Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has stated his goal in coming back is to get a Stanley Cup ring to match Datsyuk's success of winning every type of championship. Right off the bat he's not likely interested in coming to a Canadian team and the fact he wants a cup cements it. In regards to viable destination Vegas would be an interesting landing spot as McPhee has never shied away from Russians.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #42
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kovalchuk has actually performed better this season and last season than in previous years though.

I don't see any issues with a 1 year no risk deal. What else are the Flames going to do with all that cap space for 1 season? We barely have any assets left because Treliving decided he'd rather trade it all away for underwhelming players.

His back will be up against the wall and he'll have to get creative. Signing a UFA will ironically be the more prudent move and Kovalchuk definitely has the skillset we desperately need. RH shot with a one timer and speed to burn. I could see him working out as well as Iggy did with the Bruins that 1 season.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #43
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Gulutzan would not use him properly on the PP.
Fixed that for ya.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:25 PM   #44
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Just for reference here is the list of right hand shot UFA forwards for next season:
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/f...a/desc/1/right
That is a pretty dismal list. What is the max amount we could throw at him for one season? It must be pretty decent. We don't have to worry about Tkachuk or Bennett contracts for one more year, if we can't land another centre I would be interested in throwing a max one year deal at him.

Edit:

My quick scribble calculation:

If we can get rid of Michael Stone and replace him with Andersson, and sign Jankowski to a deal at ~1.5 million, we could throw approx. 12.7 million for 1 year at him.

Gaudreau (6.75) - Monahan (6.375) - Kovalchuk (12.7)
Tkachuk (.925)- Backlund (5.35) - Frolik (4.3)
Bennett (1.95) - Jankowski (1.5) - Ferland (1.75)
Hathaway (.650)- Lazar (.950) - Brouwer (4.5)
(extra forward ~ .650)
48.65 million for forwards

Giordano (6.75)- Hamilton (5.75)
Brodie (4.650)- Hamonic (3.857)
Kulak (1) - Andersson (.755)
(extra d ~.650)
23.412 Million for D

Mike Smith ( 4.25)
Rittich (1)
5.25 million for G

Cap: 78 Mil
Buyouts: 904,167
Committed: 77.012
Total:77,916,167
Remaining: -83,833

Would an enormous contract be enough to bring him here for a season? Would it even be worth it for us?

Last edited by Monahammer; 03-19-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #45
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
That is a pretty dismal list. What is the max amount we could throw at him for one season? It must be pretty decent. We don't have to worry about Tkachuk or Bennett contracts for one more year, if we can't land another centre I would be interested in throwing a max one year deal at him.

Edit:

My quick scribble calculation:

If we can get rid of Michael Stone and replace him with Andersson, and sign Jankowski to a deal at ~1.5 million, we could throw approx. 12.7 million for 1 year at him.

Gaudreau (6.75) - Monahan (6.375) - Kovalchuk (12.7)
Tkachuk (.925)- Backlund (5.35) - Frolik (4.3)
Bennett (1.95) - Jankowski (1.5) - Ferland (1.75)
Hathaway (.650)- Lazar (.950) - Brouwer (4.5)
(extra forward ~ .650)
48.65 million for forwards

Giordano (6.75)- Hamilton (5.75)
Brodie (4.650)- Hamonic (3.857)
Kulak (1) - Andersson (.755)
(extra d ~.650)
23.412 Million for D

Mike Smith ( 4.25)
Rittich (1)
5.25 million for G

Cap: 78 Mil
Buyouts: 904,167
Committed: 77.012
Total:77,916,167
Remaining: -83,833

Would an enormous contract be enough to bring him here for a season? Would it even be worth it for us?
What's the alternative? We can just trot out the same players as we have now and watch them struggle to score again. Or we can trade more imaginary assets for poorly scouted players again. Or we can try to sign Rick Nash and Kovalchuk, throw big money at both of them for 1 year and just go for it.

We are in a unique 1 year window where we'll have the cap space to sign whoever we can that is willing to take a 1 year big money deal. The summer after we'll owe Tkachuk his big raise, possibly Ferland, possibly Sam Bennett, possibly Mike Smith or a new goaltender altogether. All I know is, I don't want to see the same forward group next season.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #46
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it piss the team off too much if we throw that much at him for one year? Unfortunately I think outbidding other teams is the only shot we will have at actually landing him, and even then it's slim IMO. 12.7 would be the 4th highest salary in the league by my quick look (kopitar, Benn, Toews and Kane are higher)
Old 03-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #47
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think you look at dealing Ferland and Brodie, get some scoring help coming back the other way, then sign Kovy or Kane on top of that. I think they need to add a couple scoring pieces to help both the top 6 and our depth. There shouldn't be room for Hathaway to crack the top 9 for an extended period of time like he has.

Frolik should get bumped down as a result, as he's not top 6 caliber offensively.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #48
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

With those numbers, throwing Tavares a huge contract as some have suggested seems... pretty impossible if we plan on keeping Tkachuk and Bennett long term. Unless we can magically get rid of Brouwer and maybe Frolik too. Wow that Brouwer contract is ####ing terrible.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #49
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
With those numbers, throwing Tavares a huge contract as some have suggested seems... pretty impossible if we plan on keeping Tkachuk and Bennett long term. Unless we can magically get rid of Brouwer and maybe Frolik too. Wow that Brouwer contract is ####ing terrible.
If you can pick up Tavares then tbh Bennett is pretty expendable. If he needs to be shed to facilitate that kind of 1-2 punch, then so be it.

Frolik is absolutely tradable to gain cap space if needed.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #50
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol @ people worrying about singing a superstar because that would mean we couldn't keep all of the current roster.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #51
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lol @ people worrying about singing a superstar because that would mean we couldn't keep all of the current roster.
Meh the only one I would worry about signing is Tkachuk but I would still throw the moon at Tavares and just figure it out when the time came anyways.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #52
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Kovalchuk would want to sign in Calgary because _________

Yeah, I can't fill in the blank either
Gulutzan???
Old 03-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #53
Monahammer