Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #881
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Yeah I am not sure what the point of that one is actually. Talking directly to Trump to make him paranoid?

I dont think he needs any help in acting like a thin skinned paranoid child.
About the last person on the planet we want to ramp up the paranoia on as well.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #882
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I think the Lincoln Project ads in general have been well done and had good messages that are hopefully taken to heart by moderate republicans. I feel this loyalty one was just a troll job aimed right at Trump. It's their money so I don't see a problem with it. If that becomes their whole strategy then they will burn through the credibility they have been building up.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #883
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I think the Lincoln Project ads in general have been well done and had good messages that are hopefully taken to heart by moderate republicans. I feel this loyalty one was just a troll job aimed right at Trump. It's their money so I don't see a problem with it. If that becomes their whole strategy then they will burn through the credibility they have been building up.
Remember that Trump is his own worst enemy. They are playing to his worst tendencies with the hope that he continues to make poor judgments that can be further exploited.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #884
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lincoln Project is secretly funded by Bloomberg to troll Trump as much as possible. He did say he's willing to burn $100M for ads against Trump.
Old 07-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #885
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
About the last person on the planet we want to ramp up the paranoia on as well.
I think this add is what a schizophrenic episode can be like. That whispering stuff was kind of terrifying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #886
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
I think this add is what a schizophrenic episode can be like. That whispering stuff was kind of terrifying.
Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one with that reaction! I don't know if I'd use the word "terrifying", but I found it extremely difficult to listen to that ad. The whispered repeating of words really bothered me for reasons I can't explain. It's like the audio equivalent of trypophobia.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #887
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
This is clearly targeting the ASMR republicans that are sitting on the fence

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #888
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Try playing Senua's Sacrifice with a good pair of headphones.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #889
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I mean that totally ignores the incredible disparity in foreign and trade policy, but ok.
There's nothing that Trump has done foreign policy-wise that is even close to the worst atrocities that went on under Reagan. Reagan was a monster. Trump is just an incompetent buffoon.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:20 PM   #890
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
There's nothing that Trump has done foreign policy-wise that is even close to the worst atrocities that went on under Reagan. Reagan was a monster. Trump is just an incompetent buffoon.
I was speaking of direction.

And I'd put handing the Kurds to Erdogan as right up there on the atrocious decision scale.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:24 AM   #891
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Reagan was an ineffectual President after the assassination attempt. The dudes in the background were running things.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:47 AM   #892
110%
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Reagan was an ineffectual President after the assassination attempt. The dudes in the background were running things.
Reagan was shot 2 months after his inauguration.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:58 AM   #893
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110% View Post
Reagan was shot 2 months after his inauguration.
and your point is?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #894
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Reagan and Bush Jr. were from the same mold, a personality to put in front of the cameras so the war hawks in DC could work unimpeded. The one saving grace of Trump is that his ego won't let him stand aside to let the competent monsters run the show. I think the 2020's are when America appears to be returning to form (assuming Trump loses), but then the 2030's are when things truly fall apart when the American public forgets about Trump and votes in the next Republican populist who isn't a blithering moron
Old 07-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #895
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was speaking of direction.

And I'd put handing the Kurds to Erdogan as right up there on the atrocious decision scale.
It's definitely up there, but Reagan's policies in Central and South America alone eclipse anything Trump has done, nevermind his absolute ####show policies in the Middle East.

I'd also probably argue that Reagan's economic policies sewered Americans far worse than anything Trump has implemented so far.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #896
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's definitely up there, but Reagan's policies in Central and South America alone eclipse anything Trump has done, nevermind his absolute ####show policies in the Middle East.

I'd also probably argue that Reagan's economic policies sewered Americans far worse than anything Trump has implemented so far.
The thing is, the statement was "The Republican party is the pretty much the same". My response was that it clearly wasn't, not that Reagan was awesome.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #897
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Different time, different place. Different issues. Communism/USSR was a real threat.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #898
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Reagan and Bush Jr. were from the same mold, a personality to put in front of the cameras so the war hawks in DC could work unimpeded. The one saving grace of Trump is that his ego won't let him stand aside to let the competent monsters run the show. I think the 2020's are when America appears to be returning to form (assuming Trump loses), but then the 2030's are when things truly fall apart when the American public forgets about Trump and votes in the next Republican populist who isn't a blithering moron
2030s? Four years of ineffective and/or damaging neoliberal/centrist policies from a Biden presidency all but assures Republicans are probably regaining control by 2024.

Trump has been an absolute gift to neoliberals because his antics have allowed them to pin most of the current issues in the U.S. on Trump, when in reality it's the previous 40-50 years of policies (you could argue the foreign policy nonsense dates back to the Truman administration) that have put the U.S. where it is today.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #899
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is, the statement was "The Republican party is the pretty much the same". My response was that it clearly wasn't, not that Reagan was awesome.
I guess, but that's largely when most of the neocons grabbed control of the party and started pushing it towards its current destination.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #900
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Different time, different place. Different issues. Communism/USSR was a real threat.
The USSR in the 80s was already in its death throes. Also not sure how that excuses Reagan's handling of Central/South America and the Middle East. The guy's foreign policy was a disaster.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread