Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2024, 06:53 PM   #10541
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is it an accredited degree granting institution or is it like DeVry. Like if we are creating an educated work force while charging them full cost and getting 50 years of tax paying out of them that is about the best immigrant you can get. If it’s closer to human smuggling and having them work illegally to pay back loans from fake degrees then not so much.
It's a legit univeristy.

I did my undergrad there.

The men's soccer team won the USports national championship twice in the last 7 years. The women's soccer team has a national championship.

In terms of academics. The standard undergrad schools science, engineering, business, arts. They have a small MBA program, as well as B.Ed., Nursing, Public Health (as in food safety, inspections etc) and they're working at adding a medical school.

That said, when the foreign students cash cow blows up, I can see things going sideways and the univeristy becoming Dalhousie's Cape Breton campus.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:09 PM   #10542
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
You guys don't consume beer by boofing?

Then... ha... how... how do you consume beer?

That's how normal people consume it. Just ask Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh
I'm not looking that up. Not falling for that again. The Internet Ads I got were horrific.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 07:26 PM   #10543
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not looking that up. Not falling for that again. The Internet Ads I got were horrific.
What if the eighth time’s a charm though?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:50 AM   #10544
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10230624/...action-budget/

Liberals are apparently quite upset with Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow, where her new property tax levy may wake up Toronto folks that voting Liberal and supporting Liberal policies may actually have some negative consequences to them as well in forms of additional taxes and levies. A Liberal MP complaining that the city should look into savings is hilariously ironic.

Quote:
In the opening days of the budget process, the city’s budget chief warned that if the federal government didn’t commit to addressing the growing issue of shelter costs for refugees and asylum seekers, Toronto would have no choice but to increase taxes by an additional six per cent.

Calling it “the Federal Impacts Levy,” the tax is by design intended to elicit a federal response.

On Tuesday, Etobicoke Centre Liberal MP Yvan Baker responded to the threat angrily, taking a swing at Mayor Olivia Chow and accusing her of failing to find savings elsewhere.

“I’m outraged for a number of reasons. First, I’m outraged because if you have budget problems, the first thing you should do is look for savings,” Baker said. “Olivia Chow didn’t do that.”

City councillors have been quick to counter that the money the city received wasn’t enough at the time, and the needs have only grown since then. Outside a committee room, budget chief Shelley Carroll said the issue has been growing since the city first began engaging with the Trudeau government last spring. Hundreds of people fleeing persecution continue to arrive at Pearson airport, and Carroll pointed out that Toronto doesn’t have the jurisdiction to manage the influx.

“It’s now 5,800 (refugees) and it is growing every week and that is a direct response to federal actions and a federal policy,” Carroll said.

Coun. Gord Perks, the vice-chair of the budget committee, was much less patient in his response to Baker’s critique.

“Whether we’ve hit a nerve or we haven’t hit a nerve, I don’t much care,” he said.

“What I care about is that the federal responsibility take on the responsibility of people arriving in this country seeking refuge so that they have a chance at a decent life,” Perks said.
Unfortunately for Liberals, federal level doesn't control city taxes and levies and cannot name them with virtue signaling names like the Climate action incentive payment and pollution pricing, or air travelers security charge. According to 338Canada, Liberals still have 16 seats leaning Liberal in their stronghold. I am sure they will happily cheer on the Federal Impacts Levy. Should polls dip in Toronto the federal will suddenly throw the city a bone as they did the Maritimes, and I expect they will eventually send money the city's way to save face.

Yvan Baker's riding is one of the Toronto ridings leaning Conservative and expected to change, this surely won't help him

Last edited by Firebot; 01-17-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:57 AM   #10545
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/10230624/...action-budget/

Liberals are apparently quite upset with Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow, where her new property tax levy may wake up Toronto folks that voting Liberal and supporting Liberal policies may actually have some negative consequences to them as well in forms of additional taxes and levies. A Liberal MP complaining that the city should look into savings is hilariously ironic.

Unfortunately for Liberals, federal level doesn't control city taxes and levies and cannot name them with virtue signaling names like the Climate action incentive payment and pollution pricing, or air travelers security charge. According to 338Canada, Liberals still have 16 seats leaning Liberal in their stronghold. I am sure they will happily cheer on the Federal Impacts Levy. Should polls dip in Toronto the federal will suddenly throw the city a bone as they did the Maritimes, and I expect they will eventually send money the city's way to save face.
Dude, you need to back away from your partisan circles for a bit if you think a perfectly descriptive name like that is somehow virtue signalling. I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. Which virtue is being signaled? It's a security fee. For air travelers. Like it says...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:59 AM   #10546
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Dude, you need to back away from your partisan circles for a bit if you think a perfectly descriptive name like that is somehow virtue signalling. I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. Which virtue is being signaled? It's a security fee. For air travelers. Like it says...
And there is nothing wrong with the city of Toronto calling the levy the Federal Impacts Levy as it's a perfectly descriptive name

This means you agree with the city of Toronto's stance?

Labelling taxes with fancy names to make them more palatable to the public isn't a partisan take but a political take and a practice as old as time, not reserved to Liberals. Liberals just happen to be the current federal government and the ones mentioned are under their mandate and are open to current criticism. You can dig up 9 year old + virtue signaling Harper CPC taxes to your hearts content if you want and makes you feel better and deflect that Liberals are upset about Toronto's new levy label.

Last edited by Firebot; 01-17-2024 at 12:07 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-17-2024, 12:07 PM   #10547
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously the "Federal Impacts Levy" was meant to get the government attention, and it seems to have done just that. No, I don't have a problem with it(the demand) if one level of government is downloading costs to another without funding it. This seems like it falls under a federal responsibility, so they should step up or alter immigration policies.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:23 PM   #10548
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Obviously the "Federal Impacts Levy" was meant to get the government attention, and it seems to have done just that. No, I don't have a problem with it(the demand) if one level of government is downloading costs to another without funding it. This seems like it falls under a federal responsibility, so they should step up or alter immigration policies.
The name is stupid. When Smith does this we call it out.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:30 PM   #10549
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

When you ask yourself the question, "How could the Liberals be so stupid by allowing our immigration to get so out of control?"

IMO the answer is:

1. Immigrants tend to vote Liberal e.g. the 905

2. Maintaining the wealth effect. The demand for housing by immigrants keeps the house prices from collapsing, and high enough to make the owners feel wealthy.

However, their stupidity is backfiring on them because of the housing crisis, the affordability factor related to rising interest rates, and the complete mess in trying to adequately look after the excessive number of people.

The Conservatives and NDP are hesitant to bring this up, as they are afraid if they do, they will be judged to be racist, and will lose the immigrant vote.

just the way I see things
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:20 PM   #10550
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I keep saying it. We are not a serious country. And we're going to pay for have a dog & pony show in leadership positions for so long.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1747496131490455568
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 05:44 PM   #10551
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The GDP has barely moved, but with unprecedented population growth. Basically no planning at all beyond "higher population would solve the Boomer issue".
Old 01-17-2024, 06:01 PM   #10552
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The GDP has barely moved, but with unprecedented population growth. Basically no planning at all beyond "higher population would solve the Boomer issue".
So basically we've been in a recession on a per capita GDP basis for a long while now? Just masked by massive immigration to avoid "technical" recession definitions?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:27 PM   #10553
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I keep saying it. We are not a serious country. And we're going to pay for have a dog & pony show in leadership positions for so long.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1747496131490455568
lol. I'm sure there are countries way better than Canada the past 5 years but the US isn't one of them.

It's prob in your mind living in a crappy city like Winnipeg... lol
Old 01-17-2024, 08:07 PM   #10554
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t know where to post this.

You might not agree with what Jordan Peterson says but he makes good arguments in support of his right to free speech.

This is what happens after years of woke liberal rule.

https://apple.news/AoF7V0ErZTrKPirEEdmhT1g
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:41 PM   #10555
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, poor grifter has to abide by the rules and the training requirements of a professional body he voluntarily joined.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 08:42 PM   #10556
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Don’t know where to post this.

You might not agree with what Jordan Peterson says but he makes good arguments in support of his right to free speech.

This is what happens after years of woke liberal rule.

https://apple.news/AoF7V0ErZTrKPirEEdmhT1g
How has the “woke liberal rule” infringed on your ability to exercise free speech?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 08:45 PM   #10557
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

And really, a guy who has published this probably deserves to have his free speech curtailed:
Quote:
“I dreamed I saw my maternal grandmother sitting by the bank of a swimming pool, that was also a river. In real life, she had been a victim of Alzheimer’s disease, and had regressed, before her death, to a semi-conscious state. In the dream, as well, she had lost her capacity for self-control. Her genital region was exposed, dimly; it had the appearance of a thick mat of hair. She was stroking herself, absent-mindedly. She walked over to me, with a handful of pubic hair, compacted into something resembling a large artist’s paint-brush. She pushed this at my face. I raised my arm, several times, to deflect her hand; finally, unwilling to hurt her, or interfere with her any farther, I let her have her way. She stroked my face with the brush, gently, and said, like a child, “isn’t it soft?” I looked at her ruined face and said, “yes, Grandma, it’s soft.”― Jordan B. Peterson, Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:35 PM   #10558
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Why is it that every time someone says “You may not like what ____ says but he brings about a good point about…” the ____ is somehow always the biggest, dumbest clown imaginable and the … is the intellectual equivalent to baby pablum for bad boys with tummy troubles?

“Woke liberal rule” … jesus, imagine living inside that head every day.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 09:50 PM   #10559
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Years of woke liberal rule mean:

A provincial regulatory organization of industry peers deems it unprofessional and a violation of their ethics standards for you to identify as a member of their industry and belittle a client on a podcast and directs you to take professionalism training?

Quite the dystopia. What's next in this slippery slope? The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada will require anesthesiologists who always 'take a hit for themselves' undergo substance abuse counseling before they can get back in the OR? Is this the kind of regulatory overreach we want from our professional organizations?!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 10:02 PM   #10560
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok so none of you troubled by this. The specific circumstances. Ok.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post: