Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2020, 10:12 PM   #901
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Why do you use dehumanizing language to talk about police officers. Saying CPS pig paints the entire CPS with that brush. But even if it were true that the entire force behaved in this manner using dehumanizing language to describe them only enhances the divide between the public and officers

It is not productive. Humans, regardless of actions, deserve to be treated with dignity for the mere fact that they are human.
I would use the language they used while attacking the 16 year old kid, but it would be caught by the censors and I would be banned.

If they don't want to be called thugs, they shouldn't have voted in a thug for their union president.

Calling a specific officer a pig, after he attacks a child and calls him a #####, is the most humanizing language I have for him that would not just be #####'d.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #902
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Why do you use dehumanizing language to talk about police officers. Saying CPS pig paints the entire CPS with that brush. But even if it were true that the entire force behaved in this manner using dehumanizing language to describe them only enhances the divide between the public and officers

It is not productive. Humans, regardless of actions, deserve to be treated with dignity for the mere fact that they are human.
Those four cops are pigs, they are a bunch of criminals assaulting a citizen. The CPS has a very bad recent history of this stuff. Including their gang boss, I mean union leader the all just backed. (At least he is retired now)

If the CPS doesn't want average citizens to view them as a criminal organization, maybe they should stop acting as one. Also this good cop BS went out the window, when they voted Kaminski back in while being charged with a crime, they all made it quite clear gang first, citizens second.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Krovikan; 07-06-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #903
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I would use the language they used while attacking the 16 year old kid, but it would be caught by the censors and I would be banned.

If they don't want to be called thugs, they shouldn't have voted in a thug for their union president.

Calling a specific officer a pig, after he attacks a child and calls him a #####, is the most humanizing language I have for him that would not just be #####'d.
It isn’t this incident in isolation. It’s every incident you use dehumanizing language to describe the police. When people read this type of language you immediately eliminate any common ground you might have with someone who typically believes that the police do good but agree that these incidents are clear crimes. Essentially you language is creating conflict and division. I don’t understand the purpose of it.

If that’s your goal fine.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #904
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

You've got a confirmation bias because we're talking about thug cops in a thread about thug cops for the most part. When it comes to other police incidents, especially ones not involving CPS, I often side with or at least respect the police. Keep in mind that there is not many news articles titled "Police officer does his job to satisfaction" because no one would care, or talk about it. Threads and incidents are largely left to the trash that plagues CPS.

But when you got a man sneaking up behind a 16 year old and attack him, smash his head on the car, call him a #####, and in doing so causes that 16 year old to have a criminal record, the absolute best he should be called is a pig.

Show me a CPS officer who condemned the officer of Kaminski, or prevented the actions of their fellow officers, and I'll gladly call them a good cop. But neither of those existed in the two situations we are talking about, so I'm not sure what that matters.

Remove the uniform and this is two guys breaking into a home, assaulting and kidnapping a sleeping woman for no reason or a bunch of goons attacking a 16 year old who had his hands in his pockets. These are thugs, these are goons, these are pigs.

It should be us vs them, there should be a divide, it is what I'm hoping for. "Us" should include the good police officers though.

Find me disparaging Kim Prodaniuk or any of the other 'good' police officers that CPS had, and you would have a point.

Now if insulting an officer who attacks a 16 year old with his hands in the pocket is also an insult on CPS and the rest of the officers, that says more about CPS than anything else. All the good police in CPS should hate this guy far far far more than you or I, and calling him something much worse.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-07-2020 at 12:12 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:14 AM   #905
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Sorry I thought we agreed that the word thug is wrong and racist or whatever? Wasn’t transplant99 getting eviscerated in that other thread full of lefties for using the word thug? So why does lefty Oling get free reign on the word? Is it allowed or isn’t it?

And a preemptive screw off to those already typing “its context” bs because that is exactly what confuses everyone all the time about all situations. People insinuating transplant is racist because he says it, but all of a sudden it’s okay if other people say it. I hate the double standards. N bomb has the same ridiculous double standards as do other words. Just make it clear for people so we can avoid the legitimate hurt feelings and actual racism.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:10 AM   #906
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm still waiting for resolution on the case of the 12 year old, hundred pound, autistic kid who had his head caved in a year and a half ago while in handcuffs. That one seems to have disappeared into the void too.
I would be very surprised if the report about this incident ever makes it into the media. While MBates can likely clarify/expound, I'm given to understand that if the victim/victim's family doesn't want/won't release the report to the public, it won't be released.

I suppose that one could FOIP it, if one really wanted to.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:13 AM   #907
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That article mentions the 16 year old was convicted after the body cam video was played in court. Like I get how the police seem to get away with assaults but how the hell is there a charge of assaulting an officer, let alone a conviction with that evidence? I’m really hoping he had a Lionel Hutz as a lawyer and this wasn’t a case of the prosecution and judge getting in on the trumped up charge. Very scary the only thing holding the legal system accountable seems to be social media videos.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #908
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Sorry I thought we agreed that the word thug is wrong and racist or whatever? Wasn’t transplant99 getting eviscerated in that other thread full of lefties for using the word thug? So why does lefty Oling get free reign on the word? Is it allowed or isn’t it?

And a preemptive screw off to those already typing “its context” bs because that is exactly what confuses everyone all the time about all situations. People insinuating transplant is racist because he says it, but all of a sudden it’s okay if other people say it. I hate the double standards. N bomb has the same ridiculous double standards as do other words. Just make it clear for people so we can avoid the legitimate hurt feelings and actual racism.
Ha ha ha. I have to admit this cancel culture is hard to keep up with as the goalposts are always changing. This is the kind of hypocritical stuff that makes the far left look like frauds.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #909
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

As was explained, thug is not inherently racist, but has been used as a replacement for the N word. It comes down to context. If you call any criminal a thug, you’re fine, if you just call black people thugs, that’s racially motivated.

Transplant (until he was called out and said Donald Trump was a thug) reserved the term exclusively for black people. And not just black criminals, but black protestors, black athletes, basically anyone black he didn’t like, even if they were the furthest thing from a criminal (in one case a college-educated and by all accounts upstanding black athlete with no criminal record he deemed a “thug”).

My opinion is that you can probably ignore the ridiculous things like “master bedroom” and all that bull####. But if you have terms and phrases that are racially motivated (you call someone ____ because of their race), drop em from your vocabulary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ha ha ha. I have to admit this cancel culture is hard to keep up with as the goalposts are always changing. This is the kind of hypocritical stuff that makes the far left look like frauds.
Erick, you said in the Canadian Politics thread you were “for racism, or against racism, there is no middle ground” but have also defended the racist term “redskins” as being ‘not racist’, to mention one of the many interesting race-related takes you’ve had.

I wouldn’t talk about frauds too loudly, someone might hear you. That said, I’m sure you can appreciate a middle ground from time to time.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 09:48 AM   #910
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
That article mentions the 16 year old was convicted after the body cam video was played in court. Like I get how the police seem to get away with assaults but how the hell is there a charge of assaulting an officer, let alone a conviction with that evidence? I’m really hoping he had a Lionel Hutz as a lawyer and this wasn’t a case of the prosecution and judge getting in on the trumped up charge. Very scary the only thing holding the legal system accountable seems to be social media videos.
I was reading that too.

Man...I hope theres some seriously compelling evidence that we're not privy to...like, did the cops catch him while he was kicking a baby or something?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:23 AM   #911
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I was reading that too.

Man...I hope theres some seriously compelling evidence that we're not privy to...like, did the cops catch him while he was kicking a baby or something?

Frankly baby kickers shouldn't be treated like that either.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #912
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I get called a Union thug all the time, nothing to see here in that context. Frankly I find names like lefty and righty more derogatory (but mostly silly)
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #913
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Not my accusation but I believe the issue brought up by others about Transplant99 was his consistent use of the word for black athletes and black citizens, specifically.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #914
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I get called a Union thug all the time, nothing to see here in that context. Frankly I find names like lefty and righty more derogatory (but mostly silly)
Your more of a Shill than a thug
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #915
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your more of a Shill than a thug
I’d say that would probably depend on who you ask
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #916
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since Check On Welfare calls have been in the news lately, and it feels like we get tons of them, I decided to have a look at some of the numbers for the last little while. They were pretty consistent, averaging 110 a day. I'm both surprised and not. This is a popular call type, as a lot of folks want police to check on a lot of things for them. But the average of 100-120 a day that went back for the last 2 months was pretty surprising in how consistent it was. I'd expected much more fluctuation day to day.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 07-07-2020 at 09:58 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #917
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was seeing some complaints about HAWCs flying overhead downtown lately. Apparently too much for some Sunnyside residents. Is there something going on with that? I don’t think I have seen anything usual where I live, though sometimes in the middle of the day they seem like they to a dozen or so really wide loops from just south of Nose Hill over to Panorama.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:37 PM   #918
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So I was seeing some complaints about HAWCs flying overhead downtown lately. Apparently too much for some Sunnyside residents. Is there something going on with that? I don’t think I have seen anything usual where I live, though sometimes in the middle of the day they seem like they to a dozen or so really wide loops from just south of Nose Hill over to Panorama.
Sunnyside residents are largely cyclists and if Lance Armstrong has taught us anything its that cyclists are untrustworthy and filthy liars who are on drugs.

They're just scared that HAWCS is going to bust their drug operations and illegal organ harvesting schemes.

Sunnyside residents resent HAWCS because they have things to hide! Lots of things!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #919
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live in the NE and like when HAWCS is flying around. If they're out there looking at suspicious behaviour, the extra eyes help me to feel more safe.

They're not only looking at suspicious behaviour/tracking suspected criminals though. A few years ago, they were circling overhead consistently looking for a lost child and announcing it over the speaker. That prompted a lot of people in the neighbourhood out looking for him on foot.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #920
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Since Check On Welfare calls have been in the news lately, and it feels like we get tons of them, I decided to have a look at some of the numbers for the last little while. They were pretty consistent, averaging 110 a day. I'm both surprised and not. This is a popular call type, as a lot of folks want police to check on a lot of things for them. But the average of 100-120 a day that went back for the last 2 months was pretty surprising in how consistent it was. I'd expected much more fluctuation day to day.
That reminds me, I had to call 911 in Calgary last week (nothing serious but found some missing teenagers the police were looking for) and the experience with the operator was extremely positive. Great work as always to you and all your co-workers WhiteTiger!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: