Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #161
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
So you mean GG doesn't tell his team to go out and sit back?

That it just might be on the players to stop doing such?

No way!
You know, it just might be that there are multiple variables here, that it isn't as simple as the coach saying "go sit back" or not saying "go sit back"

Obviously, no coach is going to tell his team to sit back (idiocy to suggest it). However, the players do what the coach tells them to do. And we have 2/3s of a season of evidence now:

With the lead in the third, they play really conservatively. They hardly ever press. When the D gain the puck in the defensive zone, they flip it out to center (even when there are open forwards to pass to). If they get the puck in the neutral zone, they dump it in and forecheck very defensively.

I could go on, but just watch their style of play. They play a super conservative style.

And the result of that (even though it isn't the intent), is that they stop skating. And the other team gains momentum because the play is always moving forward (for them).

It drives me crazy how black and white some fans are. It isn't just this or just that. There can be (and there are) a lot of things going on at the same time. ONE of them is that they play really conservatively with the lead. Yes, it is on the players to continue to play well and continue to move their feet. But the nature of that strategy is that it tends to tilt the ice against you. This isn't news.

Nine blown leads in the 3rd period in the last 17 games suggests this might be a trend. Maybe it is all on the players, but to me, that style of play leads to these results.

It is fine to disagree. But why do people need to post with sarcasm or virtriol? Why do things have to be black or white? Why can't there be discussions about what is going well and what is going not so well at the same time?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #162
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If a prevent defense was the plan its entirely possible GG is just upset at the way in which they failed to execute (holding the puck too long in their own end) etc

Which is to say that yes he would want them to collapse into their own end when defending.

Last edited by Toonage; 02-09-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #163
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not implying the Flames had tons of offensive pressure in the third but I think they hired the LA stats guy. Backlund gets a shot and then Frolik gets the rebound and takes another fairly hard shot.

Flames credited with one shot
Old 02-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #164
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Not implying the Flames had tons of offensive pressure in the third but I think they hired the LA stats guy. Backlund gets a shot and then Frolik gets the rebound and takes another fairly hard shot.

Flames credited with one shot
Yeah, after that sequence I was surprised when they mentioned Calgary still only had one shot.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post: