Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #1941
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The screen on the watch isn’t large enough? How much bigger should it be? I thought 42mm was a pretty good size.

I like the 7 as an upgrade from the 5s. Thinner and larger screen without being obscenely large. Water resistant is nice. I was always a bit paranoid about taking photos around water and stuff before.

I saw 7 do sale in here that looked like a pretty good deal for the 256gb version depending on the condition and everything.
The watch is supposed to be the same size, but there will be a smaller bezel.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #1942
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The watch is supposed to be the same size, but there will be a smaller bezel.

Oh, I didn’t think the bezel was that big on the watch, I guess it is just an illusion with how the glass appears.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #1943
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still running my iPhone 5.

Feel free to mock me.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #1944
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still running an iPhone 6S+. Phone has been so good I haven't even thought about upgrading.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:13 AM   #1945
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For those of you wondering about the new iPhones:

- there will be 3 new models

- a 5.8" "refresh" of last year's iPhone X model.
  • New internals.
  • Same form factor.
  • Same dual camera.

- a 6.5" "Plus" version.
  • Top of the line.
  • Top specs.
  • Dual camera.

- a 6.1" "budget" model that will have a single camera and LCD display.
  • Speculation is that it'll come in at $200 to $300 LESS than the iPhone X.
  • Also in 3-4 colors.
  • THIS will be the big seller and great introduction into the Apple ecosystem if you're looking to change.

When can we expect this all to be announced? September.
My guess is either the 4th, 18, 24th or 25th.

Once again this year I got my hands on the high quality dummy units. The same units that case manufacturers use to test and fit their cases.

These dummies are based on leaked CAD renders. The source is reliable.

These are the same dummies that MKBHD, DetroitBorg and all the big tech YouTubers did videos on recently.

MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #1946
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the OLED screens a noticeable improvement?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #1947
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the "budget" model will start at $1000 CAD? Well then.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #1948
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

OLED screens are amazing, you can't tell the difference between black and the screen being off.

I probably wouldn't switch to a phone specifically just for an OLED screen alone, but it looks way better IMO.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 AM   #1949
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
  • Speculation is that it'll come in at $200 to $300 LESS than the iPhone X.
  • Also in 3-4 colors.
  • THIS will be the big seller and great introduction into the Apple ecosystem if you're looking to change.
When I think of entry model iPhone, the SE comes to mind. Are they not refreshing the SE at all?
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #1950
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
For those of you wondering about the new iPhones:
- there will be 3 new models
- a 5.8" "refresh" of last year's iPhone X model. - a 6.5" "Plus" version.
Fffffffffff--k that. The smallest phone is a 5.8" form factor, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
When I think of entry model iPhone, the SE comes to mind. Are they not refreshing the SE at all?
This. I was holding on dearly to my little 16 GB iPhone SE in hopes of getting a new model if/when it was released. In my opinion, it was the best iPhone form factor, but the battery on mine has degraded below 83% and although the screen is just fine, it's had some bumps and bruises on the bezel, and the low storage became cumbersome to deal with. So I just picked up a red iPhone 8, the last of the Home buttons iPhones.

I really can't stand this move to gestures they've done. When my 8 finally kicks the bucket in a few years, either Apple will have figured their stuff out, or I'll be (begrudgingly) switching platforms.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #1951
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
either Apple will have figured their stuff out, or I'll be (begrudgingly) switching platforms.
Oh yeah, they're totally bringing the SD card readers back in the laptops too.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #1952
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Don't be an idiot; I'm saying gestures on iOS when using the iPhone X are clunky (they are), and either they have them ironed out and better polished by the time I need another phone, or I'll move to another platform.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #1953
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Don't be an idiot;
I'm not being an idiot, I'm just not assuming they'll have the issues ironed out anytime soon considering they continue to make horrible choices with their laptops, even after publicly apologizing for some of the flaws. The removal of the SD slot, and the horribly executed touch bar for example.

A control like gestures should never have been clunky out of the gate, and if it was it should have delayed release. But they seem to just ram it through and hope that too many people don't switch.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #1954
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Are the OLED screens a noticeable improvement?
iPhone X was the first iPhone with an OLED (Samsung manufactured).
The average person can't tell the difference between OLED and LCD. Especially when it comes to iPhone quality.
The OLED in this new "budget" model is made by LG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So the "budget" model will start at $1000 CAD? Well then.
Speculation is it'll be around $899 or $999 CAD, thanks to the conversion/exchange rate from USD to CAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
OLED screens are amazing, you can't tell the difference between black and the screen being off.

I probably wouldn't switch to a phone specifically just for an OLED screen alone, but it looks way better IMO.
That they are! Android has had OLED for a while. My Samsung Galaxy S9+ has an amazing screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
No SE refresh. That was scrapped in May.

Quote:
LOL!
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrDJZak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #1955
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The newest rumour is the new OLED phones will support Apple Pencil. That would be great for me although the pencil is too big. Something the size of the s pen would be perfect.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #1956
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I’d love something in the SE size. I upgraded to an 8 a few months ago from an SE. something that was the size of an SE, with the screen the size of the whole phone like the X, would be an awesome form factor.

My biggest complaint with the 8 is that it’s too big. I have large hands, and I still cannot comfortably or reliably hold the phone in one hand and reach the entire screen with my thumb. I have dropped or almost dropped my phone many times as a result.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #1957
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I’d love something in the SE size. I upgraded to an 8 a few months ago from an SE. something that was the size of an SE, with the screen the size of the whole phone like the X, would be an awesome form factor.

My biggest complaint with the 8 is that it’s too big. I have large hands, and I still cannot comfortably or reliably hold the phone in one hand and reach the entire screen with my thumb. I have dropped or almost dropped my phone many times as a result.
I hate to break it to you, but I don't know that this is objectively true. I have an 8 Plus and I can easily hold it in one hand and reach the top of the screen with my thumb. An 8 (non plus, as you noted) my wife can do the same easily.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #1958
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
I hate to break it to you, but I don't know that this is objectively true. I have an 8 Plus and I can easily hold it in one hand and reach the top of the screen with my thumb. An 8 (non plus, as you noted) my wife can do the same easily.
Oh, but it is.

Double-tap your home button for me. Notice how the top of your phone display drops to about half-height? That's called "Reachability". It was introduced starting with the iPhone 6/6 Plus, and it was literally born of the fact that users would likely have difficulty reaching the entire screen with one hand.

Spoiler!

That manufacturers have en masse adopted various implementations of this functionality blows away any suggestion that phone screens these days aren't too big for comfortable one-handed use for most people.

I'm 5'11" and I don't have particularly small hands, and I concur with Thneed that the 8 is still too big -- though it'll have to do until Apple (PLEASE FFS) makes an updated SE form factor.

Holding the 8 with my right hand (pinky underneath to support the bottom of the device), if I try to tap the top-left screen control (eg: the little Bacon logo in BaconReader) without shifting my grip a lot, I usually end up being off enough that ~50% of the time I hit whatever is just beneath it. That's annoying and something I didn't need to do with the SE.

"Then just shift your grip."

Which means the entire body of an already svelte and slippery device moves, my pinky barely if at all continues to support the bottom of the device. This increases the odds of the damn thing slipping out of my hand. Putting on a case fixes the slippery complaint (maybe) at the cost of making the device bigger still, which means one-handed operation sucks even more now.

Quote:
I'm not being an idiot, I'm just not assuming they'll have the issues ironed out anytime soon considering they continue to make horrible choices with their laptops, even after publicly apologizing for some of the flaws. The removal of the SD slot, and the horribly executed touch bar for example.

A control like gestures should never have been clunky out of the gate, and if it was it should have delayed release. But they seem to just ram it through and hope that too many people don't switch.
Apologies, but I took your remark as a sarcastic quip suggesting I'm some sort of technology luddite. Safe to say I agree with everything you just said.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-15-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #1959
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Any reliable places to get a refurbished iPhone 6 or SE? My daughter (12) wants to move from Android to the dark side. Looking to get her something nice with a new battery. She's had her current Samsung for three years and it still looks brand new, so I don't want to get her an old scratched up phone that was somebody's daily driver since I know she'll take care of it.

I want to keep her on her current plan as it's only $30/month, which is why I want to buy a phone outright versus a hardware upgrade which would increase the price of the plan.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #1960
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Any reliable places to get a refurbished iPhone 6 or SE? My daughter (12) wants to move from Android to the dark side. Looking to get her something nice with a new battery. She's had her current Samsung for three years and it still looks brand new, so I don't want to get her an old scratched up phone that was somebody's daily driver since I know she'll take care of it.

I want to keep her on her current plan as it's only $30/month, which is why I want to buy a phone outright versus a hardware upgrade which would increase the price of the plan.
I think any store that sells them would charge a premium. If you got one used you can get a new battery from Apple for $35.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/ipho.../battery-power
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: