Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #21
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I disagree.

I don't think Fox will want to sign with Calgary if he knows he has to compete with all of Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington, and others.

Plus, I don't think they'll all be able to get the chances they deserve. It'll be too crowded.

Finally, 30 years old isn't exactly ancient. Stone has already here as a UFA once. Hamonic wanted to be traded out west.
As for Brodie, I think he should be traded away anyways.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #22
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I disagree.

I don't think Fox will want to sign with Calgary if he knows he has to compete with all of Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington, and others.

Plus, I don't think they'll all be able to get the chances they deserve. It'll be too crowded.

Finally, 30 years old isn't exactly ancient. Stone has already here as a UFA once. Hamonic wanted to be traded out west.
As for Brodie, I think he should be traded away anyways.
30 isn't ancient but you aren't going to re-sign all of them, just like all 4 of the prospects i listed are unlikely to become full time NHLers.

IMO you keep all 4 so you have more bullets in the chamber to potentially fill out the d with.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #23
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm starting to get the feeling Treliving is going to make a futures deal that is going to come back and hurt the team long term. When I start hearing names of our best prospects being shipped out I just think it is counter productive to the way the league is going where a full pipeline is important to long term viability of the club. Will be interesting to see if he can make a deal, what he brings in, and what heads out of town.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #24
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not Rittich, he’s a keeper
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #25
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I heard that too, I believe it was Chris Johnson. Said he has heard about interest in Gillies and Rasmus Andersson from other teams.
Just reviewing the hockey news prospects mag and while there should be interest, how much and what is yield?

Here’s some non playoff (and bubble) teams with an indentifiable need in goal

Arizona
Buffalo
Carolina
Detroit
Florida
Ottawa

Scour the rosters of these teams and see who we could realistically get for Gillies that has offensive upside. Radim Vrbata or the like? No thanks. Can’t see teams giving up a good young player, probably a rental or a 3rd or 4th liner. Rather hold on and move him for a pick later.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #26
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What’s the deadline to sign Fox? He’s a 2016 draftee in his sophomore year at Harvard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
What’s the deadline to sign Fox? He’s a 2016 draftee in his sophomore year at Harvard.

August 15, 2020
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #28
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post

Adam Fox
3rd round pick
Flames rights expire August 15, 2020
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #29
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I know we're looking for a veteran, but I'm wondering if Arizona would give up Nicholas Merkley. 1st rounder in 2015, good playmaking and offensive instincts, plays RW, shoots right, putting up good numbers in with Tuscon, and is a Calgary boy to boot. If Arizona needs a goalie that badly, it would be interesting to formulate a trade around one of Gillies/Rittich to get this kid.

Otherwise, I would be interested to get Justin Williams out of Carolina. Total playoff warrior and can be relied upon for a top-nine role, adding depth to the right wing. He does have one year left on his current contract (cap hit at $4.5 million) so we'd probably have to trade away some salary too, especially since we need to commit bucks to Backlund.

Thoughts?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:38 PM   #30
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jon Gillies has more attributes, Rittich seems to be the better goalie currently. I’ve been impressed with Rittich’s calmness a postitional awareness in net. Would not want to lose him
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #31
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking at Rittich and Gilles, Rittich has out performed Gilles since he left NCAA.

Gilles had far more hype following his NCAA time, and that hype takes awhile to temper. I wouldn't be surprised if Gilles would return more than Rittich for some teams. The Flames have too many goalie prospects. Moving one of them would make sense.

That said, moving a top prospect for a guy to play 30 games only makes sense if you wind up in the Stanley Cup Final. In other words, don't trade Gilles, or Fox or anyone else with an expiring contract unless you have an excellent reason to suspect he will re-sign for a contract that fits under our cap.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #32
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Gillies in a package for Hoffman makes a ton of sense for both sides.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #33
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gillies or Rittich could return a top 6 scoring winger you'd think a trade would have already happened.

I would have no problem trading Gillies as he has been passed on the depth chart by Rittich and could get passed again by Parsons in a year or two. Maybe package him up with D prospect for help at the deadline or wait until the draft and try to get a 2nd rounder for him.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #34
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all for trading extra pieces like Gillies for a winger, but it has to be a right handed shot sniping winger who will insta-improve our power play. Left wingers (like Hoffman) or generic 3rd liners are not worth it.

If Leivo is that guy, I'm interested, but I'm not familiar with his game.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #35
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Dzingel from Ottawa could be a decent pickup too
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #36
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I know we're looking for a veteran, but I'm wondering if Arizona would give up Nicholas Merkley. 1st rounder in 2015, good playmaking and offensive instincts, plays RW, shoots right, putting up good numbers in with Tuscon, and is a Calgary boy to boot. If Arizona needs a goalie that badly, it would be interesting to formulate a trade around one of Gillies/Rittich to get this kid.

Otherwise, I would be interested to get Justin Williams out of Carolina. Total playoff warrior and can be relied upon for a top-nine role, adding depth to the right wing. He does have one year left on his current contract (cap hit at $4.5 million) so we'd probably have to trade away some salary too, especially since we need to commit bucks to Backlund.

Thoughts?
Can’t see it. Over a point a game player in the Ahl. Probably see him as a piece of their future and would want much more than gillies. Not sure if he’s what we need, another undersized yet skilled 2-3 line tweener. Maybe a player like Toby Reider if looking at Arizona?

How much time does gillies have before he goes ufa? Might be another factor in making him Available. In that case, we may not be able to keep him like I suggested previously and get something vs losing for nothing. Have to worry about waivers soon too I think.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't get an established top 6 RW for Gillies. Maybe Gillies plus Bennett?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #38
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Gillies in a package for Hoffman makes a ton of sense for both sides.
especially the Flames lol
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gillies + Bennett <---> Hoffman + 2nd

Maybe after the Sens deal Smith elsewhere.
Bennett believers might be irked, but I think it's pretty fair. I personally think Bennett's ceiling is a streaky 2nd line winger.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:14 PM   #40
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Swing for the fences, hail mary: Gillies + Bennett + Fox offer for Stone. Add a pick if it helps.

Probably a non starter (I don't think they will move him), but I think that at least doesn't get us hung up on off the bat...
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote