turn signals on my commuter. I'd still use a handlebar and tail light, but I currently use a head mounted light as well, so this would replace that.

My one big concern is that the lipo is very well protected. I wouldn't want to take a fall, puncture the lipo, and be laying no the ground while the thing catches fire.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #1946
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think I would want to pay more than a the cost price of a regular helmet for it though. You replace your helmet every 5 years, not your lights.

Is the back of the helmet really the best place for signals anyway? Only helps traffic / cyclists behind you. It does nothing to, for example to warn cyclists approaching so you’re still doing hand signals.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #1947
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, my lights with lipos are probably done after 5 years, and my tail light only lasted about that long. It's not even that expensive at $100 for a helmet.

Yes, had signals still need to be used for oncoming traffic, but often you want to warn a vehicle or cyclist behind you, and want both hands on your bars for braking.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #1948
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

The price is the real key for that thing IMO. There's nothing super innovative about helmet mounted front and rear lights, and one can achieve a light helmet with both of those. The indication system is somewhat helpful, but not super novel.

However, at 100 beans, that's a pretty good package, though I'd be curious how much it costs with MIPS and the visor included (in CAD). I'd lose interest pretty quick past $150.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:27 PM   #1949
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i took my mtn bike into the bike shop south this morning and they looked at it and adjusted the shifting a bit this morning. i was in and out in 20m.

i was stunned though at how little stock they really had. They told me they got in a 100 bikes the other day and they will not build them until they have confirmed sales.

We are off to kelowna next week. i just want to find dry weather to ride.

I'd have to see that helmet beofre committing to it. i wiuld want to know how bright the headlight is.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #1950
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I'd have to see that helmet beofre committing to it. i wiuld want to know how bright the headlight is.
That was my worry too - couldn't find any mention of how many lumens it is.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #1951
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
That was my worry too - couldn't find any mention of how many lumens it is.
As with any helmet mounted light, it better not be many lumens at all. My hope watching the kickstarter vid was that the front-facing light was solely to make the rider visible to cars, not to provide a light to allow the rider to see their surroundings better.

As a lot of the subjects in the video were clearly northern european (based on language spoken), I'll assume I'm right given the strict regulations about lights in many jurisdictions over there.

Cannot be stressed enough how dangerous, distracting and annoying bright helmet mounted lights are, and I say that as someone who up until covid biked to work for the better part of 8 months every year.
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #1952
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Stock is really depleted everywhere. I sold my car and the bike rack doesn’t fit the new one. I’ve been looking around and can’t find a trunk mount rack anywhere.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #1953
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Flabbibulin, I was having some indexing issues and brought my bike into The Bike Shop south location during the week. The tech was awesome and had the bike shifting awesome in 30 minutes. You don't have to get an appointment if it might be a minor issue. I didn't buy my bike there either so that wasn't an issue.
Thanks for the tip, and more praise for Bike Shop south. In and out in 20 minutes, including the line. Quick and cheap, bike is running like a dream.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #1954
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey so my daughter's mountain bike has lever brakes that squeeze onto a rim. Like the ones in this video:

I swear I've done everything I can to adjust her brakes, but the hand lever is still maxing out against her handle grip and not giving enough stopping power. Is it possible I need a new cable? New pads? What's the next step if this is happening?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #1955
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey so my daughter's mountain bike has lever brakes that squeeze onto a rim. Like the ones in this video:

I swear I've done everything I can to adjust her brakes, but the hand lever is still maxing out against her handle grip and not giving enough stopping power. Is it possible I need a new cable? New pads? What's the next step if this is happening?
Is it lack of travel or cable stretch?

If the brake pads aren’t close enough to the rim you don’t have enough travel. So if you pull the lever and the brake doesn’t engage the rim until have way or more through the range of travel you need to adjust the pads closer.

If the brakes engage early when you pull the lever but don’t really increase in stopping power as you apply more force you have a stretch problem.

If it’s stretch replace the cable otherwise it’s adjustments.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #1956
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Okay, great. Thanks so much. Stretch problem for sure then.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:22 PM   #1957
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any advice on shifting issues for a new (<2 months) bike? I've brought it back to the shop I bought it from 3 times already but it keeps slipping gears on the rear derailleur. Shimano 105, so I was expecting a decent bike... I'm not sure what to do short of watching some YouTube videos and just trying myself...
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #1958
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bow Cycle opened a new shop in the East Village. They are selling e-bikes. My son works there a few days a week.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #1959
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
Any advice on shifting issues for a new (<2 months) bike? I've brought it back to the shop I bought it from 3 times already but it keeps slipping gears on the rear derailleur. Shimano 105, so I was expecting a decent bike... I'm not sure what to do short of watching some YouTube videos and just trying myself...
I've had such bad luck with the shops tuning my bikes. Last year I brought all of my family members' bikes to a shop and they came back no better than when I dropped them off ($400 later). I'm just learning how to do bike maintenance myself now to save the hassle of going to a shop only to be disappointed. YouTube is insanely helpful - these bike guys make really informative, easy-to-follow tutorials so it's probably worth trying that.

This week I've straitened a wheel (really easy to fiddle with the spokes to do this), adjusted my wife's derailleur because her chain kept falling off, and I'm fixing my daughter's brakes (cable just arrived last night so I'll put that in tonight). Never done bike stuff before and all this has been super manageable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 08:38 AM   #1960
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
New cables may stretch which causes the shifting issues due to a change in cable tension. Depending where you bought the bike, they shop may offer free tuneups to address the issue.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post: